IGNORED

What Are the Best Jag Games for the Best Price?

bretthorror

As a kid, I would get GamePro and other gaming magazines on occasion and I'd always read the reviews. In those magazines, I discovered the existence of 3DO, Neo Geo and of course, the Jaguar. After a year or so of debate, I've decided to purchase one.

I know little about the games, so there's where you guys come in. The system I am getting will be coming with Cybermorph, Flashback, Wolfenstein 3-D, Doom and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. So, what other games are worth getting? I'm not really into dropping big dollars, but what cheap games can I find for the system that are playable? I know Checkered Flag sucks, but if I ever find it for a few bucks (unsure of how much it goes for), should I pick it up? Any other common Jag games that are pretty good (particularly, are there any platformers for the system)? Any help would be appreciated as I don't really know anything about the system other than I love the name and always wanted one as a kid, so I figured I'd bite the bullet.

Some great Jaguar games that you can pick cheaply: Super Burnout, Val d'Isere Skiing - and of course Tempest 2000!

I'd also recommend looking for Missile Command 3D and Alien vs Predator; they are a few bucks more but are good games as well.

EDIT: Geez, I completely missed Iron Soldier! DOH!

Edited by ls650

Some great Jaguar games that you can pick cheaply: Super Burnout, Val d'Isere Skiing - and of course Tempest 2000!

I'd also recommend looking for Missile Command 3D and Alien vs Predator; they are a few bucks more but are good games as well.

Yes, A vs. P was one that I was going to spend the extra dough on. What's a good price to pay? Is the overlay essential for it?

Doom and Wolfenstein are good to have to start, especially if you like that style of gaming.

Again, it depends on taste, but I'd highly recommend Super Burnout if you're into racing - it's the game that convinced me to buy a Jaguar. And Tempest 2K is a must.

I was thinking Super Burnout looked pretty good, but I have so many racing games. I was going to look into Power Drive Rally over this because it's a top view that hasn't been used as much. Zool 2 looks good as does Rayman. The Jag looks a lot better once you actually look into the games it has.

Doom and Wolfenstein are good to have to start, especially if you like that style of gaming.

Again, it depends on taste, but I'd highly recommend Super Burnout if you're into racing - it's the game that convinced me to buy a Jaguar. And Tempest 2K is a must.

I was thinking Super Burnout looked pretty good, but I have so many racing games. I was going to look into Power Drive Rally over this because it's a top view that hasn't been used as much. Zool 2 looks good as does Rayman. The Jag looks a lot better once you actually look into the games it has.

Power Drive is a good one. I got stuck at some point into the game on one of its damn "skill tests" and gave up on it. I'd still say Super Burnout is the best racing game, that I know of.

Zool 2 looks good, but suffers from that unfinished, unpolished Jag look, sound and feel. Rayman is definitely the better way to go, but again, I couldn't get too far into it.

Cannon Fodder is also a fun little game.

I still have Hyperforce and Iron Soldier that I was going to trade. I recomend Iron Soldier no matter what you pay for a decent copy (my copy is in a beat up box with no instructions, so you may want to look elsewhere), as it's really good. Hyperforce is very mediocre (and I hear it's supposed to be the worst of the Songbird games). Outside of that, I can't reccomend anything else, seeing as how I sold you everything else I had ever played on the system. :)

Edited by Atarifever

Zool 2 is another excellent game that is cheap...usually $10-20 even new!

It's an awesome 2D side scrolling action game like Sonic/Mario. You have to get it!

Zool 2 and AvP, I've already arranged to purchase with someone. There will be no doubts about those two. My only beef with Zool 2 is it seems you have to press up to jump!

Do you usually trade for Atari games. Pickens on ebay are pretty slim unless you want new in box.

It's an awesome 2D side scrolling action game like Sonic/Mario. You have to get it!

Zool 2 and AvP, I've already arranged to purchase with someone. There will be no doubts about those two. My only beef with Zool 2 is it seems you have to press up to jump!

Do you usually trade for Atari games. Pickens on ebay are pretty slim unless you want new in box.

Yeah, EBay seems to be the best place to get jag games, except for the market place on this site as well as the JS2 site... I believe there are a couple people selling jag games on JS2 right now, actually.

If you decide to avoid EBay as well as the market places on here & js2, then there aren't many options -- however, those options that are available generally involve "new" games, meaning still factory sealed or something. That will always cost you more.

Here's some sites I have browsed in the past:

http://www.myatari.com/

http://songbird-productions.com/index.html

http://www.1632systems.co.uk/

http://www.goatari.com/

I would highly recommend getting things from the market places, though. That's generally where you're going to get the best deal.

It's usually people who don't want to deal with EBay and would much rather the games go to someone who will enjoy them and not just re-sell them...

re-selling happens all the time on EBay, so you have to compete with those who will buy it and then turn around and sell it.

Again... AtariAge Markteplace or JS2 Marketplace is where you should go very first :D

Games I've enjoyed on the Jaguar...

Tempest 2K

Raiden

Doom

Wolfenstein 3D

Iron Soldier

Iron Soldier 2 (CD)

iWar

Battlemorph (CD)

Highlander (CD)

Vid Grid (CD)

Rayman

Alien Vs. Predator

Breakout 2000

My favorite odd game

--------------------------

Bubsy

Good two/Multiplayer games

---------------------------------

Kasumi Ninja (funny)

Club Drive (Love the toy car in the house)

Brutal Sports Football

Doom (though flakey)

Battlesphere

Ultra Vortek

Worthwhile amateur/incomplete games

---------------------------------------------

Tetris

Jagmania

Jungle Jag

Space War 2000

Surrounded (Space Zap)

Native

Not true, you can also press one of the ABC buttons, can't remember off the top of my head which one. They just put that option in there in case you like to press up to jump, but you don't have too!

Not true, you can also press one of the ABC buttons, can't remember off the top of my head which one. They just put that option in there in case you like to press up to jump, but you don't have too!

When I've played it's true for both.. it actually really irritates me when I press up by accident and totally screws up my jumps (especially in the Egyptian level which is difficult) I never saw an option for having the action button for jump instead of both up and B

Any other common Jag games that are pretty good (particularly, are there any platformers for the system)?

There are not many platformers for the Jag, I think Zool 2, Rayman, Buzby, Flashback and Evolution Dino Dudes are the only ones.

I think Rayman looks great and plays well, Dino Dudes is good if you like solving puzzles (as in the correct sequence) in your platformers, if you like Sonic then Zool2 will appeal but its not really my thing and Buzby is quite poor.

Althought the graphics on Flashback are very 16 bit its not a bad game to play and I think the movement animation of the main character are done quite well.

I don't see BattleSphere or Gorf in that list.

That may be true but in the context or the original post it does not matter as BattleShpere will be too expencive and Gorf was not only produced in limited numbers but Bretthorror did not list a CD unit in the items he (I assume) is getting so he would not be able to play it anyway.

Edited by Stephen Moss