IGNORED

Xenophobe XE now for sale?

DracIsBack

People seriously don't see a problem with someone having 4000 games available for download saying "Don't dump this ROM!!" ?

It certainly looks hypocritical. But it also seems that Fandal made an agreement not to distribute the rom dump as part of his sale to Lance. Fandal could easily go back on his word and sell the dump to recoup some of his loss, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to do that. I fully expect he will stick to his agreement with Lance.

Does Lance or video61 have the rights to reproduce this game, since i would assume that either Microstyle (one of the various s/w lables owned by microprose in the 80's) or Atari still own the copyrights etc for all non coin op versions of the game (or did he approach directly the coin op manufacturer, bally/midway and secure reproduction rights from them)

If neither are the case, I can't see how this lance person has the right to sue anyone or threaten anyone for a game he does'nt have the rights to reproduce

If he is claiming rights to reproduce the game, perhaps he would be kind enough to show us any contracts he had with either atari or microstyle (who own the non coin op rights) or bally/midway (now time warner), since simply owning a proto version (sold to him by someone else, fandal in this case) doesn't give him the rights to sell repro's of the game

Very unlikely that he owns any rights to reproduce the game. I haven't read any such claims either. All he owns is a collectible piece of prototype silicon. It's too bad that Fandal couldn't afford to keep it as part of his collection. What's worse is that he ended up having to sell it to someone like Lance.

People seriously don't see a problem with someone having 4000 games available for download saying "Don't dump this ROM!!" ?

It certainly looks hypocritical. But it also seems that Fandal made an agreement not to distribute the rom dump as part of his sale to Lance. Fandal could easily go back on his word and sell the dump to recoup some of his loss, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to do that. I fully expect he will stick to his agreement with Lance.

Who cares about the rom dump.. What we were suggesting is that fandal go ahead and release a fully-baked .XEX version, with the understanding that shareware donations would be expected from anyone who likes the game and decides to keep a copy in their collection. Those who desire the convenienece/collectability of a cartridge would still buy the official cart.. Its been proven time & again. (eg. look at the Yoomp package.. sold out, despite the fact that the game, itself was free to everyone...)

There are those of us, who dont like plugging & unplugging carts.. I'd just as soon have everything in a .xex that can be run from hardisk, SIO2PC, etc..

As far as Fandal "going back on his word" with Lance... heh.. It's be a damn stupid agreement if the stipulation was that NO OTHER VERSION of Xenophobe could be sold or distributed IN ANY FORM except the cart version from Video 61.. That sounds like some crap that a greedy copyright wielding bloodsucker (like the guy who claims to own the rights to all disk based versions of SpartaDOS) might come up with and/or insist to..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Who cares about the rom dump.. What we were suggesting is that fandal go ahead and release a fully-baked .XEX version, with the understanding that shareware donations would be expected from anyone who likes the game and decides to keep a copy in their collection.

I understood that.

As far as Fandal "going back on his word" with Lance... heh.. It's be a damn stupid agreement if the stipulation was that NO OTHER VERSION of Xenophobe could be sold or distributed IN ANY FORM except the cart version from Video 61..

I don't know the details of the sale, but Fandal said he deleted the ROM dump after he sold the cart to Lance. Why else would he do that?

That sounds like some crap that a greedy copyright wielding bloodsucker (like the guy who claims to own the rights to all disk based versions of SpartaDOS) might come up with and/or insist to..

I agree 100% percent.

Yah I vowed never to purchase from Video61 after I read something he posted in 2001 about how his "Jewish Lawyer's love money"

Usenet post

Is this guy for real?

lets set the record straight. my grandfather was jewish. he owned a business. his advice to me was that "many people will not recognize your private property rights, agreements, or contracts, they will steal from you. so if you want good results, get a jewish lawyer, because that is all i use, and i am a jew". and he was correct, many people will not recognize other peoples private property rights. so i follow his wise advise.

the problem with the internet is that there are people with agenda's, and then there are people who will believe anything anyone else says about others.

I would also pay Fandal directly for a copy of the game, but the other route... not so much. I've also not purchased Tempest Xtreme, even though it looks like a great port of the game.

