IGNORED

X-Arcade Joystick and Tron

Midnight Synergy

I'm thinking about getting the X-Arcade Joystick for Mame emulation. I noticed that their official literature lists Tron as one of the games to play with the stick, but none of the versions seem to have a dial control. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you just end up using two buttons to rotate e.g. the tank turret, or does the actual joystick twist?

I'm thinking about getting the X-Arcade Joystick for Mame emulation. I noticed that their official literature lists Tron as one of the games to play with the stick, but none of the versions seem to have a dial control. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you just end up using two buttons to rotate e.g. the tank turret, or does the actual joystick twist?
It's really pretty hard to play Tron with ANYTHING but the original setup. Before WinXP, the best option was the Logitech Wingman Warrior, but Logitech refuses to continue support for serial joystick in XP. :x

wmwarrior.gif

Nowadays, when I play, I find I can get by with using my trackball for the spinner, but it's not really the same.

It's really pretty hard to play Tron with ANYTHING but the original setup. Before WinXP, the best option was the Logitech Wingman Warrior, but Logitech refuses to continue support for serial joystick in XP. :x

wmwarrior.gif

Nowadays, when I play, I find I can get by with using my trackball for the spinner, but it's not really the same.

Thanks for the reply - I take it then that none of the X-Arcade Joysticks have spinners, correct?

wmwarrior.gif

Thanks for the reply - I take it then that none of the X-Arcade Joysticks have spinners, correct?

That is correct, although they do make one with a trackball in the middle. The other issue is with the fire button. Since Tron had a "flightstick" type of joystick with a trigger, you need some other way to fire. I'm able to do this with my Kensington trackball, but it's not really ideal, and I'm not exactly breaking any records either.

On the other hand, it is possible to add a spinner yourself. Here is an article from a guy who mounted an Oscar Controls Model 3 spinner in his X-arcade. Problem is that I believe that Oscar is no longer in business so getting one might not be easy.