IGNORED

SIO2PC- hardwiring to 1050 SIO connector

yorgle

I'm in the process of installing my atarimax sio2pc (usb) inside the back of my 1050. I cut a short section of sio cable so that I can simply plug one end of the cable into the sio2pc and I would like to solder the wires from the other end to the sio connector pins on the bottom of the 1050 pcb. My first try resulted in disaster- fried my sio2pc. Now I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out where I went wrong before I order another sio2pc. I wired it so that pin 1 on the sio2pc is wired to pin one on the 1050 sio connector, like this:

1050 SIO2PC

1 ------------------------------------------ 1

2 -----------------------------------------2

3 ---------------------------------------------3

4 -----------------------------------------4

etc...

Thoughts, comments, ridicule... any and all input is welcome.

I'm in the process of installing my atarimax sio2pc (usb) inside the back of my 1050. I cut a short section of sio cable so that I can simply plug one end of the cable into the sio2pc and I would like to solder the wires from the other end to the sio connector pins on the bottom of the 1050 pcb. My first try resulted in disaster- fried my sio2pc. Now I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out where I went wrong before I order another sio2pc. I wired it so that pin 1 on the sio2pc is wired to pin one on the 1050 sio connector, like this:

1050 SIO2PC

etc...

Sorry to hear about your loss and frustration with the installation, even though Ataris are pretty tolerant to abuse, it sometimes takes one wrong move for the Oooops to happen.

AtariMax SIO2PC is a 2 in 1 device (a SIO2PC and a 1050-2-PC combined in one unit), when it functions as a SIO2PC, it acts as a disk drive, when it functions as a 1050-2-PC it acts as an ATARI computer. Remember that a 1050 has the input/output (SIO 3 & 5) pins reversed, and pin 10 does not provide +5v (unlike the computer).

Given the above, a 1050 uses SIO pin 3 as Data-out (Atari computer uses it as Data-In), and SIO pin 5 as Data-In (Atari computer uses it as Data-Out).

So how does the AtariMax SIO2PC/ProSystem know what's connected to the interface? My guess is a special logic chip built in the interface that does the decision making and reverses the functionality of the pins as necessary.

What are the SIO pinouts on the SIO2PC/ProSystem Interface? Your guess is as good as mine on this, as I am not familiar with Steve's hardware. It may be the same as an Atari's pin layout or maybe the same as a 1050's. Your best bet is probably to ask him before attempting a second installation.

Good luck.

Ray

Edited by atari8warez

1050 SIO2PC

etc...

Kewl.. So you'll basically have a USB 1050.. Will that work directly with Prosystem via USB?

My first thought is you might have reversed the order of the pins, looking at the connector from the reverse side?

In any case, here is a link to the hookup instructions that shows which SIO pin corresponds to which pad on the interface:

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentati...sbchapter2.html

Steve

Metalguy66: Your talking to a guy who just blew up his sio2pc. To answer your question, I have no idea... :D

Steve: Thanks for the schematic- now for the million dollar stupid question of the year: Is the sio pinout shown in the schematic the same as on the sio connector on the 1050?

P.S. Steve, I just ordered another sio2pc from your website- the terminal version this time so that should simplify things.

Edited by yorgle

Kewl.. So you'll basically have a USB 1050.. Will that work directly with Prosystem via USB?

Ken

From what I've seen with my usage, Prosystem will not see the drive without the Atari computer turned on supplying the +5 to the SIO.

Edited by Guitarman

From what I've seen with my usage, Prosystem will not see the drive without the Atari computer turned on supplying the +5 to the SIO.

With the USB adapter you should be able to use it without an Atari computer, if everything is working properly. If the Atari computer is attached it should be turned on though, having it attached and turned off will make the peripherals inaccessible.

With a RS232 adapter it is likely you will always need the Atari computer attached and powered on

Steve.

With the USB adapter you should be able to use it without an Atari computer, if everything is working properly. If the Atari computer is attached it should be turned on though, having it attached and turned off will make the peripherals inaccessible.

With a RS232 adapter it is likely you will always need the Atari computer attached and powered on

Steve.

That's probably the problem as I always have the A8 attached. I'll have to give it a try with just the drives. And, by the way, I love the function in Prosystem of having 2+ Happy drives attached and having it create ATR's from all the drives in succession. Pretty cool!!

