IGNORED

Were these ColecoVision games released in real boxes?

Pixelboy

Can anyone here tell me if these ColecoVision games were actually released in retail cardboard boxes?

- Amazing Bumpman

- Boulder Dash

- Cosmic Crisis

- Gust Buster

- Meteoric Shower (inside the Telegames Personal Arcade only? Never as a cartridge?)

- Skiing

- Strike It!

- Super Action Soccer

- Tank Wars

- The Yolk's On You

- Wizard of Id's Wizmath (can't seem to find any solid info on this one...)

I've seen most of these offered as repros, or sold in cheap repro plastic boxes (with bad photocopies as covers), so what I really want to know is whether these exist as true retail releases. I think I saw a cardboard box version of Super Action Soccer on the european side of eBay sometime last year, but I'm not 100% sure...

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

EDIT: Fixed small typo.

Edited by Pixelboy

Can anyone here tell me if these ColecoVision games were actually released in retail cardboard boxes?

- Amazing Bumpman

- Boulder Dash

- Cosmic Crisis

- Gust Buster

- Meteoric Shower (inside the Telegames Personal Arcade only? Never as a cartridge?)

- Skiing

- Strike It!

- Super Action Soccer

- Tank Wars

- The Yolk's On You

- Wizard of Id's Wizmath (can't seem to into any solid info on this one...)

I've seen most of these offered as repros, or sold in cheap repro plastic boxes (with bad photocopies as covers), so what I really want to know is whether these exist as true retail releases. I think I saw a cardboard box version of Super Action Soccer on the european side of eBay sometime last year, but I'm not 100% sure...

I have Gust Buster in a real commercial box. I also have some of the others but as photocopied ones from Telegames.

- Amazing Bumpman

- Boulder Dash

- Cosmic Crisis

- Gust Buster

- Skiing

- Strike It!

- Super Action Soccer

- Tank Wars

- The Yolk's On You

- Wizard of Id's Wizmath (can't seem to into any solid info on this one...)

I have owned the Gust Buster box in the past. I had an original Wizmath game (not box) but I sold it in my huge lot earlier in the year. Wizmath was a tough one to get. I assume that there is a box for that. Telegames released some of those titles.

- Boulder Dash: no cardboard box, just a green Telegames clamshell case with printed color insert and printed manual

- Cosmic Crisis: not believed to have a box, came in a carded Telegames bag with text instructions

- Gust Buster: yes

- Strike It!: same as Cosmic Crisis

- Tank Wars: same as above

- The Yolk's On You: no box, just the Adam's House/EColeco repro cart with typed text instructons AFAIK

Not sure about the others...send a PM to Trade-N-Games or chuys450 and they may have more info.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

- Boulder Dash: no cardboard box, just a green Telegames clamshell case with printed color insert and printed manual

- Cosmic Crisis: not believed to have a box, came in a carded Telegames bag with text instructions

- The Yolk's On You: no box, just the Adam's House/EColeco repro cart with typed text instructons AFAIK

Not sure about the others...send a PM to Trade-N-Games or chuys450 and they may have more info.

Yeah, most of the ose are Telegames releases with no boxes, and Yolk's on YOu is a repro.

I do have a Wizard of Id box. It is oversized and I am sure it's tough to get even moreso nowadays...

Well, if some of these games don't come with boxes, I'd love to make my own... In Boulder Dash's case, there's the box in this eBay item that I could use as a scan model, but the seller's price is insane.

Also, I do have a copy of Tank Wars here, but the image on the plastic box was taken from Activision's Robot Tank. If I were to make my own box for Tank Wars, I'd use the artwork from Battle City, since they're very similar games.

I also have Cosmic Crisis with a plastic box, and the image on the box is so downright crappy, you can hardly make out what the image is supposed to represent. I can only wonder where they took that artwork from...

That reminds me, I've never seen the box for Amazing Bumpman. Is there one, or is it another boxless Telegames release?

That reminds me, I've never seen the box for Amazing Bumpman. Is there one, or is it another boxless Telegames release?

I believe so...I've been talking to a few people about these recently trying to figure out what's what. DreamTR says his Bumpman is bagged, no clamshell.

I believe so...I've been talking to a few people about these recently trying to figure out what's what. DreamTR says his Bumpman is bagged, no clamshell.

I just stumbled upon RetroGames, and I noticed that they used the exact same box artwork for Cosmic Crisis and Strike It! (whatever that artwork is, I can't really make it out).

