IGNORED

JStella future version - multiplayer (remote via Internet) feasible?

Mauvila

As far as what future implementations of JStella could do, I was wondering about the possibility of a multiplayer (remote--via Internet) version of JStella. I know nothing about how remote multiplayer games work, but I began to wonder about a possible way in which a game on JStella (think COMBAT) could be done multiplayer.

I'm curious whether the following would work:

A server side Java program that a)establishes the framework of everything, initiates games, etc. and b)communicates input events from one applet to another.

The actual emulator might be a modified JStella, running locally on two machines (as signed applets). Every local input event would be sent to both the local TIA object and the server-side program, which would relay it to the opposing JStella TIA class, to be interpreted as the other player's input event....

Of course, this assumes the event communication time is fairly brief, and that the program behavior is deterministic (that it would run on two almost-independent emulators the same).

Once again, I know nothing of network programming, etc., but I'm sure a lot of you guys are familiar with this stuff...is this possible, and if not, would there be a better way that wasn't too ROM-specific?

JLA