IGNORED

Wii Trailers and Commercials are so damn gay.

ManShowBoy

How many Metroid threads has Room34 started over the years? :P

Yeah yeah... and you guys know the only reason you haven't been hearing from me for the last few days is that I'm too busy playing!

(You also know I'm a total Nintendo fanboy and I'll admit it. :P )

Actually I HAVEN'T been playing MP3 that much this week, but it has to do with having kids now. My son is 4 and he's all over what's going on with the Wii and the DS, so actually in the past few days I've mostly been playing Mario Party 8 and a bunch of VC games -- Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country, and some Super Metroid too!

Look at it this way if you feel that a comparison across systems is essential;

Is Metroid on Wii (the highest profile "shooter" on the "fun" system) outperforming the highest profile "fun" game on the "shooter" system? The answer is most likely yes I'd think and really more telling than any Metroid vs. BioShock comparisons.

But the reality is.....

NPD August U.S. Sales Data

Software

MADDEN NFL 08 (360) - 896.6K

MADDEN NFL 08 (PS2) - 643.6K

BIOSHOCK (360) - 490.9K

MADDEN NFL 08 (PS3) - 336.2K

PLAY W/ REMOTE (WII) - 256.8K

METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION (WII) - 218.1K

MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED (WII) 147.4K

GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR (PS2) - 145.4K

MARIO PARTY 8 (WII) - 138.3K

GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S (PS2) - 127.1K

Kinda also missed the mark on the whole comparison anyways.

Not as bad as you think.

Edited by Starscream

Dude this just shows I'm right.

The 360 games in this list are a shooter and a sports game. So you can expand the "shooter system" comment to include shooters and sports if you want. It doesn't change anything.

The stigma with Wii is that it's the "fun system", casual gamers only, no "real" games. And here we have a big time shooter for Wii "a real game" in the top 10. Where's the casual, party or fun 360 game on this list?

Would you expect Fusion Frenzy 2 to do well on the "hardcore" 360? Probably not, and if I'm correct, it didn't.

Would you expect a "hardcore" shooter to do well on the casual Wii? But it is.

That's my point.

Either buy and play Wii, or quit trolling this board.

I find both the Wii and the 360 quite fun. I usually end up playing the 360 more, but that is due to the fact that there are simply more games available on the used rack (since I tend to be a cheap bastard :))

As for the 360 being a shooter system...1) it's not as bad as the original Xbox was, 2) Who cares what a systems label is, as long as its fun (and both of they systems in question here are...if you don't think so, then you are simply a blinded fanboy. Period).

As for "where is the fun game on the 360 on the top 10 list"...errrr....Bioshock IS fun ;)

Yes I know you are right and by no means am I trying to say any game type isn't fun. However, by fun games here I'm pointing to simple fun stuff with little depth. Like Wii Play. Call them fun, call them casual, it's all semantics really.

None of this really reflects how I feel about either system, but each of them do have a stigma or a label about what games they are supposed to have, who buys them and why. That's how it is and has been with consoles for a long time.

I'm pointing out that Metroid is doing well despite this label and helping to shed Wii's stigma of casual fun (i.e. no depth). That's it.

Dude this just shows I'm right.

The 360 games in this list are a shooter and a sports game. So you can expand the "shooter system" comment to include shooters and sports if you want. It doesn't change anything.

The stigma with Wii is that it's the "fun system", casual gamers only, no "real" games. And here we have a big time shooter for Wii "a real game" in the top 10. Where's the casual, party or fun 360 game on this list?

Would you expect Fusion Frenzy 2 to do well on the "hardcore" 360? Probably not, and if I'm correct, it didn't.

Would you expect a "hardcore" shooter to do well on the casual Wii? But it is.

That's my point.

Either buy and play Wii, or quit trolling this board.

Actually, I was pointing out your incorrect assumption that a shooter can't be fun. I think if you ask those almost 500k people who are playing Bioshock if it's fun, almost all will say yeah. So there ya go.

Party games are not a must on a video game system. Neither is this undying concern for "casual" gamers. And really, the stigma I thought the wii had was party/mini game system. But that was kinda my point really. As you claim the 360 is a shooter system and I would think the wii is a party system, we both think that because of what each respective system does best. So, no problems there really. The link was provided to show that the 360 really doesn't have many shooters, but the ones it does have are really shine. I couldn't find a chart for the wii but I would suspect that party games aren't the major percentage.

