IGNORED

Paddles have damaged my 2600! Help!

rheffera

I was cleaning out my Paddles As described. It seemed to do ok until it came itme to test the paddles again. I plugged kaboom in and noticed several things wrong at once. The sounds were all distorted / and or different. Secondly, when i moved the paddle to the right, i got severe graphical glitches in kaboom. the buckets wrapped around the screen to the other side. Here is a picture of graphical anomaly:

post-9059-1193724793_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo but as you can see the buckets are half off screen, the mad bombers bomb is in the upper left hand corner and the mad bomber himself and the score counter are now in upper right corner.

I have tried different paddle games like medieval Mayhem and ALL OF THE GAMES exhibit sound distortions / mutations AND GRAPHICAL GLITCHES. In the case of medieval mayhem, if the paddles werent plugged in when the 2600 was turned on, the music would play as normal, but when paddles were plugged in it would go all freaky again.

HOWEVER NON-PADDLE GAMES SEEM TO WORK AS THEY SHOULD.

IT IS NOT MY KABOOM CART OR PADDLES as i have tried them on a different Jr. Console and it all works as it should.

However i would like to continue using this damaged 2600 console because it has crystal clear RF reception.

Any ideas whats wrong with it?

I am willing to get it sent off somewhere to be fixed...

Sorry for the poor quality photo but as you can see the buckets are half off screen, the mad bombers bomb is in the upper left hand corner and the mad bomber himself and the score counter are now in upper right corner.

Sounds like the paddles may be pulling VDD to ground, either because of a short in the paddle controllers themselves, or because of damaged paddle circuitry in the 2600. Try another set of paddles.

I was cleaning out my Paddles As described. It seemed to do ok until it came itme to test the paddles again. I plugged kaboom in and noticed several things wrong at once. The sounds were all distorted / and or different. Secondly, when i moved the paddle to the right, i got severe graphical glitches in kaboom. the buckets wrapped around the screen to the other side. Here is a picture of graphical anomaly:

post-9059-1193724793_thumb.jpg

I have tried different paddle games like medieval Mayhem and ALL OF THE GAMES exhibit sound distortions / mutations AND GRAPHICAL GLITCHES. In the case of medieval mayhem, if the paddles werent plugged in when the 2600 was turned on, the music would play as normal, but when paddles were plugged in it would go all freaky again.

HOWEVER NON-PADDLE GAMES SEEM TO WORK AS THEY SHOULD.

IT IS NOT MY KABOOM CART OR PADDLES as i have tried them on a different Jr. Console and it all works as it should.

However i would like to continue using this damaged 2600 console because it has crystal clear RF reception.

Any ideas whats wrong with it?

I am willing to get it sent off somewhere to be fixed...

You would probably have to send it overseas to be fixed, so if its not something easy, its probably better to get a new unit converted. BTW, where did you get your conversion done? i'm interested at some point in getting an RF conversion.

If they work on another Atari then maybe the pins in the controller port got bent.

That would be my guess too. Make sure the pins are all straight, not broken or pushed back into the console, and there's no foreign metal debris among them.

Nope. ALL straight and no debris. not pushed back either.

Edited by rheffera

Maybe you fried the TIA chip as its responsible for reading the paddles. Try swapping it (if its socketed) with another one you know works. Its the chip furthest from the cart port on the 2600A labeled C010444 usually.

The 2600 in question is a Jr. Where is the TIA in that?

Maybe you fried the TIA chip as its responsible for reading the paddles. Try swapping it (if its socketed) with another one you know works. Its the chip furthest from the cart port on the 2600A labeled C010444 usually.

The 2600 in question is a Jr. Where is the TIA in that?

Its still the big one furthest from the cart-port, but won't be socketed. So swapping with another is gonna be a real pita.