IGNORED

Atari 3D???

iguana

There was a company planning to do just that actually... Amiga, in fact, before they sold the computer to Commodore to get it released.

On one hand, they were planned to be cassettes for a device similar to the Supercharger, so I'm not sure they could be done on a non-supercharged 2600.

On the other hand, after the crash began, there were going to be multicart releases of these games, so apparently someone at Amiga thought it could be done on cart with no extra hardware (possibly RAM in the carts?).

The point is moot though, since as far as I know no prototypes have surfaced, and therefore it's quite possible that they were never even started.

There was talk on Stellalist about this too, but I don't think anyone's actually tried to make a game, or even demo, proving that it could be done.

I believe it could be possible using the simple red/blue glasses. But programming the flicker/timing issues of two different colored sprites moving simultanously but far enough apart to create a 3D effect has got to nightmarish. It'd have to be damn simple - Pong simple.