IGNORED

PFcolors with COLUPF

MausBoy

Is there a way to still set the entire playfield color at once when using the PFCOLORS kernel option?

I have a game with multiple screen types, some are gradients, and some are one solid color that fades to black and back. The fade to black part takes up a lot more space with color tables though than just cycling COLUPF from 14 to 0. Is there any way to temporarily restore the playfield to it's default way of applying color?

Is there a way to still set the entire playfield color at once when using the PFCOLORS kernel option?

I have a game with multiple screen types, some are gradients, and some are one solid color that fades to black and back. The fade to black part takes up a lot more space with color tables though than just cycling COLUPF from 14 to 0. Is there any way to temporarily restore the playfield to it's default way of applying color?

I think part of the problem with using tables may be the way the table is positioned in ROM to avoid page-crossing, but if that's true, then you should be able to squeeze 8 tables down to 80 bytes. Otherwise, if you can afford to use 10 bytes of consecutive RAM, you could point the color table to RAM and change it there. But I don't know if there's an easy way to switch PFcolors on and off, at least not without customizing the standard kernel.

Michael

The PFCOLORS mode is switched on at compile time. It's possible with a kernel hack, but I don't know at this time how much work it would be.