IGNORED

Player 3 disappears in bB with multisprite kernel (debunked)

Fort Apocalypse

Player 3 disappears when using multisprite kernel and you move it too far to the right horizontally. If you move it to the left, it is no problem. Wierd! Attached is bin that shows this bug in Stella. (Who knows- maybe it is a stella problem?)

Leave paddle emulator off (so paddles all = 0) and try the following (this is not a working game - for now it is just a demo of the strange behavior). I actually get it while in both (r/l) paddle mode (but for some reason no paddles work for me still).

Also, flickering seems to be bad even though the players aren't on the same vertical scan line. If you have an answer for that too, it would be much appreciated!

ultindy500_0.1.basultindy500_0.1.bin

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Note I'm using Stella 2.3.5 on Win XP and bB 1.0 (at least that is what bB README.txt says).

Yikes! Scared me for a while there, hoping there wasn't a bug in the flickering routine (that is, other than the known bugs that are already there :))

I think the problem lies here:

if paddle < 38 then p3x =p3x - 1 : if p3x < 28 then p3y = 140

I'm pretty sure you want p3x = 140 at the end of that line. p3y=140 would move the third car off of the visible screen.

Edited by batari

Note I'm using Stella 2.3.5 on Win XP and bB 1.0 (at least that is what bB README.txt says).

Yikes! Scared me for a while there, hoping there wasn't a bug in the flickering routine (that is, other than the known bugs that are already there :))

I think the problem lies here:

if paddle < 38 then p3x =p3x - 1 : if p3x < 28 then p3y = 140

I'm pretty sure you want p3x = 140 at the end of that line. p3y=140 would move the third car off of the visible screen.

Doh! Thanks for catching that. Man I suck. Thanks, Batari!

Also, flickering seems to be bad even though the players aren't on the same vertical scan line. If you have an answer for that too, it would be much appreciated!

Last question first-- your car sprites have 2 blank lines at the top and bottom. Take those out, so the cars are only 4 lines tall. Then change the p2y, p3y, p4y, and p5y variables so they're 6 lines apart, because you need at least 2 blank lines between sprites to keep them from flickering-- even if some of the lines are blank.

Leave paddle emulator off (so paddles all = 0) and try the following (this is not a working game - for now it is just a demo of the strange behavior). I actually get it while in both (r/l) paddle mode (but for some reason no paddles work for me still).

I think your problem with the paddles is that you're using the multisprite kernel, and readpaddles is a kernel option, but none of the kernel options work with the multisprite kernel.

Player 3 disappears when using multisprite kernel and you move it too far to the right horizontally. If you move it to the left, it is no problem. Wierd! Attached is bin that shows this bug in Stella. (Who knows- maybe it is a stella problem?)

This might be related to the paddles, since you can't use the paddles with the multisprite kernel yet, and you're trying to use the paddles to control the movements of the sprites.

Michael