IGNORED

What games do you wish were made for the 7800?

tyranthraxus

Probably the weakest thing about the 7800's delayed launch was the large

crop of old arcade conversion in its inital game lineup. But today what

attracted me to the system were those great conversion of oldies. So

what I was wondering is what games do you wish had been ported to

the 7800?

I myself wish that Frogger and Burgertime had come out, Miner 2049er

would have been great as well. And from a more modern standpoint

Tetris would have been nice. Updates of Pitfall, Missle Command and

Breakout I'd have liked to see but the 2600 versions of those are

amongst the most playable today and wouldn't necessarily have been better.

Although I'd trade all of those in for a beatable version of Impossible Mission 8)

John

hahah...Yes!

I have several games to add to this...and I am sure Tempest will jump in here as well.

These are the games that would have ported awesomely to the 7800:

Moon Patrol

Crystal Castles

Tempest

Jr. Pac-Man (The did a 2600 version...why not 7800?)

Elevator Action

Rescue on Fractalus

Those are what come to mind right now...oh...if only the 7800 had come out when it should have...and stuck around a tad longer...*sigh*

:sad:

Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man would have both been nice. I also would have liked Roadblasters and Gauntlet, although Fatal Run and Dark Chambers are pretty much the same as those two. I would have also liked DEFENDER! I bought a 5200 for the sole purpose of playing Defender. If they could make great ports of Joust and Robotron: 2084, imagine what Defender or Stargate would have been like.

Being a sports fan, anything good sports-wise would have been nice.

I can see them not wanting to cannibalize sales of Bird/Dr. J One-on-One (my favorite game for the system) with a full-court 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 hoops game...but the RealSports Baseball and Football games are virtually unplayable.

Which is a shame, since we know that good sports games could be done in that era--any of the 5200 series (baseball, soccer, tennis) or even the 2600 and 7800 Pete Rose Baseball games rocked. Even a re-do of the 2600 Super Football (the one where you're going north-south, standing behind the quarterback) would have been better than 7800 Football. And look at what Intellivision did--their baseball, hockey, basketball and football games were incredible and responsible for that system's mammoth popularity. And how many versions of baseball alone did the NES system have?

In full agreement with the above titles, I also would have loved to see PacLand for the 7800.

Actually, almost more than different games, I would have loved to see a POKEY onboard for the 7800. I always froth at the mouth when I hear 5200 games. Had the morons at Warner Atari tossed in a POKEY, plus considering the fact it would still need a TIA, the sound would be even better than the 5200... sigh...

Cheers!

Joey

I would have liked to see Super Mario Bros. on the ol' 7800. I know it wasn't possible, with the crap Nintendo was pulling at the time, but wouldn't it have been cool? Mario Bros. is fun, but you gotta upgrade. Besides that, these would have been cool:

Elevator Action (previously mentioned, I'm in total agreement)

Ghostbusters

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (can you imagine how great that would have come out?)

Something Indiana Jones related

Kangaroo

Congo Bongo

Bad Dudes (hopefully better than NES's)

Rambo

P.O.W.- Prisoners of War

Heavy Barrel

• 3 years later...
Rather than ports of other exisiting 2600/5200 games or computer titles I'd have love to have seen other Atari Arcade Games such as:

Gauntlet

Roadblasters

Cloak and Dagger

I Robot

Marble Madness

Paperboy

Return of the Jedi

Peter Pack Rat

sTeVE

Steve, just hearing "Marble Madness" gave me a warm feeling in my heart. With a Pokey chip and out-of-box dual-trakball capability.. you know that could've been THE best 8-bit port of the game out there. Plus it would be a great way to revive everyone's old CX-22 and CX-80 controllers. :)

Qix, Reactor, Burai Fighter, Frogger, Burgertime, Pac Man (thanks you to the homebrewers who have programmed some of these), Championship Sprint, Raiden, perhaps 1945: Strikers would have been possible, too.

Even more: Arkanoid (if not Breakout), an updated Indy 500 (more like the Sprint style arcade with pit stops, cash and such).

Basically, there are tons of games I'd liked to have seen.

The ones I wanna see most besides what's been developed are Reactor and Burai Fighter.

I wish the 7800 had more titles that actually could've competed with the NES. On that note, I echo the sentiment that it would've been nice to play Super Mario Bros on the 7800 but being that it was the NES's mascot, I think it would've been nice if Atari had come up with a sidescroller to compete. I know that Scrapyard Dog was to be that answer, and it displayed the graphical capabilities of the 7800 well, but other than that Louie just wasn't as cool a character as Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. I'd like to see a few more sidescrollers on the 7800.

I also would've loved to have seen some big commercial titles on the 7800 like Batman, Rescue Rangers, and Tetris. Also it would've been nice to have seen some classics like Pac Man, Jr Pacman, Spy Hunter, Frogger, and Defender on the 7800. Hopefully the homebrew scene picks up. :-)

Dunt Hunt would be cool (and very possible also). And why not SMB 1 just for old times sake. I bet Duck Hunt would happen long before SMB 1 by a homebrewer though just for sake of time.

Why??? :?

We have Barnyard Blaster which is better!

935186[/snapback]

Probably he means the real Duck Hunt, not the broken up game that Nintendo put on the NES. (The same could be said about Super Mario Bros and Excitebike.)

I would love to see a 7800 version of Blaster Master. I am almost tempted to get an NES just to play that game again. Although, with my previous experience with our NEW NES back in the day, I don't know if I can put up with the Nintendo Voodoo that has to be performed to get a cartridge to work. My 7800 and 2600's are more reliable now than my NES was out of the box....

I wish Qix had come out for it, although now that you mention it Burgertime would be nice as well.

Chad

110716[/snapback]

I gotta vote for Qix, too. If the 7800 could handle it, of course.

EDIT: Oh, man! I just found a listing that STUN Runner could have been conceived for the 7800! That's my game. I would kill to see a good port of that on the 7800.

Edited by sukotsu9