IGNORED

Games that are hard to come back to.

AtticGamer

Which games have you played in the past that you can't or have difficulty coming back to because of more recent releases in the type/franchise of the game?

After playing Quake, it's hard to come back to Doom (although I'm deadly when I get the hang of it again) as well as playing older Mario Karts after playing Mario Kart DS and Double Dash!!, but I can't even play the others anymore, because I got so used to constant drifting in recent titles.

I have a hard time going back to almost the entire "early 3D" era. The Playstation, Saturn, N64...i know there are good games on there, and i still collect for them, but those three are by *far* my least-played systems because most games are so hard on the eyes. I just need to get them all hooked up to a separate tv one of these days though, they look a little more tolerable when they're smaller. It's astonishing how much better my NES looks than a Playstation on a 52" DLP. :)

I second the PSX/N64 3D games. For a while, I was playing PC games becuase I didn't have a PS2 or anything. So I was used to good grapics and clean textures and far draw distances.

Then I come back to the PSX and I almost puked. I couldn't believe how bad the games looked. I remember putting blaster master in the system and thinking it was hard to play because the graphics were so bad.

But, I have not been playing many recent games and sticking more to N64 and below era games, and now I am used to the graphics and I can tolerate them once again.

Final Fight on the SNES is hard to go back to. Many of the old style beat-em-ups have lost their appeal to me, and wind up being really repetitive.

Final Fight on the SNES is hard to go back to. Many of the old style beat-em-ups have lost their appeal to me, and wind up being really repetitive.

I still love Final Fight. I can play that any day of the week and still get absorbed into it.

I love 2D beat-em ups.

After getting a 7800 for the first time in my life this year, I have a hard time playing 2600 versions of games like Centipede or especially Donkey Kong.

On the other hand, I still prefer the original Super Mario Brothers and Punch Out for the NES over the newer SNES versions, same goes for the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis.

I recently have gotten back into the N64 and it hasn't been hard or anything, I still enjoy all the games I have for it. For whatever reason, I cannot play any PS1 games. The older systems like NES and Atari 2600 were never hard to get back to after taking breaks from playing them, but like I said the PS1 just doesn't work for me anymore.

i recently bought a PS1 so i could play a few games that will no longer run on my PC

Road & Tracks - The Need for Speed ( the original NFS and the best imo)

+

NFS 2

and they these seem ok gfx aint good of course but managable.

Then i bought Ridge racer + Ridge Type 4

o dear lol ,they seem to me at least ,so blocky i cant actually tell where the corners are 50% of the time and Type 4 is terrible,car was flat out at top speed and i thought i was in 1st gear the update rate of the graphics was so slow :) when i realised it was a t full speed i almost passed out in shock :D

saying that i still think Grand Turismo 2 still looks reasonably good for its age and still plays well.

Yeah, for some reason, SMB NES feels alot better than the All-Stars remake.

I also prefer old Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Zelda games although I love the new ones, but that is another topic I guess.

I totally agree. They don't play like the first games. In SMB1, you cant bounce high when you stomp on an enemy, but on the all stars version you can.

Also, PSX games can look fairly decent when played on an emulator.

1. Megamania: Shooting space cheeseburgers? Great! But um.... even Space Invaders was deeper than this. I give myself nightmares imagining a misguided teacher giving this out to children with better graphics and random Healthy Eating Trivia between stages.

2. Final Fight - This game started the trend of actually hurting the player's character if you even tried to do more than punch or jump kick it's hordes of 5 people wearing different colored clothes in a bold effort to look like a real street gang. Die.

3. Journey Escape - Beautiful visuals, as you run across an endless neon sea - HA ONK! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep b HA ONK! HA ONK! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo! beep beep beep beep -beep beep boo!

Edited by A Sprite

n8littlefield-You need to get the anniversary "genesis" version that came out for the Game Boy Advance. They tweeked it in just two ways, you can save your progress and you can spin dash!

I have a hard time going back to all the "pre-save" era games. I've gotten so spoiled that I can't stand to sit through an entire game any more, I like to save and come back to it when I feel like it with the modern games.

I have to agree with the other posters on the PS1 games being physically painfull to look at until you get used to it again. But I still love tomb raider 1-5 on the PS1 more than I ever have for the PC.

Edited by ultramoo

n8littlefield-You need to get the anniversary "genesis" version that came out for the Game Boy Advance. They tweeked it in just two ways, you can save your progress and you can spin dash!

Interesting. Up until now I thought the only other version to include this was "Sonic Jam" for the Saturn. The nice thing about the Sonic Jam version is that the spin dash on Sonic 1 can be turned on or off - can the GBA version be configured in this way as well?

Naw, I don't think you're the only one. I enjoy playing them in the original format, but I have to admit, when given the choice (read: emulator, which the GCN editions of those really are) I do rather prefer the higher resolution, even if the actual models and textures aren't improved.

I had a hard time coming back to Shining Force 3 (Saturn) seven years after I played it AND after getting used to all the 2-D Shining Force games (GBA, Genny, Sega CD) before returning to part 3. MAN this game looks like ass when I compare it to any 3-D GameCube game I've played recently.

I've gotten used to it, though. Kind of charming in a way. It helps that I haven't plugged up the Dreamcast or Cube since I came back to the Saturn a few weeks ago.

Interesting. Up until now I thought the only other version to include this was "Sonic Jam" for the Saturn. The nice thing about the Sonic Jam version is that the spin dash on Sonic 1 can be turned on or off - can the GBA version be configured in this way as well?

Yes, you have a choice at startup of playing the "original" version which doesn't have any of the upgrades or the "enhanced" version with the spin dash and save features. I found the Spring Yard zones very difficult because Sonic just doesn't control well in this port. I'm still happy with it though, but Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 are much much better and more fun.

I'm gonna say Milon's Secret Castle -- of course, that game was unpopular to begin with.

I remember the hell of a time I had beating it... it was July 4, 2006. After I got off work, I popped the game in and began playing... I must have continued hundreds of times. SEVEN HOURS LATER, I kicked its ass. I haven't touched the game since then.

Some items in the game which must be found to continue, aren't always obvious... and looking up a FAQ is a pain in the ass. Oh well -- at least I can say I defeated a giant turd! (The boss, or the whole game itself?)

OT: I would later learn that "FAQ" isn't pronounced as separate letters... :roll: