IGNORED

WEIRDEST Atari 2600 game concept?

Room 34

Journey Escape was a perfectly normal game, avoiding fans, photgraphers, and barriers, and getting help from guys with crowns and little robots...

I always thoght Q-Bert was odd, I mean a little oragne gonzo rip off jumping around on cubes, avoiding springs with teeth? And then swearing when he gets hit?? That's weird...

I always thoght Q-Bert was odd, I mean a little oragne gonzo rip off jumping around on cubes, avoiding springs with teeth?  And then swearing when he gets hit??  That's weird...

I love Q*Bert, as you can see from my avatar. ;)

It´s my favorite game.

Michael

So far in this thread I have seen Eggomania, Dishaster, and Kool-Aide Man mentioned as canadates for the weirdest game. I just thought I should point out that, weird as they are, these are three of my favorite 2600 titles. What does this say about me, I wonder?

My vote would have to go to Amidar. I never could quite grasp the concept behind playing a gorilla being pursued by angry natives on one level, and then playing a paint roller being chased by rampaging pigs on the next. :? Pretty bizarre stuff. To boot, I remember the first time I heard the title of the game, I thought it would be some kind of space shooter, not...well, what it was. :P

Hello fellow gamers:

I always thought "Chase the ChuckWagon" was one of the weirder titles. Granted it was based on a TV commercial...but still.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

(212) 366-3036 (work-day)

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

That's the game I was thinking of -- Mangia, by Spectravision. It's not foreign, just incredibly rare. And what would you expect of a game where the object is to eat all the food your Italian mother gives you -- or feed it to the dog, or throw it out the window.  

Geez, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for original game ideas, weren't they?  :o

mangia it's italian for 'eating'

Osbo

I always thoght Q-Bert was odd, I mean a little oragne gonzo rip off jumping around on cubes, avoiding springs with teeth?  And then swearing when he gets hit??  That's weird...

I love Q*Bert, as you can see from my avatar. ;)

It´s my favorite game.

Michael

Who dosent love Q*bert?

love it, but difficult, once u pass the 50.000 points gets super hard

osbo

It was a game in which you are a dot whose goal in life is to make rectangles without getting clobbered by a dancing, rotating Technicolor line.

And the weirdest part is that Qix wasn’t made for the 2600, which might have something to do with its not being mentioned in a “weirdest Atari 2600 game concept” thread. :ponder: :)

My vote - tho' it's not a bad game - is for "Fast Eddie"... I don't get the "blue meanies on stilts - that, for your pleasure - will occasionally telescope upwards " - or the "catch the glowing objects of happiness" thing.

"Squeeze Box" - unless it's some new form of capital punishment - is pretty darn weird too.