IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 3: Bowling

Ze_ro

How do you expect someone to respond to a remark you made just to stir the pot for your own amusment?

My own amusement? Maybe you were being sarcastic with your suggestion, but I seriously found it completely acceptable.

A competition between people should, in theory, be a competition between people. Competition is by nature a situation where everyone is on equal ground, and one's skill defines their results. When one's skill is irrevelant to the results, there is no competition. Luck, based on a random number generator is not skill, not competition. As said before, we might as well have all thrown our names into a hat and picked out one at random for the winner.

Congrats to Deteacher for winning, but lets face it, he did not win because he played any better then the rest of us. He got lucky.

If it's not about pitting players together to do their best, there is little point. And there is no point in trying to do your best when it doesn't matter for what the results will be.

Games based purely, 100% on random luck shouldn't be used for competition purposes, and I propose it would be completely propper to discuss the issue regarding any and all games considered for competition.

And am definitely not playing using the bullshit method of lining up your guy at the exact spot every time and hoping for the best

What, exactly, is wrong with that? That's basically what you do in real bowling. Besides, it's a totally random outcome, so I don't see what difference it really makes.

Sorry, but real bowling DOES involve skill. Don't know why some here keep denying that. How one handles the ball DOES effect the outcome. There is a degree of randomness to it, sure, but it's not the sole factor, nor the most signifigant. Skill IS a signifigant part of it. Ask any professional bowler, who's skill can overcome most randomness. For that matter, try pitting a first time bowling noob against a trophey winning bowler, and take a guess who will win.

I don't want to get on anyone's bad side, but sometimes some of the comments are funny........they're all made in jest.

They aren't meant to destroy anyone's spirit or the soul of the HSC.

Agreed.... I don't think anyone should be getting upset about the comments, none were meant personally. Some games aren't as fun as the others, it's just a fact, but we all still played. I think it's ok for someone to say "here's what I don't like about this game, but I'm in the contest anyway". If you weren't playing and just chiming in with cheap shots, that would be different.

I just don't see anything worth getting upset about here, on either side of the argument.

Final tips: take a level and permanent marker and draw a line across your TV so you know where to stand every time.

If you don't get a strike on your first ball, start over. If you miss a spare, start over.

Repeat until you realise you're wasting your life.

I vote these to be the best tips of the week. Especially the last one.

How do you expect someone to respond to a remark you made just to stir the pot for your own amusment?

My own amusement? Maybe you were being sarcastic with your suggestion, but I seriously found it completely acceptable.

A competition between people should, in theory, be a competition between people. Competition is by nature a situation where everyone is on equal ground, and one's skill defines their results. When one's skill is irrevelant to the results, there is no competition. Luck, based on a random number generator is not skill, not competition. As said before, we might as well have all thrown our names into a hat and picked out one at random for the winner.

Congrats to Deteacher for winning, but lets face it, he did not win because he played any better then the rest of us. He got lucky.

If it's not about pitting players together to do their best, there is little point. And there is no point in trying to do your best when it doesn't matter for what the results will be.

Games based purely, 100% on random luck shouldn't be used for competition purposes, and I propose it would be completely propper to discuss the issue regarding any and all games considered for competition.

As a response to me, this treatise on the nature of competition is irrelevant and amounts to nothing more than you trying to stuff straw in my mouth because my objection here does not involve anything you're talking about. If you don't like a particular game or the nature of the competition it offers, I don't really care. My objection is that all this petty griping about it is utterly unnecessary and at odds with the spirit of this club.

And am definitely not playing using the bullshit method of lining up your guy at the exact spot every time and hoping for the best

What, exactly, is wrong with that? That's basically what you do in real bowling. Besides, it's a totally random outcome, so I don't see what difference it really makes.

Sorry, but real bowling DOES involve skill. Don't know why some here keep denying that. How one handles the ball DOES effect the outcome. There is a degree of randomness to it, sure, but it's not the sole factor, nor the most signifigant. Skill IS a signifigant part of it. Ask any professional bowler, who's skill can overcome most randomness. For that matter, try pitting a first time bowling noob against a trophey winning bowler, and take a guess who will win.

Quit try to stuff words in my mouth! I did not say that real bowling doesn't involve skill. I said, in real bowling you line up your shot, just like the VCS game. If your going to involve a professional bowler, ask them about that.

And my point about a random outcome was in reference to the game on the VCS, not real bowling. My response in the quote you selected was made in reference to the fact that it wouldn't matter if we played the hook game because everyone would still be lining up their shots and timing their hooks in an optimal fashion, and, furthermore, that still wouldn't change anything because the pin action in this game is totally random. Here is how I said it the first time.

If we were playing the variation that allows you to hook the ball, I guarantee that people would still be lining up their shots. And they'd also be hooking the ball when it reached a specific location on the lane. But what's more, the pin action would still be random. On average, the scoring would probably be higher in the hook game, but fundamentally there is no difference because the pin action is still random.
Edited by Christophero Sly

• 9 months later...