IGNORED

Anything I should know about the 7800?

superjudge3

I really want to get a 7800 but I have no real knowledge of the system other than that it could have competed with the NES and its backwards compatible with the 2600.

Any basic facts/things I should be aware of before I buy one? Also, what's a fair price?

One more question, what games should I avoid? I'm sure there's plenty of good games but as with every system there's probably a few that I should stay away from.

By the way, I've read everything about the 7800 here on AA, so I know that much already.

Thanks

Any basic facts/things I should be aware of before I buy one? Also, what's a fair price?

Fair price? I'd say thirty bucks, assuming you get a small handful of games with it...

One more question, what games should I avoid? I'm sure there's plenty of good games but as with every system there's probably a few that I should stay away from.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Tower Toppler. Seriously, the 7800 version is impossibly difficult.

Oh...speaking of which....you might also want to avoid the US version of Impossible Mission. :)

(sigh) Tower Toppler is my favorite game. So get it.

Here is a link to my site... it's a big, somewhat amusing site all about the 7800 with reviews to every game and additional articles. Value others' opinions on this forum but value my opinion the highest. (just kidding)

In a nutshell, I would say many 7800 games are great, but just as many are god-awful. Do reasearch before you buy. I like the controllers, but many hate them... the system is compatible with 2600 controllers if the 7800 game you are playing only requires one button. The homebrew scene is picking up amazingly, old classic arcade games sometimes have awesome 2 player co-op modes, most original games are quirky and at worst are bad.

Cousin Vinnie

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800

Edited by Cousin Vinnie

It's a good system, depending on your tastes. If you like great arcade ports, it's top notch. Start with Pac Man Collection from the store here, it's *THE* best Pac Man cart on the planet, for any system. There are lots of other good arcade games. Other than that, there are a lot of 'sim' type airplane games, a few good computer game ports, and a few outstanding original titles like Desert Falcon, Ninja Golf (my personal fav), and Tower Toppler.

On the other hand, the system has exactly one platformer, and one rpg(ish) game. If you like that sort of thing, there's not much on the system, thanks to the Trameil's cheapness more than any limitation of the hardware.

All in all, it's a gem of a system, with a small, easy to collect library, and since it plays 2600 games, what's not to like?

Atarifever pretty much summed up my thoughts, too. :D

And Vinnie is right, Tower Toppler is awesome. It's an impossible bitch.....but you'll get addicted and eventually make it to the next tower, etc.

Best games on the system for me (I don't have the homebrews, so don't blow me outta the water):

Food Fight - The Definitive 7800 Game

Centipede, Galaga, Joust, Robotron:2084 - All wonderful translations of the arcade classics

Tower Toppler - This game will eat your soul.

Unique games that I have yet to get:

Midnight Mutants

Scrapyard Dog

Alien Brigade

Basketbrawl

Unique games that I have yet to get:

Midnight Mutants

Scrapyard Dog

Alien Brigade

Basketbrawl

So why list a bunch of rares for no reason?

How are games you can buy everyday in online retailers rare? Sure, they're not $5 each, but I got each of MM and Scrapyard Dog for less than $30. Considering that during the NES era I would have paid $50-60 or so for simialr games, I don't really consider getting games easily for less than half that much 20 years later a big deal. I'd call it rare if I had found them on ebay for $100. Midnight Mutants is a must.

Edited by Atarifever