IGNORED

PSP battery at 0% charge

shadow460

Yesterday I purchased another Stamina Pack and it was at 0% charge. Lithium Ion batteries are supposed to be stored at about 40% charge, and they aren't supposed to self discharge like nickel based batteries do. I was also given a standard Sony battery pack for the PSP, and it, too, was at 0%. The Stamina Pack took about four hours to fully charge, and the PSP was in use at 100MHz and with all the power saving features on for a while.

I charged the other battery with the PSP-191 wall wart charger. Both batteries have held firm through about half of their expected runtimes (in fact, the Pandora's battery I made from the standard pack ran for at least two hours on about 50% of the normal charge).

Is this an indication that the batteries I obtained yesterday are dead, dying, or just weren't stored correctly?

Also, does anyone here have spare PSP or cell phone batteries and store them in the fridge?

Most lithium-ion battery packs have a built-in protection circuit that will "disconnect" the output terminals from the battery cell if the internal voltage drops below some thresold. This is done to prevent the device form draining the battery completely, which would reduce the battery's lifetime. In this case, measuring the output voltage will yield 0 V, but that doesn't mean that the battery is dead.

Besides, even Lithium-Ion batteries have a bit of self-discharge, so it can happen "naturally" if they've been stored for a long time.

I wouldn't worry about this.