IGNORED

WOW 18,000 for Atlantis II

thevnaguy

Homer,

I'm sorry to say it, but the true VALUE of any game at any one time is what the highest bidder is prepared to pay. The fact that it is the first contest cart, etc, etc, is what gives this cart its VALUE (i.e. what real people are prepared to pay) and its VALUE is not $18,000.

I would say that an Atlantis 2 cart with a mint label would not command more than $1,500. I feel I am a better authority than anyone on this forum to know the value of an Atlantis 2 cart today as I recently sold one.

If you want to prove me wrong, list it on Ebay for 99c starting price and lets see what it gets. End of story.

I would say that an Atlantis 2 cart with a mint label would not command more than $1,500. I feel I am a better authority than anyone on this forum to know the value of an Atlantis 2 cart today as I recently sold one.

If you want to prove me wrong, list it on Ebay for 99c starting price and lets see what it gets. End of story.

I like that idea, put it up with a 99 cents starting bid, go ahead and set your reserve at $18,000, and lets see what kind of dollars this thing pulls :twisted: I would be amazed if it got $1,500 in this condition.

I like that idea, put it up with a 99 cents starting bid, go ahead and set your reserve at $18,000, and lets see what kind of dollars this thing pulls :twisted: I would be amazed if it got $1,500 in this condition.

I said $1,500 with a mint label...

Edit: Why even set a reserve. If Homer is sure this thing is worth so much and he is interested in selling, just let the auction play out.

Edited by Dino

Edit: Why even set a reserve. If Homer is sure this thing is worth so much and he is interested in selling, just let the auction play out.

Eventually a legit one will surface with no reserve. When that happens then we will see. :)

Eventually a legit one will surface with no reserve. When that happens then we will see. :)

Are you saying your AII cart is not legit. Have you been pullin our legs. :ponder:

I take it that you concede then that as at November 2007, Atlantis 2 isn't worth what you are claiming it is worth and you do not have the confidence to allow it to go to auction so you can make a hefty (albeit smaller than $18k) return on your investment. You claim its worth more than rare Sega carts etc that are worth $2.5k+, so if that's the case, put it to auction and what it gets. Otherwise, take it from me. Your cart is worth less than $1,500 today ;)

Homer,

I'm sorry to say it, but the true VALUE of any game at any one time is what the highest bidder is prepared to pay. The fact that it is the first contest cart, etc, etc, is what gives this cart its VALUE (i.e. what real people are prepared to pay) and its VALUE is not $18,000.

In his defense, if the true value is the most 1 bidder will pay then a true auction on ebay will not determine this. That will only determine what the second high bidder will pay plus the min bid raise.

I say its real value is different than what you can get for it at any given moment which goes up and down. For that you need to follow the market for years, thru its ups and downs and know the buyers and why they pay what they pay. Ask Ianoid or Marco or CPUwiz for a real value assessment. Still that doesn't mean a buyer won't overpay and pay more but I think you need to be a bit closer to the real value with your starting bid to even attract a serious bidder. 18k for this one is a joke and no one will take it serious. Try 5k and take best offer.

I think the value is closer to the 1k mark. 2k might be possible with a bidder who doesn't do his homework and overpays but I don't think you can expect much more than that. Then again if he really thinks its a 1/100 or 1/1000 shot I say list it 100 times or 1000 times and get that 18k sale.

I have heard that there is an....... Xante Subterranea. I think something like that would and should go for more than an AII cart. Just my opinion though. :|

No way. One Xante is the same as another unless its an undiscovered unreleased game.

How's that. Not trying to argue but if games are popping up that are a company that few know made certain games and you have a company that made a comp cart that is already established. Why would it not be worth more. Given that it is proven it is a true authentic copy and not a repro hack cart. :|

I have heard that there is an....... Xante Subterranea. I think something like that would and should go for more than an AII cart. Just my opinion though. :|

No way. One Xante is the same as another unless its an undiscovered unreleased game.

How's that. Not trying to argue but if games are popping up that are a company that few know made certain games and you have a company that made a comp cart that is already established. Why would it not be worth more. Given that it is proven it is a true authentic copy and not a repro hack cart. :|

Its a copy cart no?

I think some titles will get a few more bucks from fans of a certain title but most collectors who want a Xante just want one cart and one title is about as good as another.

