IGNORED

Xenophobe XE now for sale?

DracIsBack

Video61? Is this the guy that runs around threatening Atari developers and even Atariage with lawsuits? No thank you, we should all be boycotting Video61.

Lance? I don't think so. You must be thinking of someone else.

Tempest

He's probably referring to Lance's outrageous posts regarding the SpartaDOS issue (most recently here and here).

Much as I'd like to support Fandal's efforts, I wouldn't buy from Video61, either. If somebody else wants to buy a bunch of cartridges from him and resell them, that's another story, but I won't do anything that benefits Video61 directly.

Video61? Is this the guy that runs around threatening Atari developers and even Atariage with lawsuits? No thank you, we should all be boycotting Video61.

Lance? I don't think so. You must be thinking of someone else.

Tempest

He's probably referring to Lance's outrageous posts regarding the SpartaDOS issue (most recently here and here).

Much as I'd like to support Fandal's efforts, I wouldn't buy from Video61, either.

Apparently I missed that thread. I don't really follow Spartados that much.

Tempest

Hahah.. Yeah, just so you guys know.. I can't speak for A;bert, but I know i'm still shaking in my boots, waiting for the day that he "comes after me" legally..

In fact, after the way he "went after" Steve, didn't get a damn thing (except some legal bills for himslef) and then seemed satisfied with his imaginary outcome, I have no problem believing that his lawyers may be INCREDIBLY GREEDY and UNSCRUPULOUS (I'll leave their religeon out of it since it's irrelevant, but perhaps that's what he meant by "jewish".)

God, what a retard. Everyone who has a non-official copy of SpartaDOS, or has it illegally backed up, archived, or hosted ANYWHERE is criminally defrauding Lance of his "intellectual property.."

Geeze.. I'm glad I fall into the category of people who have a life..

Someone needs to convert ZENOPHOBE to .XEX...

Joking again? Have you read post 31?

I guess he just has a unique sense of humor (unless his heart is hard like metal) :D :D

Poor Fandal...... :evil:

I agree with Metalguy. Dump the ROM, get it out to the community.

Well - just so you know the whole story. If it wasnt for Fandal then this ROM wouldnt be available to the community. Fanadal put out some serious $$$ to purchase the beta cart and then shipped the ROM to Lance for production so the whole community could get their hands on it. Fandal only gets a small amount of $$ for each cart to recoupe his initial cost.

So saying you wanted it posted for the community - how about supporting the person who put out over $1k so the community could enjoy this cart.

Beef with Lance or not, its really helping Fandal who has done alot for the community as a whole.

I would also pay Fandal directly for a copy of the game, but the other route... not so much. I've also not purchased Tempest Xtreme, even though it looks like a great port of the game.

I had purchased some things a while back from Video61, don't remember if it was through ebay or where... but after reading his rants on here (and via google searches) i have a real difficult time purchasing from him :(

CharlieCron.. Thats a rediculous point of view and heres why..

Whoever originally HAD the cartridge could have ripped the rom and released it long ago..

Instead, they chose to basically "hold it for ransom".

What fandal did, was raise money on his own, in order to buy the thing from those people at whatever rediculous price they were asking.. So, yeah he deserves to be recompensated for this... He HAS MADE IT AVAILABLE to the community.. He just picked a piss-poor channel to go through.

I can not blame him for trying to get his money back... Optional Shareware fees rarely amount to much at all... Ask the author of ICE-T how many shareware donations he's recived.. and look how many people have used his program and really liked it...

The second thing I'll say is that he has done ALOT of awesome super-cart conversions.. Made them run on a 320k machine, from .XEX, instead of having to have a cartridge...

He has definitely done his part to make alot of kewl stuff available to those who can't afford to buy everything on cart..

He just picked a really poor choice of services to sell Xenophobe through..

I wonder if Video61 claims "copyright" to XENOPHOBE now...

• Like 2

Well - just so you know the whole story. If it wasnt for Fandal then this ROM wouldnt be available to the community.

I guess this is where I disagree, the way I see it, if it wasn't for Fandal this ROM might be available to the community, right now it isn't.