I'm pointing out that Metroid is doing well despite this label and helping to shed Wii's stigma of casual fun (i.e. no depth). That's it.

And all I was pointing out that started all this was that I was surprised that BioShock was outselling a game that should have had a huge built in audience. I don't know why you would assume a Metroid game wouldn't do well, the franchise has been around since the NES. In spite of peoples claims that Metroid isn't a huge seller... articles on the Metroid series indicate otherwise. Apparently Metroid is one of Nintendo’s most successful franchises, believe it or not. I should hope the game would do well.... But if it's important to you that you're right, then OK....You're right. (About what I have no clue) Hopefully it's doing well enough to encourage producers of Wii games to make deeper and more engaging games.

BTW, Just because peoples opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean they don't have a Wii and doesn't mean they are trolling.... it aint all about you, the fact remains, that commercial is lame. :cool:

Edited by moycon

You're right. (About what I have no clue)

Remember how this started with Bioshock outselling Metroid and how surprising that was? I was just aiming to point to a reason why this might be happening and why it isn't unexpected.

BTW, Just because peoples opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean they don't have a Wii and doesn't mean they are trolling.... it aint all about you, the fact remains, that commercial is lame. :cool:

So what you think he's not being a tool like usual? Something valuable to contribute to the Wii community in a Wii forum perhaps, or did he appear only to argue with me and talk about Xbox here? What's that definition of trolling again? Wake up man.

Remember how this started with Bioshock outselling Metroid and how surprising that was? I was just aiming to point to a reason why this might be happening and why it isn't unexpected.

It started with you implying that Metroid was out performing BioShock, then when you got pwned by the numbers, changing that to mean just being in the top 10 and thowing around labels like "fun" vs "shooter" system, "hardcore" and "stigma", implying "hardcore shoorters" aren't fun, then when you got pwned again, redefining what you mean "fun games" are. :ponder:

So what you think he's not being a tool like usual? Something valuable to contribute to the Wii community in a Wii forum perhaps, or did he appear only to argue with me and talk about Xbox here? What's that definition of trolling again? Wake up man.

Correcting misinformation and defending that against your continued misrepentations of other games/system is trolling? :roll:

Didn't know the Wii forum was for Wii owners to spew bullshit about performance and other systems & games unchallenged. :ponder:

Sorry, but maybe if you'd stop making incorrect statements, changing and redefining what you say/mean in every subsequent reply, we would't be here with, what, 8 or 9 replies of this back & fourth with you. :|

It started with you implying that Metroid was out performing BioShock, then when you got pwned by the numbers, changing that to mean just being in the top 10 and thowing around labels like "fun" vs "shooter" system, "hardcore" and "stigma", implying "hardcore shoorters" aren't fun, then when you got pwned again, redefining what you mean "fun games" are. :ponder: .

If you don't understand that everyday consumers have pre-conceived ideas when it comes to videogame systems and that it correlates with what games should, and do sell well, then you're a fool. You can put "quotes" around anything you want, it shows that you missed the core point and got hung up on the labels used to illustrate it. Success is relative. Try looking at it a different way. If apples and oranges must be compared, at least level the playing field first and understand what's being compared and how.

Didn't know the Wii forum was for Wii owners to spew bullshit about performance and other systems & games unchallenged. :ponder:

See, and I thought this was a forum for Wii enthusiasts to meet and discuss it.

If one is not enthused about Wii to begin with and really only shows up here to challenge thoughts on a competing product for which they are very much an enthusiast, that's called trolling where I come from. This is why they seperated the forums to begin with, so that we could discuss the system du jour without people who have no vested interest interjecting.

these commercials back when the Wii was first released was the major factor in me not wanting one. I'm sorry, but the commercials are terrible, everybody looked like idiots waving their arms like monkeys on speed, jumping and hoping around everywhere, much like the Dragon Ballz design has turned me off of Blue Dragon for the 360, the commercials for the Wii have turned me off of that.

these commercials back when the Wii was first released was the major factor in me not wanting one. I'm sorry, but the commercials are terrible, everybody looked like idiots waving their arms like monkeys on speed, jumping and hoping around everywhere, much like the Dragon Ballz design has turned me off of Blue Dragon for the 360, the commercials for the Wii have turned me off of that.

