IGNORED

PAL territory 5200 owners...

liveinabin

Any owners/users of Atari 5200s from PAL territories here? I just want to know how we stand in connecting them to our PAL TV sets.

I myself have a fairly recent Sony WS that'll play NTSC OK but it just has a regular PAL rf input (and the usual av's - scart etc.) - who has one working and what did you have to do? Ta.

Dave

Unless your 5200 has a composite video out mod you can't connect the unit to Multistandard PAL TV - since the RF tuner is PAL only...

You could buy a demodulator (tuner) - to convert the NTSC RF signal into composite video to feed into the TV's AV inputs (if it accepts NTSC AV) but they can be hard to find.

The solution I used to use tho' was a cheap NTSC VCR with the AV output hooked into my Multistandard SONY - worked a charm...

sTeVE

Unless your 5200 has a composite video out mod you can't connect the unit to Multistandard PAL TV - since the RF tuner is PAL only...

??? If you have multistandard TV, there's no problem, except for different RF connector. I just cut it off from that @#$! switchbox and replaced with european one. TV works normally, as rf parts of tvs are afaik completely same. Just the demodulators are different.

Most multistandard TV's, even though they accept video signals from several territories, have only a local territory tuner...

As to the 5200 - if like me you have a 4 port you can't cut off the @#$! switchbox 'cos it powers the unit so you have to go thru the route I outlined :)

sTeVE

Most multistandard TV's, even though they accept video signals from several territories, have only a local territory tuner...

As to the 5200 - if like me you have a 4 port  you can't cut off the @#$! switchbox 'cos it powers the unit so you have to go thru the route I outlined :)

sTeVE

I just wrote it unclear. I'm still using the 4port switchbox, I just replaced the RF connectors. (And I still don't get the difference between PAL rf tuner and NTSC rf tuner, as I just think that it just does demodulate signal off the carrier, which has nothing to do with TV norm).

Well - I tried hooking a 4 port 5200 to a UK purchased WEGA multistandard TV, NTSC capable (it works with all my AV NTSC gear, PAL AV stuff and PAL modulated signals perfectly)

And I get no useable picture, well there may be one, but its hidden by snow and rolling...

I had to use extra cables to hook the US style coax terminator to the UK RF socket - and I have NO idea if that affected the connection (I'm not gonna take off connectors to test it further :) )

This is the TV:

http://212.250.57.233/pro_techspec.asp?pid...A3&Ire=&CatID=1

sTeVE