I had purchased some things a while back from Video61, don't remember if it was through ebay or where... but after reading his rants on here (and via google searches) i have a real difficult time purchasing from him :(

sorry to hear about that. lets set the record straight. i own spartados3.3. i have a recorded bill of sales, and a recorded copyright. if you understand how copyright laws work, you will not think i am ranting. otherwise, if you do not recognize private property rights, what kind of country are we becoming? someday someone will not recognize your rights, then we will see if what you say will be construed as a rant.

i claim no ownership of any other sparta-dos, and never have, people with agendas are putting words into my mouth, and then there are those who believe everything they read about others.

this thread reminds me of those kinds of conversations i have with the mrs where in the end, everything is bad... and everyone is pissed...

maybe we should just stop here?

sloopy.

Nor would I want him to go back on his word, or breach a contract if that is the case.

Video61? Is this the guy that runs around threatening Atari developers and even Atariage with lawsuits? No thank you, we should all be boycotting Video61.

Lance? I don't think so. You must be thinking of someone else.

Tempest

He's probably referring to Lance's outrageous posts regarding the SpartaDOS issue (most recently here and here).

Much as I'd like to support Fandal's efforts, I wouldn't buy from Video61, either. If somebody else wants to buy a bunch of cartridges from him and resell them, that's another story, but I won't do anything that benefits Video61 directly.

Wow, i have bought quite a few things there and am quite happy! :D

I would also pay Fandal directly for a copy of the game, but the other route... not so much. I've also not purchased Tempest Xtreme, even though it looks like a great port of the game.

I had purchased some things a while back from Video61, don't remember if it was through ebay or where... but after reading his rants on here (and via google searches) i have a real difficult time purchasing from him :(

sorry to hear about that. lets set the record straight. i own spartados3.3. i have a recorded bill of sales, and a recorded copyright. if you understand how copyright laws work, you will not think i am ranting. otherwise, if you do not recognize private property rights, what kind of country are we becoming? someday someone will not recognize your rights, then we will see if what you say will be construed as a rant.

i claim no ownership of any other sparta-dos, and never have, people with agendas are putting words into my mouth, and then there are those who believe everything they read about others.

If you really want to set the record straight, Lance, lets see some form of documentation showing that Bob Klas actually had the right to SELL you rights to any version of SpartaDOS... Othertwise, no matter how much money you waste with your lawyers, your claim does not hold water..

Bob Klas (or anyone else for that matter) can draw up a contract of sale for ownership of the White House too.. Doesnt mean he has the right to sell it..

And really, as many places and ways that so called "sparta 3.3" has been distributed, modified, used as part of other projects, etc... heh.. We might as well be talking about the rights to Paris Hilton's virginity..

Your claims are so outrageous, it's hilarious..

But you could shut me up.. I will post a full apology and retraction of all my statements, if you can show me a contract between previous rights holders to spartados and Bob Klas, giving him the rights to the disk based spartados product.. Carden admits he never had any such rights.. The source he and Ken used to make their "enhancements" was reverse engineered from an earlier version of the DOS binary. At the most, you may own the rights to the changes Ken & Steve made(even though steve claims he never sold these to Bob either), but that hardly gives you the rights to the resulting binary.

If you really want to set the record straight, Lance, lets see some form of documentation showing that Bob Klas actually had the right to SELL you rights to any version of SpartaDOS... Othertwise, no matter how much money you waste with your lawyers, your claim does not hold water..

Bob Klas (or anyone else for that matter) can draw up a contract of sale for ownership of the White House too.. Doesnt mean he has the right to sell it..

And really, as many places and ways that so called "sparta 3.3" has been distributed, modified, used as part of other projects, etc... heh.. We might as well be talking about the rights to Paris Hilton's virginity..

But you could shut me up.. I will post a full apology and retraction of all my statements, if you can show me a contract between previous rights holders to spartados and Bob Klas, giving him the rights to the disk based spartados product.. Carden admits he never had any such rights.. The source he and Ken used to make their "enhancements" was reverse engineered from an earlier version of the DOS binary. At the most, you may own the rights to the changes Ken & Steve made(even though steve claims he never sold these to Bob either), but that hardly gives you the rights to the resulting binary.

if you really want to know the job you are doing for your master, ask tom hunt, ken ames, or bob puff about mr. cardin, see where it gets you. back in the mid 1990's, bob and i started to invest in the supra interface bob owned. ken ames did most of the work, if not all of the work. the interface could have done cd-rom, and 512 byte sectors, it was impressive, in 1998 we would have had much more modern capabilities that are just coming on line now. ask ken what happened to the code ken worked so hard on after cardin came over for a visit.

