IGNORED

Homebrew 2600 game needed for JStella demo

Mauvila

Thrust supports the CBS Booster Grip, which adds 2 extra buttons that are wired to the paddle inputs. Thrust uses the extra buttons as Fire and Thrust. I bet the paddle readings are coming across if those buttons were pressed.

There's also http://www.ataritimes.com/jstella

Also the Atari's pixels are fat compared to other systems. The applet width x height should normally be set to 320 x 192 or 640 x 384 instead of 480 x 480.

The AtariTimes has some "protected" content, and I wouldn't want to link to it without permission from the site owner.

Yeah, the 480 thing I think was just random numbers I made up for example's sake, but then I was lazy so I just cut and paste the example tag. I'll change it soon.

By paddle inputs, do you mean the analog dials, or the buttons? (I think one of the buttons overlaps with a joystick direction, or something like that).

Thrust supports the CBS Booster Grip, which adds 2 extra buttons that are wired to the paddle inputs. Thrust uses the extra buttons as Fire and Thrust. I bet the paddle readings are coming across if those buttons were pressed.

Thrust still doesn't work correctly. :(

Okay, Thrust is now working...working differently at the very least. The new version of JStella (0.79) supports Booster Grip...the default keys are F for trigger and G for booster. Here is the newest incarnation: http://jstella.mauvila.com

Thanks for trying to support my game.

But unfortunately it is still very buggy:

1. the normal fire button doesn't work anymore

2. thrusting with F seems to be way too strong and unrelated to the ships direction, making the game unplayable

3. wrong colors (right difficulty switch set wrong)

And you are using a pretty old binary. You can get the lastest version here.

Okay, Thrust is now working...working differently at the very least. The new version of JStella (0.79) supports Booster Grip...the default keys are F for trigger and G for booster. Here is the newest incarnation: http://jstella.mauvila.com

Thanks for trying to support my game.

But unfortunately it is still very buggy:

1. the normal fire button doesn't work anymore

2. thrusting with F seems to be way too strong and unrelated to the ships direction, making the game unplayable

3. wrong colors (right difficulty switch set wrong)

And you are using a pretty old binary. You can get the lastest version here.

1. The normal fire button (space bar) works with mine...I don't know what would be causing it to stop working.

2. I'm not sure I know what you mean...I was told that Booster Grip's trigger was essentially a digital button...if it has analog values, then I will need to go in and alter the emulation. What I think it may mean is that when you hold down a button, some systems will cause it to "rapid fire"...is this what you are talking about?

3. The colors can be changed with the F7-F8, but I will add in a way to set the default difficulty settings.

If anyone else notices that the fire button doesn't work, please let me know, and I can try to figure out why.

I think I know what you mean by the thrust being too strong...could this be CPU bug? Do you use "illegal" opcodes during this process? Maybe there are bugs in those, seeing as how most of the ROMs that don't use them work fine, and the illegal opcodes were added recently.

Yes, I use illegal opcodes all over the game: $0c, $a7, $b3

• 6 months later...

Also the Atari's pixels are fat compared to other systems. The applet width x height should normally be set to 320 x 192 or 640 x 384 instead of 480 x 480.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but for some reason when I play thrust at http://www.ataritimes.com/jstella I lost control of the ship right away. I click on the window and try to control it but it just goes nuts. Can anyone figure out why?

I'm glad you brought this thread up because I have a question too.

The sound for regular Stella used to be pretty bad and although it's still not perfect, it's pretty darn good. Is there any way for the sound in JStella to be updated so it sounds better? That's the main thing that is keeping me from using it.

Which roms specifically? The thing I've noticed is that sounds vary from system to system...JavaSound perhaps isn't very consistent. I get a decent sound on my desktop with a terrible sound on my laptop. That being said, there is probably room for improvement, but I would need to know exactly what the differences were between Stella and JStella...how the quality differs...

I'm glad you brought this thread up because I have a question too.

The sound for regular Stella used to be pretty bad and although it's still not perfect, it's pretty darn good. Is there any way for the sound in JStella to be updated so it sounds better? That's the main thing that is keeping me from using it.

Which roms specifically? The thing I've noticed is that sounds vary from system to system...JavaSound perhaps isn't very consistent. I get a decent sound on my desktop with a terrible sound on my laptop. That being said, there is probably room for improvement, but I would need to know exactly what the differences were between Stella and JStella...how the quality differs...

I could make a short YouTube video showing the difference between a real Atari 2600, Stella, and JStella if you think it would be helpful.

I could make a short YouTube video showing the difference between a real Atari 2600, Stella, and JStella if you think it would be helpful.

I'd be interested in seeing that! I'd also be really curious in seeing a 2600 hooked to an older CRT TV vs. LCD and show real phosphor effect vs. Stella phosphor effect and 2600 + LCD vs. Stella without phosphor effect. If you did it though, I'd be careful to show the versions of Stella and JStella (and maybe even say something quick about the OS, memory, cpu, and Java version you are using).

I'd be interested in seeing that! I'd also be really curious in seeing a 2600 hooked to an older CRT TV vs. LCD and show real phosphor effect vs. Stella phosphor effect and 2600 + LCD vs. Stella without phosphor effect. If you did it though, I'd be careful to show the versions of Stella and JStella (and maybe even say something quick about the OS, memory, cpu, and Java version you are using).

I can't do that first stuff with the CRT/LCD, but I can record a bit of E.T. and Tone Toy 2008 on a real Atari 2600, Stella, and JStella. That's a good idea about mentioning the OS, memory, cpu, and program version. I'll make the video tonight if there are no storms in the area.

I can't do that first stuff with the CRT/LCD, but I can record a bit of E.T. and Tone Toy 2008 on a real Atari 2600, Stella, and JStella. That's a good idea about mentioning the OS, memory, cpu, and program version. I'll make the video tonight if there are no storms in the area.

Another thing to do would be to run JStella in console mode (straight from the JAR...double click on the JAR file) and compare it to that sound...that might help in figuring out whether it's the browser or the inherent JStella sound apparatus.

JLA

Another thing to do would be to run JStella in console mode (straight from the JAR...double click on the JAR file) and compare it to that sound...that might help in figuring out whether it's the browser or the inherent JStella sound apparatus.

OK, I did that. Below are two sound comparisons.

First of all, good job on this. But I have a problem. The sounds in Stella 2.5.1 don't sound quite the same to me as yours. In fact, they sound closer to the real machine. Now, I'm using the Linux version, and I assume you're using Windows. I'm wondering if this is causing some differences? It might also explain why I haven't found issue with the sound in Stella; I develop and run Stella in Linux.

Also, I'm probably tone-deaf anyway, as sound/music isn't my thing (I personally don't even own a radio :) ). From my POV right now, the sound is 'close enough', as we're concentrating on the TIA improvements for the next major release. But it's good to have this on record, for everyone to hear the differences. And hopefully we can revisit this in a future release.

Also, from the looks of it, you're using a large buffer size for the audio. I can tell that because the sound and video aren't sync'ed as well as the should be. It's probably set at 2048 right now; try lowering it to 512 and see what happens. If you go too low, the sound will get scratchy, so you'll have to experiment.

Wow...that's very professional looking for a rough test...

I notice that the JStella sound gargles on your system...it doesn't do it on mine. But I suppose the the performance could be tweaked...

JLA

P.S. I fixed a bug in the M6502 class, so now Thrust works. I haven't posted the most recent build yet, but the code is in CVS for anyone interested. If you upgrade, note the different Applet calling convention. I recommend checking out the Medieval Mayhem page at SpiceWare for an example of how to set up the html.

P.S. I fixed a bug in the M6502 class, so now Thrust works. I haven't posted the most recent build yet, but the code is in CVS for anyone interested. If you upgrade, note the different Applet calling convention. I recommend checking out the Medieval Mayhem page at SpiceWare for an example of how to set up the html.

BTW, if you're tracking Stella for updates, I suggest you integrate the latest RIOT changes as well. The old RIOT class, which I assume your code is based on, doesn't work in many cases. Also, if you haven't already, I suggest you subscribe to the Stella commit list, so you can see all these changes as they're being committed (which will also make it much easier for you to cadd the changes yourself).

This is *awesome*! Good job!!!

Also, from the looks of it, you're using a large buffer size for the audio. I can tell that because the sound and video aren't sync'ed as well as the should be. It's probably set at 2048 right now; try lowering it to 512 and see what happens. If you go too low, the sound will get scratchy, so you'll have to experiment.

Thanks. When I record with CamStudio, I have the choice of 11.025kHz, 22.05kHz, and 44.1kHz. It was set to 22.05kHz. Do you think I should set it to 11.025kHz?

Edited by Random Terrain

Thanks. When I record with CamStudio, I have the choice of 11.025kHz, 22.05kHz, and 44.1kHz. It was set to 22.05kHz. Do you think I should set it to 11.025kHz?

No, I mean the buffer size for audio in Stella itself. I can't speak for the software you use for recording, as I've never used it before (I don't have any experience with recording software at all). I guess the only thing you can do is experiment.

No, I mean the buffer size for audio in Stella itself. I can't speak for the software you use for recording, as I've never used it before (I don't have any experience with recording software at all). I guess the only thing you can do is experiment.

Oh, OK. I changed it to 512 and I'll see if that makes a difference the next time I make a video. Thanks.