IGNORED

Atari 800 PAL - power supply is AC?

Tickled_Pink

I'd like to finally try out the Atari 800 I was given a couple of years ago so that my 5 year old can have a machine with a nice keyboard in her bedroom. Only problem is that I don't have a power supply for it. I've had a look online and it says that the 800 uses a 9V AC power supply. :( Does this apply to PAL as well as NTSC (I see no reason why it shouldn't)?

It's a bit of a bummer. Does anyone know where I can pick up a suitable PSU? I don't know much about AC power supplies.

That's right. 9 Volts AC (not DC) for the 400 and 800 (but NOT for the XLs or XEs - they use 5 Volts DC).

1.7 Amps (according to the FAQ).

I think that the generic wall-warts would probably not quite be sufficient... not a good idea to use an under-rated supply, I used the 9V adaptor for my 1010 recorder to power something else once, and it took 20 minutes to cool down to the point where you could touch it.

Edited by Rybags

I did post a response after reading the FAQ following mimo's post saying that the 1010 PSU should work fine - didn't go through obviously. :roll:

Anyway, tried it and it does work. The 800 fires up fine, boots carts (although my previously unopened Kaboom cart seems to be a dud) but can't play them ... the START button doesn't work! What's the best way of fixing it?

I would start by taking the 800 apart and having a visual check of the KB and connectors.

Make sure everything is where it should be, and clean.

Try some repeated pressing of the key, that sometimes helps things along.

B+C do new replacements for $20 which is a bargain.

OT

Would you die for an Atari?Well I will when my wife finds out that what she knows about is only the tip of the iceberg and I paid about 10 times what I told her for it. Join me and boycott Atari Age and its evil pushers of Atari filth.

LOL! Mimo, great footer, just love it!

/OT

Greetings,

Beetle

I would start by taking the 800 apart and having a visual check of the KB and connectors.

Make sure everything is where it should be, and clean.

Try some repeated pressing of the key, that sometimes helps things along.

B+C do new replacements for $20 which is a bargain.

A new keyboard doesn't apply to the 800 console keys, as they're on the power board.