it was the end for bob klass, he has had enough of cardin, it drove him out of the business, and i purchased it all. ask tom hunt, or bob puff if they are willing to work with mr. cardin.

all you have is your personal opinion of the situation, and that is all you have.

if you really want to know the job you are doing for your master,

I assure you Im acting completely independantly here. If anything, on behalf of the whole Community. Not Mr. Carden..

ask tom hunt, ken ames, or bob puff about mr. cardin, see where it gets you. back in the mid 1990's, bob and i started to invest in the supra interface bob owned. ken ames did most of the work, if not all of the work. the interface could have done cd-rom, and 512 byte sectors, it was impressive, in 1998 we would have had much more modern capabilities that are just coming on line now. ask ken what happened to the code ken worked so hard on after cardin came over for a visit.

Sorry to here Steve didn't "play nice with you boys" that day... Who cares???

it was the end for bob klass, he has had enough of cardin, it drove him out of the business, and i purchased it all. ask tom hunt, or bob puff if they are willing to work with mr. cardin.

Not that I care.. But in defense of "my master" I'll say that niether of them does ANYTHING on the atari front these days, regardless of whether or not Steve Carden is involved..

all you have is your personal opinion of the situation, and that is all you have.

Heh.. Dude, even a total MORON can see that the burden of proof in this situation is ON YOU.. My oppinion is totally irrelevant.. In my "oppinion" you are a total freakin "Tool" who got screwed by Bob Klas. But the FACT of the matter is that you have no (or have not shown any so far) proof that Bob Klass ever held the rights to the source and/or binaries of SpartaDOS 3.3a/b/c pro... And until you do that, you have ZERO LEGAL BASIS for telling anyone what that can or can't do with said code/binaries.. And any fool can see this.. It's hardly an "oppinion"..

So please... SHUT ME UP.. Show us the agreement(s) that Gave Bob Klas (K - Products) ownership of the rights to the following:

A) the code base which was and is the disk based version of sparetados, from which 90% of the product you claim to own was directly derived..

B) the code improvements made by Ken Ames and Steve Carden..

If you can't show proof that Bob Klas (K-Products) owned BOTH of these, at a minimum.... Then you are pissing in the wind... And if your attourney tells you otherwise, then maybe you really should consider getting a "non jewish" attourney.. Because he is taking you for a serious ride..

if you really want to know the job you are doing for your master,

I assure you Im acting completely independantly here. If anything, on behalf of the whole Community. Not Mr. Carden..

ask tom hunt, ken ames, or bob puff about mr. cardin, see where it gets you. back in the mid 1990's, bob and i started to invest in the supra interface bob owned. ken ames did most of the work, if not all of the work. the interface could have done cd-rom, and 512 byte sectors, it was impressive, in 1998 we would have had much more modern capabilities that are just coming on line now. ask ken what happened to the code ken worked so hard on after cardin came over for a visit.

Not that I care.. But in defense of "my master" I'll say that niether of them does ANYTHING on the atari front these days, regardless of whether or not Steve Carden is involved..

Heh.. Dude, even a total MORON can see that the burden of proof in this situation is ON YOU.. My oppinion is totally irrelevant.. In my "oppinion" you are a total freakin "Tool" who got screwed by Bob Klas. But the FACT of the matter is that you have no (or have not shown any so far) proof that Bob Klass ever held the rights to the source and/or binaries of SpartaDOS 3.3a/b/c pro... And until you do that, you have ZERO LEGAL BASIS for telling anyone what that can or can't do with said code/binaries.. And any fool can see this.. It's hardly an "oppinion"..

So please... SHUT ME UP.. Show us the agreement(s) that Gave Bob Klas (K - Products) ownership of the rights to the following:

A) the code base which was and is the disk based version of sparetados, from which 90% of the product you claim to own was directly derived..

If you can't show proof that Bob Klas (K-Products) owned BOTH of these, at a minimum.... Then you are pissing in the wind... And if your attourney tells you otherwise, then maybe you really should consider getting a "non jewish" attourney.. Because he is taking you for a serious ride..

you are doing this for yourself, you wish to be a big fish in a little sea. so if you want to do this for the community, the courts are where it is to be done. so take me to court.

I dont have to take you to court lance.. Everyone is doing as they damn well please with your supposed "intellectual property".. All I'm telling you is that until you produce PROOF that you did indeed purchase ownership of said property LEGITIMATELY, you can continue to expect as much..

