IGNORED

Atari Computing Magazine - Argus Press Software

spookt

Thanks Paul!

I really don't want people to wait this time so here's the first issue before we set up a proper page: http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/Atari_Computing_Issue_1.zip

Be sure you use the CLOAD command as this is 100% BASIC.

Feel free to send the second and third issues if you want.

BTW, for some reason, the tape files were HUGE so I converted them to a more "standard" size. Did you use Krótki's tool? Great utility but I'm also experiencing the same problem: the tape image is way too big. Tomasz?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by www.atarimania.com

Thanks Paul!

I really don't want people to wait this time so here's the first issue before we set up a proper page: http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/Atari_Computing_Issue_1.zip

BTW, for some reason, the tape files were HUGE so I converted them to a more "standard" size. Did you use Krótki's tool? Great utility but I'm also experiencing the same problem: the tape image is way too big. Tomasz?

--

Atari Frog

Hi

I already sent 2 and 3 - right after number 1. Did you get them or do I need to send again? I must say I didn't look at the size of the cas files. How did you convert them down?

Thanks for getting it out there so soon!

Thanks Paul!

--

Atari Frog

This is remarkable , I don't know how to thank you guys enough!

THANKS AGAIN, you made me so happy !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've just realised that cloading and csaving won't work for one of this issues as there is a game which is a two part load on one of the tapes. It cloads then when run reads data from the tape. Does anyone have any idea what is happening to create such large cas images?

Yes, eventually got the third issue as well, though the size of the file is still a problem. Could you try using WAV2CAS on side B? Should produce something shorter.

BTW, I managed to find the fourth issue but it seems my tape is partly damaged :(

--

Atari Frog

Does the start of side 2 load? I need to check but I *think* I may have a good image of side 1. I'll look tomorrow. I'll try WAV2CAS on issue 3 side b and see what I get.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on issues 3 or 4 ?

Any know who the editor was and if he ended up doing paper magazines too. Just wandering...

The Atarimania folks have issue 3 but I seem to recall needing to try and run my wav file again because a82cas produced a huge cas file. I'll have a look into that.

My copy of 4 is bad. A couple of folks here have issue 4 so we'll have to wait until someone either makes a good dump or sends me the tape so I can try.

Back in the day if I had a dodgy tape sometimes running a tape to tape copy would get around this; the atari would then read the copy (if you can still find a deck) :)

I have a deck and used this exact method to read one side of issue 3 :) I can't actually remember if I tried it with issue 4 ... hmm time to get the tape deck out again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping my own thread.

I now have a working copy of Issue 4 taken from 2 originals, both with faults but happily in different sections.

I have cassettes for issues 1 through 10. 1,2 and 3 have been imaged an I have cas files. Issue 4 is ready to image, the rest I need to work through. I'm going to continue to contribute these to AtariMania but I'm also going to make them available on my own web page which I'm setting up at the moment since the guys over at AM seem to be very busy much of the time.

Does anyone know how many issues were produced. I'd swear I've seen issue 14 but I could be making that up. I'm sure they went past 10.

Hopefully I can get something online in the next few weeks and start imaging the rest of the tapes.

Bumping my own thread.

I now have a working copy of Issue 4 taken from 2 originals, both with faults but happily in different sections.

I have cassettes for issues 1 through 10. 1,2 and 3 have been imaged an I have cas files. Issue 4 is ready to image, the rest I need to work through. I'm going to continue to contribute these to AtariMania but I'm also going to make them available on my own web page which I'm setting up at the moment since the guys over at AM seem to be very busy much of the time.

Does anyone know how many issues were produced. I'd swear I've seen issue 14 but I could be making that up. I'm sure they went past 10.

Hopefully I can get something online in the next few weeks and start imaging the rest of the tapes.

Hi Guys

I'm a new member of the forum, having re-found my interest in 8-bit Atari.

I found this forum and your thread whilst searching for "Atari Computing" by Argus Press. I remember the 'magazine on a tape' very well indeed as I contributed to one edition of it and now have a son who I'd like to show the program I wrote when I was 16 yrs old, in 1984 school summer hols.

I can't be sure but I think it may have been on edition 6 or so... it was a text adventure called 'Golden Reef'. I'd love to get hold of a copy of it again.. can you help??

Thank and Kind regards!

Bumping my own thread.

Hi Guys

I'm a new member of the forum, having re-found my interest in 8-bit Atari.

I found this forum and your thread whilst searching for "Atari Computing" by Argus Press. I remember the 'magazine on a tape' very well indeed as I contributed to one edition of it and now have a son who I'd like to show the program I wrote when I was 16 yrs old, in 1984 school summer hols.

I can't be sure but I think it may have been on edition 6 or so... it was a text adventure called 'Golden Reef'. I'd love to get hold of a copy of it again.. can you help??

Thank and Kind regards!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I remember playing 'Golden Reef' or 'Treasures of the Golden Reef' as I think it was billed on the tape inlay and yes I have at least one copy of the issue that it's part of.

I'll dig it out and see if I can post it here. Any particular format? I can post an ATR you can use in the emulators or via APE etc.

Hi spookt,

That would be great, if you can post it in CAS format, that would be most ideal. Did you manage to complete the adventure?

Also, if you do have more than one copy of the issue containing my program, would you be open to selling your spare copy, (even if the spare has some faults)?

Cheers!

Porge