IGNORED

400 computer

atari5200dude

does the 400 computer use a GUI?

If it uses text only how hard is it to learn?

No, no GUI.

What I found: The Atari 400 boots-up into "Notepad", the only built-in program. Any other programs will have to run from cassette or cartridge - this includes BASIC, or any other programming language.

At least the later ones like the 600XL and 800XL had BASIC built in - with those you get a blank blue screen that says "READY." That's it.

Is the 400 a good computer? I may be getting one

This is a good place to learn some more:

http://www.atariarchives.org/

An 800 would give you more memory. The 400 may be limiting.

Or you could go for the 800XL. It has 64K. A 600XL could put you in the same spot as the 400 - the 600XL has only 16K.

There's the XE line, too.

Is the 400 a good computer? I may be getting one

This is a good place to learn some more:

http://www.atariarchives.org/

An 800 would give you more memory. The 400 may be limiting.

Or you could go for the 800XL. It has 64K. A 600XL could put you in the same spot as the 400 - the 600XL has only 16K.

There's the XE line, too.

Actually I seen a 800xl I'll look into that too but what is the best of ataris computers

if i do get an atari 400 is it worth my time? or should I get a 800xl

If you are just wanting to get one to experiment with an Atari 8bit system and are not looking to collect, I would recommend the 800XL or 130XE since they are the most able to do whatever you may want them to do. They will be the most compatible with the most software/hardware.

if i do get an atari 400 is it worth my time? or should I get a 800xl

If you can get it cheap enough, a 400 is worth your time. If you want something that will play most of the 8-bit games without modification, the 800xl is a better choice. If you want to do any programming, the 800xl is a better choice since the 400 has a flat keyboard.

BBS'ing, local connections, with the right code you could do pretty much the same connecting with it as you could with any modem. I haven't seen any in a long time, but you could even get email if someone had another computer set up to make it work in your dialing range(when I say dialing range, I mean if you were willing to pay long distance or got lucky and had somebody local). You can still BBS and do that stuff, but most likely it'll be long distance calling.

Nathan