IGNORED

Need help with my 5200...

DamienC

I bought a 4-port 5200 a while back at a thrift store and I finally got a switchbox and controllers to use it with... but it won't power up. The light won't come on or anything; nothing happens. I'm quite positive the switchbox and power supply are working correctly. Can someone please help?! If this thing is broke I just might go insane.

How do you know the switchbox is working? The switchbox directs the power to the 5200 itself...

I have had switchboxes that were bad that would both allow and not allow the 5200 to power up.

Just a thought. Anyone else with any ideas?

:?

1st things to check would be the powersupply and switch box.

Given that the 5200 doesnt even light up.

Does the switch box make a click sound if you plug the power into it while the power suply is plugged in to the wall?

If so means the power supply is giving juice and the click would mean the switch in the box is most likely working.

Charlie

Yeah, the switchbox clicks, so that's how I figured both the switchbox and power supply are okay.

The console itself is a little dusty but is in overall good cosmetic shape. I know a guy who will sell me a new 4-port cheap, but I'd really rather try to get this one working.

I don't know what to tell you about your problem, but I've been after a 4-port forever. As a matter of fact, when my 5200 was *new*, I wanted a 4-port even then.

SO, if you get yours working, and you still know somebody that can sell one cheap, AND you're somewhere nearby (I'm in northern NJ) so that shipping isn't a deal-killer, please, please let me know.

Thanks,

NoahsMyBro

:? :? :?

Okay, this is really getting weird.

I opened up the 5200 just to see if anything was loose or otherwise awry inside. I forgot I still had the thing plugged in and hooked up.

I picked up the board, when suddenly the light went on and the system powered up! I scrambled for a cart to test with, when the light went out again. After fiddiling with the board for a while, I came to the conclusion that the system only powers up when I have my hand beneath the motherboard directly below the on/off switch. I tested a few carts (yes, while holding my hand under the board), and some worked fine, and others didn't work at all. For example, Berzerk and Pac-Man worked fine, while Defender crashed right after the Atari splash screen.

This is really REALLY weird... can any tech-types here give their opinions and/or possible ways to fix this?

a

My girlfriend (who had an electronics class in high school and knows a little bit more about electronics than I do) and I checked out the solder side of the motherboard, and the spot below the power button looks fried. So we're thinking that someone probably left the thing on too long or something and burned the power button.

I wonder if there's any way to fix this, but there probably isn't. Any ideas?