Our book coming out Classic 80's Home Video Games will have scans of most of the games and what we have been able to find so far all listed out. Check out the picture of on the back cover of the book Here We have Wiz Math on the back cover and it is super hard to find in its oversized box. And then here are a few of my Telegames collection and the only way I have found them so far.

Jason

post-1807-1192905172_thumb.jpg

post-1807-1192905189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trade-N-Games

Our book coming out Classic 80's Home Video Games will have scans of most of the game and what we have been able to find so far all listed out. Check out the picture of on the back cover of the book Here We have Wiz Math on the back cover and it is super hard to find in its oversized box. And then here are a few of my Telegames collection and the only way I have found them.

Jason

Great to hear about your book - will certainly be getting that for Christmas :)

Below is a photo of a few of the games I bought from Telegames in the UK (before I moved to Canada in 2005). The commercial Gust Busters one is there plus a Cosmic Crisis in one of the green clamshell boxes instead of the plastic bags. I also have a blister pack white label Time Pilot.

Also in the picture is, I believe, an incredibly rare Super Action Football (or as they say over here, Soccer). I don't know if this was ever officially released by Coleco, but it is certainly complete. The cartridge has a proper colour label, however the instructions are photocopied and the game is in a green clamshell box. The box artwork appears to have been completed by CBS/Coleco and then photocopied by Telegames UK.

Games.jpg

• Like 1

Great to hear about your book - will certainly be getting that for Christmas :)

Below is a photo of a few of the games I bought from Telegames in the UK (before I moved to Canada in 2005). The commercial Gust Busters one is there plus a Cosmic Crisis in one of the green clamshell boxes instead of the plastic bags. I also have a blister pack white label Time Pilot.

Also in the picture is, I believe, an incredibly rare Super Action Football (or as they say over here, Soccer). I don't know if this was ever officially released by Coleco, but it is certainly complete. The cartridge has a proper colour label, however the instructions are photocopied and the game is in a green clamshell box. The box artwork appears to have been completed by CBS/Coleco and then photocopied by Telegames UK.

No one ever seems to want to believe me, but I believe 99% of the Super Action Soccer carts I've seen are reproductions, and the one pictured seems to be as well. The most obvious sign of this is the U.S. cart shell, but the CBS label. I've not seen a single CBS cart that was original that wasn't in the CBS handle type shell. Superaction Soccer/Football wasn't released in the US, nor have I ever seen the overlays if there were any produced, but there should have been an original full color box available in the UK or Europe at some point.

Edited by Murph74
  • Like 1

No one ever seems to want to believe me, but I believe 99% of the Super Action Soccer carts I've seen are reproductions, and the one pictured seems to be as well. The most obvious sign of this is the U.S. cart shell, but the CBS label. I've not seen a single CBS cart that was original that wasn't in the CBS handle type shell. Superaction Soccer/Football wasn't released in the US, nor have I ever seen the overlays if there were any produced, but there should have been an original full color box available in the UK or Europe at some point.

Well I believe you. I'm from the UK and never saw Super Action Soccer released and have never seen an official 1984 release version anywhere. As I'm sure you know Telegames UK bought up CBS's Coleco stock but not all the games they received were physically complete - particularly if they were on the verge of release to the shops. In the case of Super Action "Soccer" they may have had a lot of cartridge labels but not much else except for maybe one (or a few) colour box(es) and instructions which they then photocopied. They "manufactured" some Super Action "Soccer" cartridges using US cartridge shells (I assume they had no CBS cart shells available) but with the original CBS labels.

As I said before, I bought my copy from Telegames UK around 3 years ago (I actually bought their last two copies) and believe that this format may have been the only format they were ever released in. I would love to be proven wrong and to see this in a proper CBS cartridge shell and full colour cardboard box would be something great to see. So if there were never any offical releases then I suppose these Telegame produced games are repros even if they do include some original components.

I'm actually looking to sell on my spare copy of Super Action "Soccer" - it will be listed on eBay soon.

Ah! I knew I had that Super Action Soccer box pic in my records! I just had to look for it... :)

It's a spanish release, apparently, and the box is a little weird, like the familiar plastic boxes but only about half as tall.

Did CBS produce Spanish versions or is this a repro as well? I have many of their European release boxes which are in four languages, English, French, German and Italian and so do not appear to be targeted at the Spanish market. I have also seen some boxes that were the same as the earlier UK releases (which were only in English) but were instead only in French. Did CBS initially release games with packaging only in the native countries language and then later move onto multi-lingual European packaging?

