IGNORED

Future Flashbacks

It's going to be a few months before we know what the next Atari Flashback is going to be, so I thought we could kill some time by discussing the future of the Flashback series. So, what do you think the Flashbacks of the future will be? Will Atari bring back all of their computers and consoles or could the old hardware be re-released in a new and imaginitive way? Should there be enhancements to attract a modern audience or should classic hardware be left as it is?

It's going to be a few months before we know what the next Atari Flashback is going to be...

Wait a second!? The next Atari Flashback? There's going to be a next Flashback? I thought from this thread, we had established that Atari is down for the count... ...and as far as anyone knows, there won't be any more nostalgic retro-Atari systems coming out. Does anyone here have any factual information to the contrary? Or is this thread simply wishful thinking?

This thread is just for wishful thinking though the next Flashback has been mentioned in another thread.

Hi guys,

Sorry to report, due to nearly 5 months of unsurmountable delays and indecisions on allowing Legacy Engineering to move forward on the FBP, the window for holiday 07' production has been lost.

We are looking now at a Spring 08' launch timeframe. On the plus side, what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system has been moved up to the front burner and is being worked on now in place of the original FBP design... No details will be given/shown until after the New Year.

I may consider putting one of the FBP proto's up onto Ebay during the holidays, it will be stripped of all branding and logo's and will just be a generic "Compatible with Atari 2600 game binaries..." statement on it.

Curt

The perfect FB would:

* Run all 2600/5200/7800/400/800/etc. games perfectly

* Would come with wireless controllers that could function as joysticks, paddles (the rest would be supported by db-9 adapter)

* Would support multi-person network play, and possibly support in-game player audio (via wireless headsets sold separately)

* Would support near perfect emulation of all other atari products and consoles every made

* Would allow you to take and save videos of games, maybe with audio from players

* Would allow you to play all Atari arcade games, including vector, with near perfect emulation

* Would let you play any arcade game at all

* Would have emulators for many other old computers, consoles, systems (Apple 2, ...)

* Have a way to easy transfer homebrew games into the console without having to plug the console itself into the computer

* Supports buying/downloading games from its wireless internet connection

* Have an Atari logo

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

The perfect FB would:

* Run all 2600/5200/7800/400/800/etc. games perfectly

* Would come with wireless controllers that could function as joysticks, paddles (the rest would be supported by db-9 adapter)

* Would support multi-person network play, and possibly support in-game player audio (via wireless headsets sold separately)

* Would support near perfect emulation of all other atari products and consoles every made

* Would allow you to take and save videos of games, maybe with audio from players

* Would allow you to play all Atari arcade games, including vector, with near perfect emulation

* Would let you play any arcade game at all

* Would have emulators for many other old computers, consoles, systems (Apple 2, ...)

* Have a way to easy transfer homebrew games into the console without having to plug the console itself into the computer

* Supports buying/downloading games from its wireless internet connection

* Have an Atari logo

Hmm, this sounds like my idea. So, agreed! Maybe make it portable...

Linux, hands down. See signature icon_thumbsup.gif

/edit I was thinking about it, and while I still vote for Linux, it ought to be custom, like Lord Thag said, and also have built in emulators for all the different roms. 400/800, ST, 2600/5200/7800, all in emu but it could be emulated using true hardware. I'm thinking virtual machine with hardware support. A Linux kernel could be compiled with some skill and creativity applied, and from the success of the FB2 the hardware can be done.

I'm also envisioning (they call it zero-footprint these days) Falcon/1200XL hybrid case icon_lust.gif

Maybe Atari and Gamepark ought to get together to make a core for the GP2X. I'd buy an SD card from Atari with a custom core.

/edit or pay for a download

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

How much would you pay for a system that did all of that? Unfortunately for me I would top out at $129 (maybe just a little more) and would hope that you could buy carts that would include the ROMs so that you could play them legally (and without question). There are so many games out there- you could definitely sell a lot of the carts.

A DVD player with a built in Atari ST, TT or Falcon, kind of like a modern version of a laser disc game. All the games could be stored on DVD rom and use images on the DVD to create jpeg background images. It could also be used as a regular DVD player.

Edited by MRB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I'd like a Flashback that plays all Atari games including Lynx and Jaguar. :D Probably a bit much since those are more complicated than other Atari systems.
A console that used the 6502 cpu to play all 8bit Atari games would be good. I think Atari were planning something like this called the 'Omni' computer? Edited by MRB

i'd be perfectly content with a non-keyboard 5200 clone with built-in games, similar to the fb2 in concept, with exposed pads on the inside for the hobbiests, and the capacity for full A8 compatibility.

if i had my druthers, i'd add to that new graphic modes, or maybe new graphic/sound modes + turbo.

for a fb4, i'd welcome an ST clone in a box. While I believe the FB3 could be a commercial success, i have my doubts on the ST.

any flashback that actually gets off the drawing board and into the stores.

I feel the same way. I was all geared up for the FB2P then it got shelved. It wouldn't surprise me if the FB3 got shelved as well. Has there been official news even about what system the FB3 is?

Normally I am optimistic about the Flashback products, but I don't see anymore FB's happening. At least not under the Atari name. What make me say this? Well, it was this post in another topic:

All joking aside the new board members brought it all appear to have backgrounds in LBO's (Leveraged Buy Outs) and M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions) and you add in the fact that during the summer (I think) Infogrames itself announced that Atari may have to file bankruptcy. This is all adding up to a very ominous framework that could be spelling the closure of Atari, Inc as its own separate firm and we may be witnessing Infogrames assimilating Atari Inc into itself and doing away with Atari, Inc.

Curt

Sounds like they are trying to make payroll through the end of the year to me...if that.

I was thinking the same thing. Either that or they need to pay their lawyers to begin bankruptcy procedures.

I know that Curt said he wouldn't say anymore about the subject until after the first of the year, but I don't think there will be much to say. I think Atari Inc. won't be around after the first of the year!!!!

(Maybe I am just in a bad mood today :( )

you sound like that warejeg person when he demanded curt be honest.

we can hope. that a fb comes to us

Normally I am optimistic about the Flashback products, but I don't see anymore FB's happening. At least not under the Atari name. What make me say this? Well, it was this post in another topic:

All joking aside the new board members brought it all appear to have backgrounds in LBO's (Leveraged Buy Outs) and M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions) and you add in the fact that during the summer (I think) Infogrames itself announced that Atari may have to file bankruptcy. This is all adding up to a very ominous framework that could be spelling the closure of Atari, Inc as its own separate firm and we may be witnessing Infogrames assimilating Atari Inc into itself and doing away with Atari, Inc.

Curt

Sounds like they are trying to make payroll through the end of the year to me...if that.

I was thinking the same thing. Either that or they need to pay their lawyers to begin bankruptcy procedures.

I know that Curt said he wouldn't say anymore about the subject until after the first of the year, but I don't think there will be much to say. I think Atari Inc. won't be around after the first of the year!!!!

(Maybe I am just in a bad mood today :( )