IGNORED

Is it legal to use Atari roms ?

Math You

I'm sure this question must have been asked before, but after going back through 3 years worth of Atari Age posts I couldn't find a perfect answer. So...

Is it legal for a company or individual to use Atari 2600, 5200 ,7800 and 800 roms, whether for private use on their own computer or in a commercial product such as an un-official Flashback style product? I believe that Hasbro released some roms into the public domain though I'm not sure if there were any conditions regarding their use.

Thanks

Matt

BTW I found this post that kind of answers the question:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39263

Seems like the common sense thing would be if you didn't make it or you didn't buy it or it wasn't released to the public as freeware, you can get into trouble for having it. In other words, you're going to prison for a very long time where manly men share their manly love with other manly men. Turn yourself in. It's the manly thing to do. :D

The short answer is, using any ROM that you haven't not been granted permission to use is wrong.

The long answer is... much longer than that.

In a nutshell, the company now known as Atari has graciously looked the other way when it comes to individuals using their ROM images, and has even allowed AtariAge to continue hosting those images. At the same time, though, AtariAge was obligated to stop selling hacks and reproductions of Atari's games as cartridges.

So, their position seems to be that individual use is fine, but commercial use requires permission which they may or may not grant.

Note that Atari's stance isn't necessarily the same as any third party's stance. In particular, Activision requested that AtariAge not distribute their ROM images, with the exception of a few unreleased prototypes.

That was a very interesting answer, Random Terrain.

Well put. :)

Edited by skunkworx

Seems like the common sense thing would be if you didn't make it or you didn't buy it or it wasn't released to the public as freeware, you can get into trouble for having it. In other words, you're going to prison for a very long time where manly men share their manly love with other manly men. Turn yourself in. It's the manly thing to do. :D

how bout sparing the taxpayers the burdon of paying for your trial by putting a bullet through your head and ending it all? ;)

j/k!