IGNORED

Controllers

Rockin' Kat

Well,

I've only had my 2600 for a few months... I have a couple different games... Space Invaders and Astroblast.

I've played Space Invaders with my TAC2 joystick and an Atari Joystick... I really super suck at it....

As for Astroblast I first played it using an Atari Joystick (the buttons on my TAC2 are worne out) I couldn't score much over 3000...then after using the Fighter Stick SG-6 (for sega genesis) to play Space invaders and not sucking as bad at it I tried this controller on Astroblast and it did some really weird stuff... first unlike with Space invaders, the B button did not act like the fire button...second when I pushed left it jerked two inches on my 25" screen to the left and fired....then when I pushed right it jerked to the left the same distance and fired...then when I pushed fire it jerked to the right...then if I moved the stick and pushed fire it almost went all the way accross the screen...and fired.

So with this I began to wonder and ran upstars and grabbed some paddle controllers I had picked up a couple days earlier at goodwill and hooked them up and it worked. I managed to get a score of around 13,000 or so. But I had a problem; there is this huge dead space when I move the paddle all the way to the left. The ship hits the edge of the screen where you can turn the paddle almost a good quarter turn. Then you have to turn almost a quarter turn in the opposite direction before it moves the ship, so if I quickly turn the paddle to dart over and hit whatever that white thing is that kills you by just hitting the ground I end up at the edge and before I turn the paddle far enough to the right to acctually have it start moving I get hit by an asteroid....AGGG!!!!! There is a smaller dead space on the right end of the turn as well. Is this normal?

I also have one controller that looks like half the paddle controller (two paddles on the other) but I have no games that appear to use it... it's labeled "driving"...and the dial just spins and spins and spins... I opened it up and it appears that the system must count the number of rotations per unit of time or something...what the heck does this thing do?

I also have one controller that looks like half the paddle controller (two paddles on the other) but I have no games that appear to use it... it's labeled "driving"...and the dial just spins and spins and spins... I opened it up and it appears that the system must count the number of rotations per unit of time or something...what the heck does this thing do?

This is the Driving Controller and it shipped with Atari's Indy 500. Aside from Indy 500, the only other game to take advantage of it is Bob Colbert's Stell-A-Sketch. Also, Thomas Jentzsch created versions of Asteroids and Sprintmaster that work with the driving controllers. But that's it! Turns out they are not very high resolution devices, so not quite as useful for games as they appear.

..Al

I usually only play Astroblast with my Gemstick or regular VCS controller, and neither of those have the problems you mentioned. I just tried it with paddles, and could only get it to work with the RIGHT paddle. Left was useless. But nothing again like what you describe...

Odd

I think it's kinda cool to play Space Invaders with a "Track & Field" controller. However, if you're still fairly new at Atari collecting, it make take some time untill you locate one. :( Still, it's worth the wait (especially if you can get a Track & Field cart to go along with it!).

This is the Driving Controller and it shipped with Atari's Indy 500.  Aside from Indy 500, the only other game to take advantage of it is Bob Colbert's Stell-A-Sketch.   Also, Thomas Jentzsch created versions of Asteroids   and Sprintmaster that work with the driving controllers. But that's it!  Turns out they are not very high resolution devices, so not quite as useful for games as they appear.

The latest version of Thrust (not yet released) can use the driving controller. There are *many* Vectrex games and hacks that use this Atari controller. And future game Death Derby will use it!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA