IGNORED

Pac Man collection is even better than the arcade!

Lord Thag

Wow - thank you everyone - I just noticed this thread and wanted to thank you all for all of the kind words here.

The truth is, I'm nowhere near truly gifted people like Kenfused and Schmutzpuppe who are able to code a game completely from scratch. I have to rely on pre-existing kernels.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to Froggie and Bonq being completed (if they aren't already).

I'm hoping for Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel to be offered in the AA store...

Thanks again :)

Bob

Wow - thank you everyone - I just noticed this thread and wanted to thank you all for all of the kind words here.

It's the least we can do.

The truth is, I'm nowhere near truly gifted people like Kenfused and Schmutzpuppe who are able to code a game completely from scratch. I have to rely on pre-existing kernels.

You are still very gifted, all I can do is play the games

That being said, I am very much looking forward to Froggie and Bonq being completed (if they aren't already).

We all are, will it be a bumper 7800 Xmas?

I'm hoping for Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel to be offered in the AA store...

Cool, I will definitely be buying them

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Bob

Pleasure :D

If this makes it to a cartridge, I hope the designer adds a POKEY chip. Everything else in this collection is great, but good grief, the sound effects are intolerable! I'll never understand in a million years why Atari and GenCom thought that it would be a good idea to use a 2600 sound chip in this console...

If this makes it to a cartridge, I hope the designer adds a POKEY chip. Everything else in this collection is great, but good grief, the sound effects are intolerable! I'll never understand in a million years why Atari and GenCom thought that it would be a good idea to use a 2600 sound chip in this console...

If what makes it to cartridge? I must be misunderstanding, or I missed a post about something besides PacMan Collection, which is on cart in the AA store.

Edited by Atarifever

It's available NOW? Boy is my face red!

Red like Santa's suit. Which is appropriate, because it was first available Christmas 2006! :P Don't feel too bad though, I missed Beef Drop the first time, and I generally spend more time reading up on the 7800 than most people spend doing... well... anything.

Heck, figured I'd contribute my thoughts here since it's a Pac-Man Collection! thread. (Am I the only one who notices the exclamation point in the title?)

For the first time in over five months, I connected the 7800 tonight and had, as my wife calls it, a "Dauber festival" -- basically, take over the main TV and play Atari. (Long story short -- got a lot of Atari playing in between May 2006 and early April 2007 as my wife and I were living in separate states while she finished her master's degree.) I pulled the following carts: Beef Drop, Pac-Man Collection!, Lady Bug, Tapper, and Crossbow.

And you know what? I SUCKED at high-speed Ms. Pac-Man Plus, random mazes, five lives. Seriously, I had trouble getting past 20000...you can fall out of practice REALLY easily!

It has random mazes? I might have to buy this and drag out my 7800!

Random not as in it just draws a maze totally at random, but that whether you're playing Pac or Ms. Pac, either one could end up in any maze from the games on the cart.

Seeing Pac in a Ms. Pac maze, or Ms. Pac in Pac's maze, seems really neat to me.

Thanks guys :)

Actually, for the two 'Random Maze' variations (for Pac and Ms. Pac) there are 21 mazes in all that it could pick from for each board:

Pac-Man

New Puck-X

Hangly Man maze 1

Hangly Man maze 2 (the empty maze)

Ultra Pac-Man maze 2 (maze 1 is the same as standard Pac-Man)

Ultra Pac-Man maze 3

Ultra Pac-Man maze 4

Ultra Pac-Man maze 5

Ultra Pac-Man maze 6

Ms. Pac-Man maze 1

Ms. Pac-Man maze 2

Ms. Pac-Man maze 3

Ms. Pac-Man maze 4

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 1

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 2

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 3

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 4

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 1

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 2

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 3

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 4

The 'Champ' mazes are only found in the Random Maze variations. :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Random not as in it just draws a maze totally at random, but that whether you're playing Pac or Ms. Pac, either one could end up in any maze from the games on the cart.

Seeing Pac in a Ms. Pac maze, or Ms. Pac in Pac's maze, seems really neat to me.

Thanks. A little disappointing, but still nice not to be stuck with the same maze or same pattern of mazes.