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! (said banging hand against forehead). Figured out at last how I fried my sio2pc: by omitting one of the connectors from my shortened sio cable and soldering the wires to the corresponding pins on the 1050's sio port, I unwittingly, but effectively eliminated the crossover that takes place between opposing ends of an sio cable. My connections were, therefore, all backwards. Since pins 10 (+5v) and pin 2 (Gnd) are opposite each other on sio connector, polarity was unfortunately reversed. My poor sio2pc didn't stand a chance. :(

Success! Thanks, Steve for shipping my new sio2pc so quickly. Thanks to everyone else here for all your input.

That looks great, perfect fit too, should do mine soon, but wait a minute, I have a US Doubler installed on my 1050. Do you guys know why PROSYS requires a "Stock" 1050? I've read something about these upgrades having a "buffer" which apparently does not go very well with Prosys software. Anybody knows the details?

Edited by atari8warez

Success! Thanks, Steve for shipping my new sio2pc so quickly. Thanks to everyone else here for all your input.

That looks great, perfect fit too, should do mine soon, but wait a minute, I have a US Doubler installed on my 1050. Do you guys know why PROSYS requires a "Stock" 1050? I've read something about these upgrades having a "buffer" which apparently does not go very well with Prosys software. Anybody knows the details?

Where did you hear this?? APE/ProSystem takes advantage of drives with upgrades. I have a SIO2PC USB version working with 2 Happy 1050's and it is SMOKIN'!!

Where did you hear this?? APE/ProSystem takes advantage of drives with upgrades. I have a SIO2PC USB version working with 2 Happy 1050's and it is SMOKIN'!!

Really!... I am sure I've read that in the ProSystem for DOS manual. By the way is there a manual for APE for Windows?. AtariMax web site says "Sorry this document is still under construction".

Anyway here's the quote from the PROSYSTEM for DOS Manual:

"It's very important you use a stock 1050 or 810 disk drive. Drives modified with Happy enhancements or other boards that have buffers will effect the performance of the ProSystem. Happy drives may be used if placed in 'Unhappy' mode first."

Edited by atari8warez

"It's very important you use a stock 1050 or 810 disk drive. Drives modified with Happy enhancements or other boards that have buffers will effect the performance of the ProSystem. Happy drives may be used if placed in 'Unhappy' mode first."

That is correct, to use the Prosystem (and the SIO2PC USB as a 1050-PC) the drive needs to have the enhancements disabled. Prosystem itself will set Unhappy mode IIRC.

That is correct, to use the Prosystem (and the SIO2PC USB as a 1050-PC) the drive needs to have the enhancements disabled. Prosystem itself will set Unhappy mode IIRC.

But then again I just found this info on ATARIMAX web site:

Additionally, the USB interface allows for a few new features, including:

True Plug-and-Play support, just plug in the interface and APE will find it.

High speed SIO support for ALL Pokey baud rates. (Video of Pokey's highest baud rate in action!)

Native disk drive rate support, including support for high speed upgrades.

High speed SIO support in ProSystem. (Video of ProSystem reading a disk w/ Happy 1050)

Cassette motor control support.

Direct state/FSK capture and playback of cassette or other SIO data. (Working but still in beta testing)

Future support for use of other SIO pins. (Interrupt, Clock, etc).

Seems like the ProSystem for Windows with a USB based Interface does not require the drive to be stock!.

Edited by atari8warez

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! (said banging hand against forehead). Figured out at last how I fried my sio2pc: by omitting one of the connectors from my shortened sio cable and soldering the wires to the corresponding pins on the 1050's sio port, I unwittingly, but effectively eliminated the crossover that takes place between opposing ends of an sio cable. My connections were, therefore, all backwards. Since pins 10 (+5v) and pin 2 (Gnd) are opposite each other on sio connector, polarity was unfortunately reversed. My poor sio2pc didn't stand a chance. :(

HAHA. KEWL! Did smoke come out of it?

Hmm. well at least you learned somthing..

HAHA. KEWL! Did smoke come out of it?

Hmm. well at least you learned somthing..

Yeah, smoke came out. I learned that what my older brother always told me was true: that all electronic devices contain smoke. Once you let the smoke out of them, they don't work anymore.