Interesting thinking....

A collector owned the cart and wouldnt release it - they then decided to sell it to the highest bidder. At what point before this time were you thinking the ROM would become available?

You also had the option of bidding over $2000 to win the ROM outright and release it on your own.

Instead Fandal pu this money where his mouth is and purchased the ROM to ensure the community would get to play it. The cost of the cart is no where near what it would've cost you to acquire it and all he is asking a some $$ back to offset his costs.

So explain to me how Fandal is preventing the community from enjoying this release?

You could always pay his $2k and Im sure he'll turn the ROM over to you to share as you wish.

Wouldn't surprise me. And I like your idea of a donating to Fandal, to support what he's doing without benefiting Video61. Fandal, would you consider sending the cartridge binary to people who make a direct donation to you (with the understanding that they are not to share or distribute it, of course)?

Whoever originally HAD the cartridge could have ripped the rom and released it long ago..

What fandal did, was raise money on his own, in order to buy the thing from those people at whatever rediculous price they were asking.. So, yeah he deserves to be recompensated for this... He HAS MADE IT AVAILABLE to the community.. He just picked a piss-poor channel to go through.

I can not blame him for trying to get his money back... Optional Shareware fees rarely amount to much at all... Ask the author of ICE-T how many shareware donations he's recived.. and look how many people have used his program and really liked it...

The second thing I'll say is that he has done ALOT of awesome super-cart conversions.. Made them run on a 320k machine, from .XEX, instead of having to have a cartridge...

He has definitely done his part to make alot of kewl stuff available to those who can't afford to buy everything on cart..

Beat me to it but great msg.

Wouldn't surprise me. And I like your idea of a donating to Fandal, to support what he's doing without benefiting Video61. Fandal, would you consider sending the cartridge binary to people who make a direct donation to you (with the understanding that they are not to share or distribute it, of course)?

IIRC Fandal destroyed all content he had for Xenophobe when he released it to Lance.

IIRC Fandal destroyed all content he had for Xenophobe when he released it to Lance.

:?

He paid $2K for the ROM and didn't even keep a copy of it? Why?

His goal was to make it available to the community - part of that was contacting with Lance to handle distribution which I believe meant that no other means would be available. Maybe Fandal will stop by and give us the full back story.

But again his #1 goal was to make this avail to the community for a reasonable price which he did.

Well at least it's out there, even though I'm not happy with the method. Fandal was nice enough to let me borrow the rom for my review. I still plan on getting a copy of the cartridge when I can, but at the moment I couldn't run it anyway (damn you Warerat where is my XL/XE 800 mod!)

Tempest

Fandal also releases kewl games (e.g.: Diamondz) on a regular basis. So, yea, he deserves our support for his sacrifice on Xenophobe. Although, I imagine he made a fair amount of his dough back when he initially sold the cart to Lance.

Interesting situation, with Lance being thrown into the mix. It will be released eventually. If you can't stand to buy it from Lance and you're not 90, you still should be able to try it before you die. :)

Edited by MrFish

Does Lance or video61 have the rights to reproduce this game, since i would assume that either Microstyle (one of the various s/w lables owned by microprose in the 80's) or Atari still own the copyrights etc for all non coin op versions of the game (or did he approach directly the coin op manufacturer, bally/midway and secure reproduction rights from them)

If neither are the case, I can't see how this lance person has the right to sue anyone or threaten anyone for a game he does'nt have the rights to reproduce

If he is claiming rights to reproduce the game, perhaps he would be kind enough to show us any contracts he had with either atari or microstyle (who own the non coin op rights) or bally/midway (now time warner), since simply owning a proto version (sold to him by someone else, fandal in this case) doesn't give him the rights to sell repro's of the game

Is anyone else thinking that $2000 is a lot of money for a game, rare or not :?: :!: Were there really several bids of this sort of money :?: Was there something specific about this game or have their been others that fetched such large sums :?:

Just wondering :ponder:

Yes there was alot of interest in this release - I had 4 people lined up to pool money to make sure the community could get it - thats when I found out Fandal was going to fund the purchase himself.