You know what Lance.. I have nothing against you.. and I truly am sorry for being a dick.. I just get rubbed the wrong way when people say they are gonna "come after me legally"..

Enough people seem to think you are a decent guy, and I am inclined to believe them.. And nothing on your site is unreasonably priced.. Steve Carden is not "my master".. But he does feel like you attacked him.. Do the rights to that SpartaDOS version really mean THAT much? I mean it really doesnt represent any sort of sales potential to speak of. You'd do much better to have Steve on your side than against you. I think at this point in the game, everyone understands that no one is gonna make tons of money off the ATARI community.

I dont have to take you to court lance.. Everyone is doing as they damn well please with your supposed "intellectual property".. All I'm telling you is that until you produce PROOF that you did indeed purchase ownership of said property LEGITIMATELY, you can continue to expect as much..

i know piracy is rampant, but if you understood thge copyright laws, you know what i have to do.

You know what Lance.. I have nothing against you.. and I truly am sorry for being a dick.. I just get rubbed the wrong way when people say they are gonna "come after me legally"..

you are the one making the threat. i have to respond.

Enough people seem to think you are a decent guy, and I am inclined to believe them.. And nothing on your site is unreasonably priced.. Steve Carden is not "my master".. But he does feel like you attacked him..

you have no idea of his history. you really need to bone up on him. i have given you 3 names. do some snooping. i bought out k-products, and i will not allow myself to be bullied by cardin, like he did to the 3 names i have given you and poor bob. he drove many out of the business.

Do the rights to that SpartaDOS version really mean THAT much?

yes, i purchased them legally. i have a legal notarized bill of sales, and have long ago registered my copyright with the united states government.

I mean it really doesnt represent any sort of sales potential to speak of.

how do you know?

You'd do much better to have Steve on your side than against you.

there is the mr. cardin thing again. when i purchased k-products, i did not purchase mr. cardin. but he thinks so, and he keeps trying. , he was paid for his work by k-products. i do not want to end up like bob klass, bob puff, tom hunt, ken ames. i will remain free of him.

I think at this point in the game, everyone understands that no one is gonna make tons of money off the ATARI community.

i make me entire living off of atari. i pay all my bills, i pay royalties to the people who do work for me. i do what i can to make new products available to the atari market. and i think a court will respect that.

I've Stayed Quiet through most of this, but I'm going to throw in my two cents worth here.

Regardless, if Lance has filed a copyright with the US Copyright office and he had the documentation to back that up, then it really doesn't matter what anyone says. check the US copyright office and you will see that he is listed as the copyright owner for SpartaDOS 3.3 a/b/c/PRO.

Please Remember, you don't Speak for everyone here. I've known lance for several years and I consider him to be a good and honest Man.

Do you mean to Say that it doesn't bother you that several of the most innovative minds that was ever involved in the Atari Scene were made to feel like their work wasn't respected and left because a single person (that said they wanted to help the Atari Community) Turned around and shafted them?

Well, There is a reason that they left the atari Community. They were screwed by him. It was the straw that broke the camels back. If you don't believe that, then just ask one of them.

If you can't show proof that Bob Klas (K-Products) owned BOTH of these, at a minimum.... Then you are pissing in the wind...

The Burden of proof is on Lance, that's true, But only in a court of law and Not Here. He Doesn't have to prove anything to you or anyone else here.

And if your attourney tells you otherwise, then maybe you really should consider getting a "non jewish" attourney.. Because he is taking you for a serious ride..

Now come on MetalGuy, The Jewish Comment was just uncalled for. Lance's comment Many years ago was Based on his opinion that a person of Jewish decent was, In his opinion, Above average compared to anyone else in that field. It may be a stereotype, But it's one that I wouldn't complain about having if I was Jewish. =)

Metalguy, I've Got Nothing Against you. but some of these things are a bit too much. Remember You Brought this up in this thread. Not Lance. There was really no reason for this discussion. on the Original Argument, If Fandal wanted to have lance produce Xenophobe, then that was his right. Lance Pays him royalties for the Sales, which Fandal Deserves. you said it yourself, His Products in his store are reasonably priced. Lance is, after all, a good Atari resource in a time when it is rare to find one.