So the games it plays don't matter then? You decided to not like the Wii based on how people in commercials look and because some woman didn't pee. Are you sure you like games? I mean, if that's enough to turn you off from a whole system, I have my doubts if you actually enjoy the hobby.

Edited by Atarifever

See, and I thought this was a forum for Wii enthusiasts to meet and discuss it.

See, if my warnings earlier this year in the PS3 forum mean anything, I think Figgler's idea about the forum is correct. As a matter of fact, I have to assume that, given some of the things I was told, if I were to post a topic in the PS3 forum implying that something about the PS3 was "so damn gay", I'd have been warned about it very early on. Perhaps I'll go make that post now. Then I'll make a post about how the 360 makes you look "like a total fag". Seeing that seems to be the level of discourse passing the strict standards here in the Wii forum, I imagine we'll have a lively debate uninterrupted by mods.

Edited by Atarifever

Success is relative.

See, if you said that to begin with instead of "Metroid is outperforming..." which doesn't equate to the same thing, we wouldn't be here now. ;)

I think Figgler's idea about the forum is correct.

So do I. Each dedicated group is for discussing said dedicated system. No problems here. Every system has enough valid pros & cons to legimiately discuss without resorting to misleading information. To that end, if one has a valid point to make, then one can make it without such tactics.

None of it says that misinformation deserves to go unquestioned. By all means, feel free to browse the PS3/360/any-other groups and correct any misinformation being made in those groups when you encounter any. More people then not would appericate that, actually.

So the games it plays don't matter then? You decided to not like the Wii based on how people in commercials look and because some woman didn't pee. Are you sure you like games? I mean, if that's enough to turn you off from a whole system, I have my doubts if you actually enjoy the hobby.

it was a MAJOR FACTOR, not the only factor. i game to relax and unwind, not to get all worked up again, or have to jump around wildly while flailing my arms around like a retard on crack, so in the way I tend to play games, yes this was a major turn off watching just how animated the people had to be to play the games, that is not unwinding or relaxing, and I'm sure i'm not the only person that feels this way, so bash a way again raging nintendo fanboys, bash away, heaven forbid someone say 1 bad thing about the wii ever, i've never seen a group get so bent out of shape so easily.

Plus with the games I enjoy, there aren't many on the Wii, and the ones there are, I can play on other systems with better controls.

Edited by Atari5200

Those early commercials did just the opposite for me. I thought that the games looked like fun, and the people playing them looked like they were having a good time. It looked like a completely new and fun way to play games...turns out they were telling the truth, because the Wii is fun as hell. I just wish it had more games that appeal to me...I'm sure there are more on the way :)

Success is relative.

See, if you said that to begin with instead of "Metroid is outperforming..." which doesn't equate to the same thing, we wouldn't be here now. ;)

I think Figgler's idea about the forum is correct.

So do I. Each dedicated group is for discussing said dedicated system. No problems here. Every system has enough valid pros & cons to legimiately discuss without resorting to misleading information. To that end, if one has a valid point to make, then one can make it without such tactics.

None of it says that misinformation deserves to go unquestioned. By all means, feel free to browse the PS3/360/any-other groups and correct any misinformation being made in those groups when you encounter any. More people then not would appericate that, actually.

No No silly. You're wrong.

The separate forums were made so folks could blow sunshine up their favorite game system producers ass. If it means posting BS information, so be it. as long as it's positive...it's good. We don't want anybody correcting other peoples happy-ass comments even if they are incorrect in these forums, that’s why they split them up…so we wouldn‘t have to read the truth. Personally I think we need stronger moderation, maybe like an Atari Age KGB that will stamp out all the negative, evil comments. Maybe ban the evil doers that cause us such deep and heiness grief.

Heil Nintendo!!!

I don't know about that, thought it's funny. I've just found that Nintendo fans are more "sensitive" than even the most die hard Sony fans. Look at my posts above. The commercials for the Wii were really a turn off for me and I get flamed and basically my entire gaming as a hobby or for enjoyment is questioned. I mean that's a little extreme. It's not out of the ordinary for people to see commercials and be like, wow, i don't think I'd enjoy that.

I don't know about that, thought it's funny. I've just found that Nintendo fans are more "sensitive" than even the most die hard Sony fans. Look at my posts above. The commercials for the Wii were really a turn off for me and I get flamed and basically my entire gaming as a hobby or for enjoyment is questioned. I mean that's a little extreme. It's not out of the ordinary for people to see commercials and be like, wow, i don't think I'd enjoy that.

