IGNORED

Fast Mail Slow Mail

Varan

I won an auction from a seller in the UK. I'm in San Diego. He shipped the package to me on July 2nd.

Later that day I dropped my rent check into the mailbox outside my house. Late in the day but before the last pickup. The letters destination is 13 city blocks away.

4-day weekend!

Monday I get a reminder to pay my rent. WHAT!?

Tuesday my rent check reaches it's destination. So does the package from the UK.

That's just crazy.

Anyone ever asked the difference between AirMail and Surface Mail?

I did and here's how it went...

Me: "So what is the difference between AirMail and Surface Mail?"

Postal Clerk: "Surface Mail goes by boat, the boat only leaves when its full"

Me: "OK, then what boat goes from Central California to Canada?"

Postal Clerk with a blank stare then smiles and says:

"I don't know, thats a good question"

I really don't think they know much down there... :D

Don't ask the post office questions, it only confuses them. :D

My wife and I are waiting for a package from california, sent priority mail.I have proof the the person who sent it that it was sent. It's been 3 weeks.

The package is 3ft by 3ft. How do you lose a package that size?

It's not like is fell behind the seat or something.

It will probably be like one of those stories you see every once in a while on tv. A letter or package is delivered 20 years later.

Anyone ever asked the difference between AirMail and Surface Mail?

I did and here's how it went...

Me: "So what is the difference between AirMail and Surface Mail?"

Postal Clerk: "Surface Mail goes by boat, the boat only leaves when its full"

Me: "OK, then what boat goes from Central California to Canada?"

Postal Clerk with a blank stare then smiles and says:

"I don't know, thats a good question"

I really don't think they know much down there... :D

the actual difference is:

surface goes by airmail, but only when there's room left. that's why the definition priority is now also used more and more on worldwide shipping ... it just means the airmail packages have a priority to leave first ... so surface mail can be held back for a month if the stocks of surface mail are too big .....

but you can never predict:

i sent 2 items to albert on the same day:

a) one envellope, 1 pound heavy, surface: should take 10 days, took 3 weeks ....

b) 24 pounds of games in a giant box, surface mail, should take 6 weeks and took 12 days !!!!

i got two sets of posters shipped in january:

a) set A was shipped on the 13th and arrived in late february

b) set B was shipped on the 16th and arrived on the 22nd

can someone explain that to me ?!?!

;P

Yes i can explain it.

You see the more they raise the price of stamps and shipping the more they (postal workers) goof off. :roll:

The more they goof off the more they can argue for more money to get the job done quicker?

So they goof off more so they...

You see it's simple don't ask any questions at the post office it only confuses them.

It will get whenever they feel like delivering it.

maybe today, maybe not.

maybe tomorrow, maybe not.

maybe never maybe not.

I have discovered that using the post office is about as reliable as the stock market as of late.

You put something in and get nothing or less than what you put in at the other end.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a truely strange story about the US Postal Service...I live in Reading Pennsylvania (about 115,000 pathetic souls live here), I sold an item on eBay and when I received the payment, the mailing address was West Reading, about 3 miles from my home, so I simply emailed the buyer and said "hey, I'll drop it off on my way home from work" He wanted no part of that (I guess I'm Scary :x ), anyways, I mailed it PRIORITY (my standard shipping method) Thinking since it's such a short distance it should be more like Express mail (overnight)...no no no my friends... 11 DAYS!!! How does that work??? I send a package 3 miles, it takes 11 Days, I send a package 3200 Miles to CA, it takes 2...HOW DOES THAT WORK OUT?

• 2 weeks later...

just thought i'd update on that package my wife and I were waiting for.

IT ARRIVED!! :) :)

Six weeks from CA.The package was mailed june 25 and arrived yesterday.

This package was thought to be "lost" :sad: by all. The psot office didn't know where it could be.

The seller even refunded our money :)

We emailded the seller last night to say we finally received it and to arrange re payment.

Six weeks talk about snail mail.

I've had a few horror stories on the receiving end of some postal shipments, but I don't think I've EVER had any issues with items I have sent out over the past 2 years (400+ packages). Since most mail is sorted by machine, perhaps it's a good idea to have the address you are sending to printed as CLEARLY and LARGE ENOUGH to read easily. I print out the address that the person sends me from their email on my template using large bold type that is very clear (it's about 3x5 when I cut it out). I have received hand-written boxes and envelopes that I could barely read. I've also had people just cut out my address from an email that I sent them, but it was smaller than a postage stamp and barely obvious! Also, if you recycle boxes, make sure that ALL OTHER writing and or old address labels are removed or covered well, you don't want to confuse them!

I can't complain too much about the USPS although the prices are getting steep. Last year I received a package on Sunday Dec 23rd, and I got another one on Monday Dec 24th. I was pretty impressed since they were not special services that were supposed to be delivered on a Sunday or holiday (like express mail).

I recieved a package from central Ohio to mid Mighigan via Priority mail. The post mark stamp shows it was picked up at Post office 15 days before I got it. I guess the post office "lost" my priority package for that other 12 days. :P and I'm still waiting for the Intellivision I won off eBay 4 years ago. of cource I've moved 3 times since then so it's very doubtfil it'd ever find me.

But the real kicker was a package from Windsor (Canada) took 2 months via air mail to reach me in Michigan less than 200 miles away. I could have driven myself to get it the same day it was available for me rather than waiting 2 months. :? :? :?

I'm tempted to make a web site chronicling every slow post office delivery. I have never had problem with USP or Fed Ex delivery before. :D