IGNORED

Built-in DOS

yorgle

Is there such a thing as an OS that has a DOS built in? I recall from my mis-spent days of youth (the Commodore years) that I never had to load a DOS in order to use the disk drive. Is there and Atari equivallent of this?

I'm not aware of any boot rom or operating system rom level modifications that provide this. The closest is cartridge based DOS's like Spartados X and MyDOS (on cart).

It was probably good for the Commodore that you didn't have to load a DOS every time, the transfer speed of the disk drive sure was painfully slow. Interesting to read Wikipedia about why that came about.

Glenn

Yeah, that 1541 was a snail, but it was alot easier to use.

Actually I disagree completely. The only thing easier was to load or save a program. Other tasks, such as renaming, deleting or copying files was a PITA as you had to type in long commands in BASIC. Atari DOS was awesome as it provided an easy to use menu for all disk related operations. I had both platforms in the mid 80's and I was really dissapointed that the C64 did not have an Atari like DOS. There were some programs but nothing like the old Atari DOS.

Edited by tjlazer

1050 drives with Speedy have Bibo DOS internally. If you power on your a8 with the drive powered on and

the drive door open, it boots the DOS within 2 or 3 seconds. Or a sectorcopier if using a Speedy DS.

So there is built in DOS, but its built into the drive :)

Afaik,

the "16k bibomon" sold by Compyshop and the "25k bibomon" sold by klaus peters also had a DOS in the ROM. bibomon was a) various ROMS (XL/XE), b) Oldrunner OS (800 comp. OS), c) internal clock (16k Bibomon), d) a printer something (maybe a built-in printer driver or printer spooler or whatever...), e) a monitor program f) a DOS and possibly some other things in ROM. It was an alternative OS ROM for XL/XE computers, plus some nice utilities - very similar to Omnimon and others... Maybe Abbuc Floppydoc Erhard Puetz still sells the 25k Bibomon...

Besides, there is the Speedy 1050 (like Beetle said) with Bibo DOS in ROM and there also exists the Turbo Speedy 1050 with Turbo DOS XL/XE (by Reitershan) and some utilities in ROM. Afaik, the folks in poland also had a lot of disk drives with DOSses (and/or utilities) in ROM - think the TOMS turbo drive had MyDOS 4.50 in ROM... The speedy 1050 is still available from Abbuc, but I have been told it only works on PAL drives...

There also was the 512k Romdisk by Ralf David / Klaus Peters, which allowed you to copy almost anything to this Eprom board (might it be a DOS or a game or other stuff; the supplied copy program even allowed to copy some programs with copy protection). You read-in a disk and wrote it to the Romdisk - later you did boot off the Romdisk (extremely fast)... But this was a plug-in board for the PBI of the XL computers... Abbuc still has the schematics for the 512k Romdisk... Not sure if Erhard Puetz still sells them...

And err, Video 61 has the Instant DOS (sp?) cartridge available, as well as MyDOS and Sparta on cart...

-Andreas Koch.