IGNORED

My new-in-box 5200 (pics)

Scream And Fly

Sweet looks just like mine :) Say - was the AC adapter in there in it's separate white box? If so, where the hell does it fit in that box? I never was able to figure that out. :lol:

Yeah, it's a tight fit. The AC adapter came in a cardboard insert that went on top of the system. The RF adapter is underneath the system :)

Do the sticks (or more precisely the buttons on them) work? Usually they go bad, even if unused, from oxidation unless cleaned periodically.

My 5200 is pretty much a beater at this point, but plays just fine. If I replaced the scuffed up metal plate, I figure, it'd look pretty good then.

Looks good though. :thumbsup:

Do the sticks (or more precisely the buttons on them) work? Usually they go bad, even if unused, from oxidation unless cleaned periodically.

My 5200 is pretty much a beater at this point, but plays just fine. If I replaced the scuffed up metal plate, I figure, it'd look pretty good then.

Looks good though. :thumbsup:

I really don't know - it's never been used. The sticks have never been removed from the console - ever. LOL! I bet you're right though, and it's possible they may not work due to oxidation on the contacts.

What's funny about 5200 controllers is the used ones look just like the new ones. At least for the most part. So I can only conclude that none of them were used much since (good for us) they broke down easily and quickly.

I have five of them. One is strictly for parts. the other four are like new (in appearance) but don't work fully. From this I cobbled together two fully fuctional sticks. They are definitely (stock anyway) the weakest link for the 5200.

Here's one more pic :) Interesting that the box shows it as a 2-port console, yet it's really a 4-port.

62fsfih.jpg

That's odd, my 4-port has a shiny top, but my 2-port has the "pebble" finish top like yours.

I have one of each. My four port is a "gloss" black at the very front and on the lid in the back, while the two port has the "frosted" finish.

But both are gloss finished in the strip where the power button is, and the strip between the metal band and the bay lid.

Is that finish difference a distinction between the four and two ports, or are there frosted four porters and glossy two porters???

So it's never been powered on?

It probably doesn't work. ;)

That's correct. Never powered on. The controller have never even been removed from the console storage space. I pulled one out a little just for that one photo. You may be right though - it may not work. I may never know though :)

Edited by Scream And Fly

Very nice, I'm not envious in the slightest :woozy:

Are you not tempted to have a quick go to see if it works? You might as well, as you have already got finger prints on the joystick, and now it's not a rare "Pink" model :twisted:

I wouldn't be able to stop myself, which is why I only buy un-boxed stuff normally :D

Edited by mimo

Here's one more pic :) Interesting that the box shows it as a 2-port console, yet it's really a 4-port.

62fsfih.jpg

Its probably never used but, 4 ports never came in the Atari 5200's very last years small 2 port boxes.

I could not be its original box. I have seen auctions like this one advertised as New in Box, but they are not.

Nevertheless, It looks great and hope it works..

Its probably never used but, 4 ports never came in the Atari 5200's very last years small 2 port boxes.

I could not be its original box. I have seen auctions like this one advertised as New in Box, but they are not.

I hear what you're saying, but that doesn't make sense. This system has the proper instructions, all paperwork, warranty card, and the 4-port RF switch, still sealed in the bubblewrap, never removed. Why would someone put a seemingly new 4-port console in a 2-port box?

I hear what you're saying, but that doesn't make sense. This system has the proper instructions, all paperwork, warranty card, and the 4-port RF switch, still sealed in the bubblewrap, never removed. Why would someone put a seemingly new 4-port console in a 2-port box?

They didn't have the four port box.

The four port box wasn't in as good condition, so therefore wouldn't fetch as high a price.

I would also tend to think it's not the original box. I can't see Atari packaging that with the power adaptor and switchbox just jammed under or on top of the console.

I would also tend to think it's not the original box. I can't see Atari packaging that with the power adaptor and switchbox just jammed under or on top of the console.

I hear that, but it had a made-to-fit cardboard insert that went above the console, which fit everything perfectly. It all just looked like it was packaged for it.

I hear that, but it had a made-to-fit cardboard insert that went above the console, which fit everything perfectly. It all just looked like it was packaged for it.

sweet. it probably is the original box. i mean, we have all seen the non existent four switch "heavy" model on many of their boxes for the 2600, right?