Edited by Ikrananka

. I would love to be proven wrong and to see this in a proper CBS cartridge shell and full colour cardboard box would be something great to see.

Getting closer...

Oooooh - you big tease. Is that from your collection? If it is, where did you get it from (if you don't mind me asking)? Just curious if it was still from Telegames but was maybe from a batch they sold early when they still had some in CBS cart shells.

Now where is that full colour cardboard box? :D

Edited by Ikrananka

. I would love to be proven wrong and to see this in a proper CBS cartridge shell and full colour cardboard box would be something great to see.

Getting closer...

Oooooh - you big tease. Is that from your collection? If it is, where did you get it from (if you don't mind me asking)? Just curious if it was still from Telegames but was maybe from a batch they sold early when they still had some in CBS cart shells.

Hehe-- well if it goes well, it will be in my collection next week. :) I don't claim anything til I physically have it. lol That was an Ebay BIN this weekend. :)

Getting closer...

Hehe-- well if it goes well, it will be in my collection next week. :) I don't claim anything til I physically have it. lol That was an Ebay BIN this weekend. :)

Well done!! Not surprising you got it first as I found it hard to find - the game title was not particularly good, i.e. states CBS but not ColecoVision, Auction instead of Action. Took a few manual searches for me to find it.

Man I would have loved to have got hold of this one. I am mainly a CBS collector and have most of them new or nearly new in boxes. Unfortunately my soccer, as you know, is the Telegames "repro".

Edited by Ikrananka

Just checking the SA Soccer thing out-- and Ianoid over at DP claims to have a Cardboard box version in a 2003 thread. I can post the link if anyone wants it or just PM me, but no pics yet...

Have you tried to contact Ianoid? Looks like he's a DP Staffer and still very active on their forum.

I also found another person who claims to have a boxed SA Soccer. I've sent him an email but he is not very active on these kind of forums. I'll let you know if I get any info back.

Let's get to the bottom of this.

There ya go-- PingV saw it... there's one CIB on Ebay now. Same guy who's been selling all these other rarities. Nice guy as I've talked with him in Email, but I sure wish he woulda just had a garage sale and I had been there first. :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 230187354447 (same link)

Yeah, I spotted that last night. Glad to see proof that this thing actually exists! :D

I bought a number of items from this guy (won a boxed Up'N'Down last night), and I'm hoping he will eventually put more of what I'm looking for on eBay soon. :)

BTW, just to close up the original topic of this thread, does anyone here know if Skiing and Amazing Bumpman were released as silver-labeled carts? I'm assuming there's no box for either of them, and I'm also assuming Meteoric Shower was never released in cart format...

Oh! And I have a small story to tell! If you may recall:

Well, if some of these games don't come with boxes, I'd love to make my own... In Boulder Dash's case, there's the box in this eBay item that I could use as a scan model, but the seller's price is insane.

I contacted an european collector of boxed Boulder Dash games which I found on the net, and I asked him if he had the PC version with the same box as in the eBay auction. Not only did he not have it, but he bought the one on eBay the very same day! And to thank me for the link I gave him to this eBay item, he's going to scan the box and manual for me as soon as he receives it! Not only that, but he's also going to scan the Telegames box of the CV version (which I don't have... yet). With all this material, I'll be able to make by own Boulder Dash cardboard box, like I did with Steamroller. In fact, I'm considering doing two versions of the box, one white like the original Telegames plastic box, and the other using the standard blue Telegames template used by Tournament Tennis and Motocross Racer. I'll get started on those early next year, and I'll probably also do boxes for Tank Wars, Cosmic Crisis and Strike It. Should be fun. :)

Yeah, I spotted that last night. Glad to see proof that this thing actually exists! :D

Yes indeed - glad to see proof finally. As a CBS ColecoVision collector I'm gonna have to have a go at this one. With dmonroe05 and cameleonsmoker already in a bidding frenzy this one is going to be expensive.

BTW, just to close up the original topic of this thread, does anyone here know if Skiing and Amazing Bumpman were released as silver-labeled carts? I'm assuming there's no box for either of them, and I'm also assuming Meteoric Shower was never released in cart format...

I have a repro Skiing cart that has a matt silver label representing, I can only assume, a Telegames label. The quality of the repro label is not very good. Not much help I'm afraid.

Yes indeed - glad to see proof finally. As a CBS ColecoVision collector I'm gonna have to have a go at this one. With dmonroe05 and cameleonsmoker already in a bidding frenzy this one is going to be expensive.

Better you than those two dingdongs! I'll be watching but not bidding, so good luck!