IGNORED

7800 chip indentification - help needed

birdie3

I am attempting to trouble shoot a problem with my socketed 7800 motherboard and I am not sure which chip is which. Can anyone assist me with identifying all of the chips on the motherboard? Thanks in advance.

Edited by birdie3

I guess were all not to mechanically inclined. I had a similar conendrum awhile back. Couldn't get help either. :|

I could do this, but I don't have easy access to a 7800 right now. If someone could provide a high resolution image of the PCB I could identify the chips.

Dan

Yeah, the numbers on the chips aren't readable in that pic, but I dug out one of my 7800's:

The major chips are

Left side

CO25349-30 (MARIA) - Handles graphics in 7800 mode, and clock generation and address decoding in both modes.

CO14806C-29 (CPU) - Atari's version of the 6502 CPU

Middle column

6116L-5 (RAM) - 2K x 8bit static RAM, only used in 7800 mode

6116L-5 (RAM) - 2K x 8bit static RAM, only used in 7800 mode

BIOS ROM - Used for boot up

CO10444D-01 (TIA) - Graphics in 2600 mode, Sound and fire buttons in both modes

6532 (RIOT) - RAM and Timer in 2600 mode, Joystick direction, difficulty switches, pause, select, and reset switched in both modes.

Dan

OK. I have made some progress with my issue. If anyone is interested you can also read about it in the Hardware section in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1400978

At this point, there are two issues. One being that the console upon start up will quite often bypass the Atari intro/logo screen and boot up a game with garbled and wavy/rolling graphics. The other issue is that there are some games (like 7800 Commando and 7800 Xevious) that have no fire button response with stock Atari 7800 joypads while all 2600 games and games like 7800 Joust have full response with the joypads.

Any help with figuring this out and how to fix it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

OK. I have made some progress with my issue. If anyone is interested you can also read about it in the Hardware section in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1400978

At this point, there are two issues. One being that the console upon start up will quite often bypass the Atari intro/logo screen and boot up a game with garbled and wavy/rolling graphics. The other issue is that there are some games (like 7800 Commando and 7800 Xevious) that have no fire button response with stock Atari 7800 joypads while all 2600 games and games like 7800 Joust have full response with the joypads.

Any help with figuring this out and how to fix it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

Sounds like you need to fix the controller ports as there is a dead conection there somewhere. Also you best clean your contacts on the cart connector as it sounds alot like the 4 end pins on the left and right might not be clean.

Sounds like you need to fix the controller ports as there is a dead conection there somewhere. Also you best clean your contacts on the cart connector as it sounds alot like the 4 end pins on the left and right might not be clean.

The strange part is that the controller ports have always worked fine up until last night. This controller button issue is a totally new problem. I did notice that I scraped a couple of the circuit leads on the PCB from the under RIOT chip socket when I was removing it with a flat head from it's socket. Perhaps I buggered up the lead that connects the controller buttons.

What do the four end pins on the connector do? I have tried removing the plastic housing around the connector but it seems to be attached pretty good to the board. I assume that the connector is attached directly to this housing and I would have to de-solder the connector to get it off.