Actually, for the two 'Random Maze' variations (for Pac and Ms. Pac) there are 21 mazes in all that it could pick from for each board:

Pac-Man

New Puck-X

Hangly Man maze 1

Hangly Man maze 2 (the empty maze)

Ultra Pac-Man maze 2 (maze 1 is the same as standard Pac-Man)

Ultra Pac-Man maze 3

Ultra Pac-Man maze 4

Ultra Pac-Man maze 5

Ultra Pac-Man maze 6

Ms. Pac-Man maze 1

Ms. Pac-Man maze 2

Ms. Pac-Man maze 3

Ms. Pac-Man maze 4

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 1

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 2

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 3

Ms. Pac-Attack maze 4

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 1

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 2

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 3

'Champ' Ms. Pac maze 4

The 'Champ' mazes are only found in the Random Maze variations. :)

Thanks for the info. If the money I make through the Google ads on my site keeps growing, I will be buying some things from the AA store, including this game.

I'll never understand in a million years why Atari and GenCom thought that it would be a good idea to use a 2600 sound chip in this console...

It's pretty easy to understand, actually. This system is designed to play "2600" games.

The thing that I, and most others, take issue with, is the fact that most of the 7800 specific titles use the TIA for sound.

Yeah, that threw me off when I played the 2600 version of Dig Dug for the first time a few days ago (yup -- never played it before...) and the sound was EXACTLY the same as that of the 7800 version!

And last night I played the C64 version for the first time.

So far I haven't found a better home version of Dig Dug than the Atari 8-bit version...

Yeah, that threw me off when I played the 2600 version of Dig Dug for the first time a few days ago (yup -- never played it before...) and the sound was EXACTLY the same as that of the 7800 version!

So far I haven't found a better home version of Dig Dug than the Atari 8-bit version...

Yeah, it's strange, but I tend to agree the 5200/8bit version is better. The 7800 has better graphics in some respects, but overall, the 8 bit version just "feels" better. IMO, if only Fygar looked less like a green blob, it would be perfect.

There's some balloony or "bulbous" about Dig Dug's graphics on the 7800 game. Thank goodness PMC doesn't look like that!

Edited by Brian R.

Yeah, it's strange, but I tend to agree the 5200/8bit version is better. The 7800 has better graphics in some respects, but overall, the 8 bit version just "feels" better.!

I see this all the time from fans of classic systems. What you are "feeling" is a preference for one system over the other. It's the same thing I see people say about Double Dragon on the NES vs. SMS. They say there was "something magic" about the NES version, or that it "feels special somehow". The thing is, SMS DD was much closer to the arcade and, very importantly, included co-op in a game where that is core to the gameplay (and title for that matter). However, most people grew up with the NES version, or with NES type graphics and music at the least, so the NES version "feels" better. If you love your 5200 and only like your 7800, the 5200 version will certainly feel superior. I favour the 7800 version over anything else I've played, but then I prefer the 7800 Galaga over the nearly flawless NES version, because at this point the 7800 version "feels" better to me. Now, maybe I'm wrong and you two are huge 7800 fans and prefer it generally over the 8-bit and 5200, but dollars to donuts, I'm betting you guys, if forced to choose, would prefer the 8-bit/5200 overall.

Yeah, it's strange, but I tend to agree the 5200/8bit version is better. The 7800 has better graphics in some respects, but overall, the 8 bit version just "feels" better.!

I see this all the time from fans of classic systems. What you are "feeling" is a preference for one system over the other.

No, it has nothing to do with the hardware, but with what I'm seeing and experiencing on screen. I never had a 5200 or a 7800 during their times, so I have no bias one way or the other.

If you love your 5200 and only like your 7800, the 5200 version will certainly feel superior.

I like both systems. Again, it's what's on screen, not the console.

I favour the 7800 version over anything else I've played, but then I prefer the 7800 Galaga over the nearly flawless NES version, because at this point the 7800 version "feels" better to me.

I like Galaga a lot. I think it's one of the 7800's better titles. But then, I've never played the NES version, as I'm not a Nintendo person. And I'll take Galaga over Galaxian any day.

Now, maybe I'm wrong and you two are huge 7800 fans and prefer it generally over the 8-bit and 5200, but dollars to donuts, I'm betting you guys, if forced to choose, would prefer the 8-bit/5200 overall.