I don't know if they are more sensitive. They seem to be targets more often than MS or Sony fans. That said, Sony and their fans have taken alot of flack over the PS3, while MS has had to deal with the RROD so maybe I'm wrong on that.

Maybe its that the things that Nintendo fans get bashed for are about games being kiddie, or immature or whatever. Those kind of things are more insulting than talking about hardware failures or $600 systems. Nintendo fans get bashed on stuff that is quite a bit more subjective.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, forget about what people look like while playing, what about those graphics? Those are on par with N64 Mario Party. I'm also questioning if thats a real Wii game, where's Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach etc..?

Where you born with a stick up your bum?

sonydefenseforce.com

Now thats some funny shit.

Even better would be Wiidefenseforce.com. Protecting Wiis 99% of the time! :rolling:

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

I think it's ironic that when any post in modern gaming comes up dissing wii and nintendo fans jump on it to defend it, the finger gets pointed at them for always running to the defense. But what are all the non-nintendo fans doing posting in the Wii forums in Wii threads dissing the wii?

And if anyone ever says that Bioshock was a sleeper title or a surprise hit, then you surely missed the hype leading up to it. EVERYONE that I work with that plays games, which is about 12 people, we're all wanting it the second it came out and haven't stopped talking about it since. So, I am not surprised about those numbers at all. I don't know if you people have just missed that build up or what.

Metroid Prime 3 is not just an FPS. It is most definitely a Adventure game first. In fact, I've never played a FPS like Metroid. Even System Shock or Deus Ex. So trying to say that it being the only FPS on the Wii should make it sell better, that really does not make sense to me. At least not every big game that comes out on Wii is an FPS... :roll:

But what are all the non-nintendo fans doing posting in the Wii forums in Wii threads dissing the wii?

So if someone states what they believe is the truth...that is, that a bunch of simple, or quickly discarded games are getting released for the Wii....Then they are non-Nintendo fans and shouldn't be allowed to to post their opinion in the Wii forum? Where exactly should they post this information or should they just keep it to themselves? What if they can name examples? Should that be discarded as well? Maybe they should be banned for their treachery? Dear god I hope you haven't picked up this months issue of EGM, I'm sure after reading the article "Wii Crap : Why bad games are flooding the system", you'd demand the magazine be removed from the newstand or worse maybe you'd just rip them up? :cool:

And if anyone ever says that Bioshock was a sleeper title or a surprise hit, then you surely missed the hype leading up to it. EVERYONE that I work with that plays games, which is about 12 people, we're all wanting it the second it came out and haven't stopped talking about it since. So, I am not surprised about those numbers at all. I don't know if you people have just missed that build up or what.

That BioShock was a hit wasn't the surprise at all.

BioShock was not a proven franchise regardless what team worked on it. Metroid was.

BioShock had a few months of hype, just like any other new game. Metroid has had over a decade of proven gameplay.

So BioShock was a kick-ass game and sold well. That's not the surprise here.

The surprise is that in spite of having an almost equal amount of systems in consumers living rooms, Metroid didn't sell better. (Or maybe it did sell awesome and just didn't have a lot of pre-orders, or maybe the pre-order figures will be included in the Month of Sept to better compete with Halo 3?...I dunno, I would think the number sounded low.)

Based on the information available for Aug though a thoughtful person might have to assume, many of the folks buying Wii aren't interested in Samus. You would have us believe that a possibly new franchise should outsell proven ones because of a bit of pre-hype? So good thing Mario Galaxy wasn't released last year or Saints Row would have blown it out of the water, eh? :ponder: :lol:

Just so you know, I'm not knocking Wii, It was just something I noticed, and this is from a guy that subscribes to video game magazines , and checks out videogame websites. (I don't believe I missed the hype) The hype for BioShock wasn't any more intense than any other game. Two Worlds had some great pre-hype, I didn't see that game flying off the shelves. Someone mentioned the groups name that worked on BioShock, and I've already forgotten. Like that sold the game? We've never seen solid proven developers produce games that turned out sucky and didn't sell jack? LOL I'm guessing 1.1% were geeky enough to have bought it for that reason alone, if that high of a %. The game is just an awesome game. I've heard Metroid P3 is a great game too. There-in lies the surprise, Why didn't Metroid dominate. Don't hate me for being surprised, there's solid reasoning behind it. ;)