Homer,

In his defense, if the true value is the most 1 bidder will pay then a true auction on ebay will not determine this. That will only determine what the second high bidder will pay plus the min bid raise.

I say its real value is different than what you can get for it at any given moment which goes up and down. For that you need to follow the market for years, thru its ups and downs and know the buyers and why they pay what they pay. Ask Ianoid or Marco or CPUwiz for a real value assessment. Still that doesn't mean a buyer won't overpay and pay more but I think you need to be a bit closer to the real value with your starting bid to even attract a serious bidder. 18k for this one is a joke and no one will take it serious. Try 5k and take best offer.

I think the value is closer to the 1k mark. 2k might be possible with a bidder who doesn't do his homework and overpays but I don't think you can expect much more than that. Then again if he really thinks its a 1/100 or 1/1000 shot I say list it 100 times or 1000 times and get that 18k sale.

Sure, Marco etc can give a real assessment (and they have). The point is that an auction would give a ball-park valuation, give or take several hundred $.

Are you saying your AII cart is not legit. Have you been pullin our legs. :ponder:

Mine is definitely legit, no question about that. What I am saying is that one of these days one of the other 11 people will sell theirs at a lower starting off price with no reserve and well see. Here is the problem with this cart compared to others. This cart never sells on Ebay. If it does sell it is usually in a private transaction. Most people will agree on one thing. This cart almost never changes hands. Unlike Pepsi invaders which will probably change hands 7 times this year. I don't think this cart has changed hands more than 2 times ever in a year. Again almost all are private transactions. Of all the detractors here. They all can agree with me on one thing. This cart is extremely hard to get. Decypher literally had a $2,500 bounty on this cart for a period of 6 months before anyone would give him the time of day and sell one to him. So unlike most games you see where you can have the philosophy of"I'll just be patient until another one comes along on Ebay." Those in the know will tell you straight up that you might be waiting years before you get another chance at this cart at least on Ebay. Here is the problem with this though. Because this cart never goes up for auction at a realistic starting price, no one knows for sure what this cart would actually fetch. Because of this, people can speculate that it will go from anywhere from $500 to $????. In reality at the moment there is no set price. Hence why you have one person saying it will go for one thing and another saying it will go for another. To tell you the truth this is why there is so much controversy involved with the cart. If it had a set price Zeitsheba would not of tried to sell his for $50,000 and I probably would not try to sell mine for $18,000. Well at least we will know one thing. If mine does not sell for $18,0000, then we at least know it is not worth $18,000, which is of little consolation to a lot of people.

Also, here is one more thing. I did get one of my carts with the paperwork on Ebay for $2,000. The problem with the auction though was the guy put a huge reserve on it and no one was able to get it. Yes I did pay $2,000 for the Atlantis II cart with Docs, but what people forget is this. I was the third highest bidder with an auction with a reserve on it. I only got this cart on a second chance offer. Had the seller had no reserve for the auction I can guarantee you without a doubt it would of gone for more. People were definitely turned off by the fact that the seller had a huge reserve. He definitely could of had more bidders. Some people refuse to bid on reserve auctions exactly because of what Crazy Climber described. People tend to think reserve auctions are show off auctions trying to get a handle on what their game is actually worth. When I bid $2,000 on this and it still had the reserve a lot of people were thinking show off who is just trying to get a price on what he has. Amazingly 2 people still bid higher than me even though this was the mind set at the time. As far as I can remember there has never been a legit Atlantis II cart that people knew was legit that has sold without a reserve in the 5 years I have been searching Ebay. 5 years and not one legit cart without a reserve has come up. There was a fake one that showed up about 4 months ago, but most people had the feeling it was fake based on his far away picture of the cart and the way he described it. So one of these days a real one will show up without a reserve. And when that day happens we will have a better understanding of what this thing should go for. But until that day happens it is all just speculation.

Edited by homerwannabee

This cart is extremely hard to get. Decypher literally had a $2,500 bounty on this cart for a period of 6 months before anyone would give him the time of day and sell one to him. So unlike most games you see where you can have the philosophy of"I'll just be patient until another one comes along on Ebay." Those in the know will tell straight up that you might be waiting years before you get another chance at this cart at least on Ebay.

I can think of dozens of carts that come up less regularly on eBay then Atlantis II, and most wouldn't fetch $30 let alone $2,500.

