IGNORED

Are there any plans for a GB Player device for Wii?

Bill Brasky

It is unlikely at this time, unless it is an announcement next month for knowing any current plans of a device coming out anytime soon.

Next month there is a public Video game trade show called Entertainment for all. Nintendo is a a flagship exhibitor of the event.

The chances are Nintendo will have some announcemnts at the show. It could be some hardware like a hard disk drive, software or some wii fi connection.

A hard disk drive is something consumers want before a gb player device due to the Neo Geo or Turbo Cd/Turbo duo being the next systems on the virtual game console list. I can't rule out such a device like a gb player being announced at the show yet.

Edited by 8th lutz

I suspect with the GBA line quickly dying out, that Nintendo see's GBA titles like the Minish Cap as future VC fodder for when they've exhausted their lineup of first party classics a few years down the road.

I doubt they will do anything since it won't be long until GBA's have left store shelfs beyond the used sections of GameStops, which Nintendo won't get any benefit from supporting by expanding what hardware those now used games could be played on. They're best off bringing those titles to the Virtual Console where they can earn revenue off them, instead of possibly diverting VC and regular Wii game sales by people buying used GBA software to play on their Wii.

Edited by Atariboy

I think the Gameboy Player only came about because the GBA was so popular at the time, and they had some pretty big ideas about GBA/GC connectivity features (bigger than what they did with the N64, anyway). Now that the DS is popular, and can wirelessly connect to the Wii, I don't see any GBA hardware addons any time soon. I'm not even sure if the Wii has any expansion ports. I wouldn't count out any Virtual Console stuff, though.

Shawn I won't dispute what you're saying about the 4gb cards. But the manual clearly states the Wii only supports up to 2gb cards in size. I have heard of a few people getting 4gb cards to work, but they were only certain brands. In addition, I'm not sure the Wii is actually reading the full 4gb cards space available. I have a 2gb in mine and it is far from being full. Then again, the fact that half the games won't let me back them up to the SD card is probably to blame there.

Do you have a 4gb working in yours? How many blocks does it show available when you access the memory management for the SD card?

Shawn I won't dispute what you're saying about the 4gb cards. But the manual clearly states the Wii only supports up to 2gb cards in size. I have heard of a few people getting 4gb cards to work, but they were only certain brands. In addition, I'm not sure the Wii is actually reading the full 4gb cards space available. I have a 2gb in mine and it is far from being full. Then again, the fact that half the games won't let me back them up to the SD card is probably to blame there.

Do you have a 4gb working in yours? How many blocks does it show available when you access the memory management for the SD card?

didn't see this earlier or I would have responded more timely. Yes you can use a full 4gb card. I'm using a sandisk 4gb card. Forget if I had to set up the file system any different or not.