IGNORED

Nintendo Power not dying or dead at all!

-^CrossBow^-

Some moon cycles back you might recall that we were all speculating on what was going to happen with the Nintendo Power magazine since Nintendo had let go of the employees behind its publication and the offices more or less closed down. However, the Nintendo Press site has revealed the future of Nintendo Power. Sadly it doesn't appear that it will be moving to a digital media distribution as a Wii channel as we had all sorta secretly hoped, but Nintendo is definitely on the right track by out sourcing it to a company who has been doing this for some time with other mags of the sort.

Full details here...

Some moon cycles back you might recall that we were all speculating on what was going to happen with the Nintendo Power magazine since Nintendo had let go of the employees behind its publication and the offices more or less closed down. However, the Nintendo Press site has revealed the future of Nintendo Power. Sadly it doesn't appear that it will be moving to a digital media distribution as a Wii channel as we had all sorta secretly hoped, but Nintendo is definitely on the right track by out sourcing it to a company who has been doing this for some time with other mags of the sort.

Full details here...

Interesting, I wonder if they will include demo discs like they do with OXM?

Full details here...

Interesting, I wonder if they will include demo discs like they do with OXM?

The demo discs alone would get me to purchase a subcription.

...Or Nintendo could just add a demonstration channel to the Wii and allow people to download trial versions of games for free.

You should go work for Nintendo.

Yeah... and get them to release some sort of mass media storage as the trial versions would take up a lot of space.

Nintendo has released a demo channel with Metroid 3... it had some video clips which you could view (not download but stream).

Overall... I would like to see a demo disc in the magazine each month. Even if it was for a couple launch titles and a new title demo each month. I guess any Nintendo fan would love to see something that has been happening for years happen with a Nintendo system.

How much storage space does the Wii have? When I download VC games they are listed in "blocks" rather than bytes, so I don't ahve any idea really. Memory is so cheap that I assume it would have at least 2-4 gigabytes of internal flash memory. When I download demo games off of Xbox Live they are generally less than 1 gigabyte in size. I would be surprised if a mini game or two off of WiiPlay took up that much memory, or if a track and a couple of cars on Excitetruck took up that much memory.

A Playstation Underground type service would be nice too where you signed up for free demo discs to be mailed to your house periodically, rather than have to pay for a Nintendo Power subscription.

The Wii only has 512mb of internal storage space. All the VC games and channels you download are stored here. As well as any email logs, message board pics, etc. My Wii only has like 400 blocks left on its internal memory now.

The Wii does have support for up to 2gb SD cards...but so far the SD Cards can ONLY be used for backing up some game saves and channels you download. You can't really access or read anything from the SD cards directly within games or other applications on the Wii. So if demos even a couple of hundred megs in size, would still require some form of external storage that the Wii could access, or update the firmware to allow the Wii to read data and save data directly to the SD cards without using the mem manager.

So far..nothing but rumors in any of this being done...

Latest of issue of Nintendo Power is the final one from Nintendo... (Volume 221)

Starting with Volume 222, Future US will be publishing the mag... there will be changes and it seems one of the big changes will be the visibility of the magazine on store shelves. Looks like the next issue will be different.

Sounds like exciting times to me... or the beginning of the end! LOL! See what happens in a month when the new issue starts to ship.