IGNORED

Defender II vs Stargate

Troytn

• 2 months later...
It doesn't matter which version you get, both are exactly the same except for the title screen. Personally, I like Defender II, the title is better and it's a red label, but if you like originals, pick up Stargate. It's all good.

I have Stargate already, but even on the emulation packs for the PC and the PSX, it's Defender II...

VidKidz did the design of the game under contract from Williams.. then I think Williams renamed it Defender II later to make sure they owned the Trademark on the name.

Also according to the "Williams Arcade Classics" disc for the psx, Williams programmers were the ones who reprogramed the title screen on the 2600 version. Interesting..

Anyway.. doesn't matter to me, I'll always ONLY know it as STARGATE :)

I'm digging this  topic up, but I know that Williams changed the  name from Stargate to Defender II because of 'legal  reasons'..  Anyone have an idea on what those  legal reasons are?  :?

I seem to remember there being someone else who had produced a board game or something like it called Stargate, and the issue was only brought up when the game was ported to home systems. There is no such thing as a Defender II arcade game.

All IIRC.

Yes I believe Xot is correct. It was something very stupid like that.

Has anybody looked through the code to see if they are indeed the same game (other than the title screen). I mean we only recently found out that Rubik's Cube and Atari Video Cube were actually slightly different.

Tempest

I'm digging this  topic up, but I know that Williams changed the  name from Stargate to Defender II because of 'legal  reasons'..  Anyone have an idea on what those  legal reasons are?  :?

I always assumed it had something to do with the completely-unrelated sci-fi movie "Stargate."

I always assumed it had something to do with the completely-unrelated sci-fi movie "Stargate."

IIRC, Stargate came out AFTER midway/williams changed the name of the game.. I could be wrong though, and have been on at least 1 occasion. :)

Yeah, the Stargate movie came out in the 90's.

Doesn't really matter to me what it's called...the Atari 2600 version of Defender II/Stargate only showed that they could have used the Video Touch Pad for activating the smart bombs, hyperspace, and Inviso instead of the lousy second joystick setup.

I don't even worry about the second joystick, all I need is my laser cannon and I'm ready to go. It's a lot harder, but much more of a challenge, and the 2nd joystick's always there should I really need it.

I think the Video Touch Pad was dead by the silver label era, at least I can't think of any silver games that use it.

I think the Video Touch Pad was dead by the silver label era, at least I can't think of any silver games that use it.

It was dead because the thing was marketed as a game-selling gimmick for the Atari 2600 Star Raiders rather than as an intended true replacement for the keypad controller. With the "video games as a fad" mentality that existed even within Atari at the time, it was no wonder that the Video Touch Pad would be treated like a one-night-stand thing for gamers.

I don't think it was used because Atari figured if people didn't buy Star Raiders, they wouldn't have the Touch Pad, so why bother marketing Defender II for use with it?

Hey Thomas... I think we have your next project!

Hacking Defender2 / Stargate to use the Video Touch Pad controller.. :)