This cart is extremely hard to get. Decypher literally had a $2,500 bounty on this cart for a period of 6 months before anyone would give him the time of day and sell one to him. So unlike most games you see where you can have the philosophy of"I'll just be patient until another one comes along on Ebay." Those in the know will tell straight up that you might be waiting years before you get another chance at this cart at least on Ebay.

I can think of dozens of carts that come up less regularly on eBay then Atlantis II, and most wouldn't fetch $30 let alone $2,500.

Yes, but most of the people who have those carts probably would sell theirs if someone offered them a $100. :) I am not saying that because it is hard to get that is more valuable. I am just saying it is extremely hard to get on and off Ebay. I realize now that arguing about how much it would fetch would be merely playing a speculation game. It is not going to get us anywhere.

Yes, but most of the people who have those carts probably would sell theirs if someone offered them a $100. :) I am not saying that because it is hard to get that is more valuable. I am just saying it is extremely hard to get on and off Ebay.

So if a CIB copy of The Music Machine shows up on eBay (none available in over five years), you believe it's worth $10,000+?

This happens all the time in our hobby. Complete Music Machine,complete Lochjaw,complete Eli's Ladder,complete Video Life even Pepsi Invaders had a dry spell. The price is usually based on the price of an equally rare item. Now if someone throws out a huge bounty then that changes it. But without a huge bounty a loose Atlantis II would sell for the price as most loose R10s. A complete one for about the price as most complete ones.

I think 2k is a good price and no way you will lose out. You could double your money or even more and it will continue to slowly go up as other R10s go up over time. For 5 digit prices you need something like PGP-1 for which I think its very possible. A legit 9k offer has already been turned down for one. How many of those are there 2 or 3? The closest comparison would be a gameshark or a game action replay on other systems. Which sell for nothing compared to this so thats really not a good guide to cross systems esp across generations.

For 5 digit prices you need something like PGP-1 for which I think its very possible. A legit 9k offer has already been turned down for one. How many of those are there 2 or 3?

Indeed...a PGP-1 is probably the only thing that could probably top $10k. According to Answer Software, 12 of them were made, and yes, only 2 or 3 of them are currently known to exist in the hands of collectors. Al Backiel has/had one.

For 5 digit prices you need something like PGP-1 for which I think its very possible. A legit 9k offer has already been turned down for one. How many of those are there 2 or 3?

Indeed...a PGP-1 is probably the only thing that could probably top $10k. According to Answer Software, 12 of them were made, and yes, only 2 or 3 of them are currently known to exist in the hands of collectors. Al Backiel has/had one.

Al sold his to John Hardie.

Sommerack had one too. Two guys bought him out. Marco and Rik but I can't remember which one got the PGP-1.

Unsure who has the 3rd if anyone

I think some of the Swordquest competition stuff would pull $10,000+ (Sword, chalice, etc..) I do get the point you are getting across though.

Yes, but most of the people who have those carts probably would sell theirs if someone offered them a $100. :) I am not saying that because it is hard to get that is more valuable. I am just saying it is extremely hard to get on and off Ebay.

So if a CIB copy of The Music Machine shows up on eBay (none available in over five years), you believe it's worth $10,000+?

I think your CIB copy of Music Machine is an extremely bad example. There is only one CIB copy of Music Machine available in the world. If that were to show up for auction who knows. It might just get 10K because the owner would be the only one on earth known to have one. There are 9 CIB copies of Video Life and that sucker went for 5K. So why not something that has only one known CIB copy hit 10K? Just my 2 cents. OK, I will say this again. Just because this is hard to get does not mean it is more valuable. All I am saying is Atlantis II is extremely hard to get. Not that is valuable because it is extremely hard to get. I am saying though because it changes hands so rarely and mostly in private off Ebay. It is hard to get a handle on the value of it. Again it could be anywhere from $500 to $????. We just don't know. And arguing that it is this value or that value is pointless. It is all just speculation. It means absolutely nothing until a legit one comes up for auction starting off at $500 or lower without a reserve.

Edit: I actually see there is two. Still on a very good day who knows.

Edited by homerwannabee

No one will pay 10k for a Music Machine. It was a retail release. Sure its rare but those in the hunt expect others to pop up over time. They may be wrong but they can't risk spending 10k only to see another found and selling for half the price.

As for Video Life the copies are MINT and NEW which is part of it. There is a known print run (less than Atlantis II or just about any other game) of 20 or 50 or some crazy low number. The big stash has been found and one or two may be found but they won't be in new condition.