So why the Argument? Maybe we should just close this discussion and move on to more constructive things. =)

Kjmann, I know for a fact that Bob Puff didnt leave the ATARI community because Steve Carden Screwed him.. In fact, to this day, Steve is one of the few people who's phone calls Bob will take or return immediately.. They have a good relationship to this day, and Steve has had many productive dealings with Bob in the last few years..

As far as a registered copyrigth goes, I'd be real interested in seeing exactly what is actually included in that copyright..

I understand how copyright laws work, having worked in the digital media industry for several years. I still think you are ranting :) but that is MY opinion. do you have the registration number of the copyright? I did a search on the us copyright site and did not find any registrations for you and sparta dos, there was a SPARTA.DOS index copyright for Kenneth A Smith back in 1985. but nothing so far otherwise.

what the bottom line is in my point of view, was did the person who sold you sparta dos really have copyright on it, was copyright of sparta dos transferred from the original author/company to the gent who made the BBS software? if not, then I don't think that he can get copyright on vrs 3.3 (IANAL however) and don't plan on paying a bunch of cash to a lawyer to get that question answered.

without an authenticated trail of ownership and transfer of copyright, any copyright that you should register can be challenged, most likely successfully by an outsider/3rd party. (once again IANAL) however I do know from some cases I was involved in while I was working closely with the corporate lawyers at 2 of my jobs, we successfully challenged, and got copyrights cancelled for media when we could prove with authenticated documentation that the person that had registered copyright on media our companies did legally acquire from 3rd party purchases did not in fact have authenticated proof of ownership of the digital media nor did they have authenticated proof of transfer of copyright of the digital media.

I don't know s. cardin and am not "one of his lackeys" to fend off that argument that you seem to like throwing about :(

and the rest of us do not know what sort of contract that was had with mr cardin for his work on spartados 3.3 if the contract did not specifically specify that he was handing all rights to his code over to the person he coded for, then those rights did not transfer.

companies that want the right to the persons code specify that in the contract, as omitting that leaves them SOL.

And if your attourney tells you otherwise, then maybe you really should consider getting a "non jewish" attourney.. Because he is taking you for a serious ride..

Now come on MetalGuy, The Jewish Comment was just uncalled for. Lance's comment Many years ago was Based on his opinion that a person of Jewish decent was, In his opinion, Above average compared to anyone else in that field. It may be a stereotype, But it's one that I wouldn't complain about having if I was Jewish. =)

I don't know about that one, that sounded pretty derogatory to me and I'd be very hesitant to deal with someone who said borderline anti-Semitic things like that. I mean, why on earth would it matter if his lawyers were Jewish or not?

Anyhoo...

KJmann and/or Apolloboy: go find some other place to accuse people of being antisematic.. Or even read the entire thread before you make an ass of yourself..

No one is being anti-sematic.. We just refer back to Lance's original reference to his "Jewish Lawyers".. Whether my Oppinion of Jews is Good or bad, its tough to discern what someone means when they say someone is acting "jewish".. Just like its tough to discern what is meant when someone is accused of acting "black" or acting "white".. or even "being a polock" etc. etc..

He is the one who originally referred to his lawyers as being "jewish".. He now claims that was a positive, and literal reference.. I was just saying that If his lawyers are advising him that he can hold a copyright to something that he purchased with no proof that the seller had the rights to it, then he should get DIFFERENT attourneys..

Any fool can see that ethnicity, religeon, and social demographics are completely irrelevant to this conversation.. So go take your bleeding-heart californian liberal politically correct ass somewhere else and go bitch at someone who cares.. Intelligent people have had their fill 1000 times with morons who make accusations & rediculous demands based on so called "racial/ethnic insensitivity".. Like ot or not.. We all came from somewhere.. To ignore differences in race/religeon/culture and act like a bunch of absolutley "generic" people would not only be ignorant, but impossible.. So take off the rose tinted glasses and blinders, and deal with it..

edit: btw, My father is 100% German, and my grandfather on my Mother's side is 100% Polish. My Wife and I are Sunni Musim, my father's family is Roman Catholic, and my mother's is Episcopal. Anyone who wants to comment on any of this is more than welcome to do so.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

So go take your bleeding-heart californian liberal politically correct ass somewhere else

Don't you even dare bring politics into this. Also, I wasn't accusing anyone of being anti-Semitic, I was just saying that his remarks sounded like it, that's all. There's a difference between calling someone anti-Semitic and calling a remark anti-Semitic.

Edited by ApolloBoy