IGNORED

Caring For My Prototypes ?

pangasinan

The usual...store them somewhere where the temperature will remain fairly constant (avoid extremes, especially heat) and where the humidity is fairly low (avoid the basement). Don't expose them directly to light sources (especially sunlight) as this can erase the EPROMs...although this isn't as much of a concern if the PCB is inside a cart case.

The usual...store them somewhere where the temperature will remain fairly constant (avoid extremes, especially heat) and where the humidity is fairly low (avoid the basement). Don't expose them directly to light sources (especially sunlight) as this can erase the EPROMs...although this isn't as much of a concern if the PCB is inside a cart case.

That pretty much sums it up. I had mine stored in plastic tubs in my closet for years without any damage. You don't want to know where most of the people I got my prototypes from were storing them (overheated attic, slightly damp basement, garage, etc.)

Tempest

You know what I never understood....if a black box is indestructible, why don't they make the whole airplane out of the stuff the black box is made of?

Well, I can think of at least four reasons...

• Even the innards of a flight data recorder can withstand temperature and G-forces far beyond what humans can survive. So limiting the stresses on passengers to those levels would make them only be 100% dead, instead of, well, 100% dead.
  • Black boxes are comparatively heavy for the amount of space they contain. A plane that was that well-protected wouldn't be able to take off.
  • It's easier to make small things tough than big ones, in significant measure because the smaller object provides less bearing surface and leverage for any forces that would try to break it.
  • How much would it cost, anyway?

Edited by supercat

I also suggest making direct copies of the EPROMS if you can, that way you will have a freshly burned copy that can be

re-burned back to the original in the event of bit rot.

I would love to do this but i dont have the equipment to do it...thanks anyway.

Also anti-static bags are a good idea as well, common plastics can cause ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge)

Most Prototypes are housed in a plastic shell

Here is Intel's Safety Guidelines in PDF format and under prevention it mentions

"Always keep your workstation clean and clear of unnecessary material, Particularly Common Plastics."

http://resource.dialogic.com/telecom/suppo...fig/esd/esd.pdf

Does anybody know where I can get a bulk of antistatis bags for my protos? I have them protected in separate plastic cases but putting them in antistatic bags would not hurt either.

Try uline.com:

http://www.uline.com/Group_2.asp?desc=Static+Shielding+Bags

Thanks!! Which is the best bag I should get for Atari 2600 carts? Anybody? PinvinBlueJeans?

Thanks!! Which is the best bag I should get for Atari 2600 carts? Anybody? PinvinBlueJeans?

Wonder...I've never purchased these particular kinds of bags...but I've bought many kinds of bags from Uline over the years and I've always been satisfied.

I'd recommend the resealable variety...and probably get a standard size like 3 X 5 (which are cheaper):

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_52.asp...Bags+With+Print

Although you will probably need a bigger size for some carts...just make sure your carts are going to fit whatever size you choose.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

lol

they should make like the front of plane from blackbox material stuff so the pilots survive with a story xD

they should also have a camera pointed out window front in a blackbox for the youtube video!! lol.

anyways yea,

i never knew about the bags.

All places in town have my name down they think im just hunting games down ^^ like usual.

they don't know about prototypes seriously ( this guys stupid ) lol. hes given me like rare boxed titles for like $5

saying its just an old game. :P im like sweet.

I want a waterproof box o.o'

:]

Nobody gona break into a water/fire proof box

thats resistant to bullets xD

lmao.

Oh yes my prototypes are safe then (when i get them)