I'll take the dollars instead of the donuts. ;)

I have two 5200s, one new. I have two 7800s, one new.

I have 48 5200 carts, and 44 7800 carts.

I bought Koffi and Jr. Pac-Man for the 5200, and I bought PacMan Collection and Beef Drop for the 7800.

Does that split me rather evenly between the systems?

I see this all the time from fans of classic systems. What you are "feeling" is a preference for one system over the other.

No, it has nothing to do with the hardware, but with what I'm seeing and experiencing on screen. I never had a 5200 or a 7800 during their times, so I have no bias one way or the other.

If you love your 5200 and only like your 7800, the 5200 version will certainly feel superior.

I like both systems. Again, it's what's on screen, not the console.

I favour the 7800 version over anything else I've played, but then I prefer the 7800 Galaga over the nearly flawless NES version, because at this point the 7800 version "feels" better to me.

I like Galaga a lot. I think it's one of the 7800's better titles. But then, I've never played the NES version, as I'm not a Nintendo person. And I'll take Galaga over Galaxian any day.

Now, maybe I'm wrong and you two are huge 7800 fans and prefer it generally over the 8-bit and 5200, but dollars to donuts, I'm betting you guys, if forced to choose, would prefer the 8-bit/5200 overall.

I'll take the dollars instead of the donuts. ;)

I have two 5200s, one new. I have two 7800s, one new.

I have 48 5200 carts, and 44 7800 carts.

I bought Koffi and Jr. Pac-Man for the 5200, and I bought PacMan Collection and Beef Drop for the 7800.

Does that split me rather evenly between the systems?

I stand corrected. Your donuts are in the mail. They may be stale by the time you get them, sorry.

The important thing is that NES Double Dragon sucks.

Edited by Atarifever

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I know there are a ton of these 'Pac Man Collection is teh awesomz!' threads, but you'll just have to excuse me while I gush. I just got it in the mail today (I always feel like a kid when the box with 'Atariage' on it is waiting on the table). Nice end to a long day at work. So, without further ado, I raced into the game room and popped it in.

Hol-ee crap is this one hell of a port! Actually, calling it a port is a disservice. This cart is apparently ten arcade coin-op boards crammed into a cart using devil's magic. Seriously, this cart is more fun than the arcade game(s), and that is the ONLY time I've ever been able to say that. Pacman, Hanglyman, Puckman, Ultra Pac, Ms Pac, and then all of those with Plus(!) and/or Fast mode, AND random mazes? Random mazes are sheer genius! This cart has completely renewed my interest in pac man again, and I thought for sure I was about done with the game. This cart makes the xbox live championship edition look like donkey turds in comparison.

On top of all that, there are so many awesome details. The title screen changes to reflect whatever pac game you have selected. The monsters behave the way they should. The menu's are simple to use. Even the timing delays when you eat a pellet, or an energizer are perfect. The speed/control differences between vanilla nad ms pac are perfectly represented. Every nook and cranny of this game screams attention to detail and a love of the originals. I have a lot of homebrews, but this one is in a class by itself. It's better than the arcade game it's based on. How on earth do you do that?

Well, my hat is off to you PacManPlus, and anyone else who assisted with this project. You did one hell of a job, and I haven't been this impressed with a classic console game since I was ten. In my book, this should get you the kind of recognition kudos people like David Crane and Howard Scott Warshaw used to get. This is not a hack, it's is perfection. If Atari had released something like this back in the day, it would have made millions.

Absolutely amazing!

Just got mine from AA today, I really like it. It's super great to be able to buy a NEW item for my 7800. Like have the toy as new again!

Great!!!

I see this all the time from fans of classic systems. What you are "feeling" is a preference for one system over the other. It's the same thing I see people say about Double Dragon on the NES vs. SMS. They say there was "something magic" about the NES version, or that it "feels special somehow". The thing is, SMS DD was much closer to the arcade and, very importantly, included co-op in a game where that is core to the gameplay (and title for that matter). However, most people grew up with the NES version, or with NES type graphics and music at the least, so the NES version "feels" better.

I actually got the NES version after the others (incuding 2600, 7800, SMS and PC). I think the thing that made the NES version good (for me) was the control was really tight. All warts and variants aside, it just didn't feel as sluggish.

Believe me, I wanted not to like it but I did.