IGNORED

MAME video stutters

Uzumaki

3.06GHz P4, NVidia 6800, 2GB RAM.

Any reason STUN Runner would stutter a lot in video? The whole image frequently shifts down about 1/3 of the way like there's a bad sync issue. I've been getting the same stutter for a while, way back to when I first tried MAME (version .7-something) so either it's an unsolved issue with MAME or something with my PC.

• 1 month later...

This sounds like a problem I used to have with my system. In the end I basically had to shut down all unnecessary background apps and processes to get a smooth picture.

Some processes aren't even visible on the taskbar like ituneshelper and Adobe Speed Launch. You need a program like "Startup Control Panel" to disable any programs you don't want to autostart with your computer. Just be careful you don't disable something your system needs or you could have a bit of trouble :)

Even an antivirus can be a culprit, disconnecting the PC from the internet and shutting off your virus protection may be an option. However I use AVG and it doesn't give me any problems.

Have a close look at your taskbar and see what programs are running there, sometimes it can be loaded with crap that can be shut off before playing.

All these processes and programs use CPU power and can access the harddrive while playing, which may explain the stutter. Or maybe it is just a sync issue. Some mame games have weird refresh rates that PC's can't use without some hardcore intervention.

If you go into "Options -> Default Game Options -> Advanced" what options do you have checked?

Also, make sure your computer is free from malware. That can really screw things up.

If you already know all this, then sorry :)

Good luck

Sam

PS - I just had a quick play on MAME and had no stutter, so it must be something on your system. If you post more info maybe we can work it out

Edited by majinbuu