IGNORED

Need help on monitor for arcade game

jal4u2c

I have an upright Atari Star Wars arcade game. I got it used several years ago and got a guy from the local arcade to repair it for me. The monitor went about a year or so later. The same guy said he couldn't repair it because they couldn't get those monitors anymore. What can i do to fix the unit? I had heard there was a way to upgrade the monitor and chipset to more modern specs. Anyone know anything about that or how to get it done? I know nothing about electronics. At least not in the sense of soldering and resistors and the like. I am a Star Wars collector and the game is my favorite game. I don't want to scrap it!

Most are easy repairs. He is right, they have been out of production for some time. there are plenty of games that are not as valuable to scavenge parts off of. If you know what you are doing, I would suggest a rebuild (shotgun repair approach) kit and a new flyback. That is 99.9 of what goes wrong on those....power diodes are number one, and they do have a modern fix for that exact section.

Basics first, do you have a spot killer light on the monitor chassis? If so, you have deflection. Do you hear High Voltage? Do you know how to solder? Reflow ALL the joints on the boards. Bottom line, your level of involvement will determine cost but I would be very surprized if you could not get it going for under $100.

C

Most are easy repairs. He is right, they have been out of production for some time. there are plenty of games that are not as valuable to scavenge parts off of. If you know what you are doing, I would suggest a rebuild (shotgun repair approach) kit and a new flyback. That is 99.9 of what goes wrong on those....power diodes are number one, and they do have a modern fix for that exact section.

Basics first, do you have a spot killer light on the monitor chassis? If so, you have deflection. Do you hear High Voltage? Do you know how to solder? Reflow ALL the joints on the boards. Bottom line, your level of involvement will determine cost but I would be very surprized if you could not get it going for under $100.

C

I am out of luck then i guess because i have never soldered anything in my life. I have no idea what half of the stuff you mentioned is, such as deflection or a spot killer light. For the person that asked where i am located, i am in Tennessee in the middle of nowhere.

C

I am out of luck then i guess because i have never soldered anything in my life. I have no idea what half of the stuff you mentioned is, such as deflection or a spot killer light. For the person that asked where i am located, i am in Tennessee in the middle of nowhere.

here is a list of vaps members in tennessee. Find someone with a star wars/space duel/tempest/black widow/gravitar/ or quantum on that list and beg them for help.

Even if they can't help you fix it, maybe they can direct you to someone local who can. The problem is that your only other option would be to ship the whole monitor to someone to have it fixed. PLus you need to find out wht type of monitor you have thats bad. If it has a big metal frame that all the boards that connect to the monitor are mounted to the frame, then it will probably be an inexpensive fix($75-$150).

but if it looks like the tube is just stuck in the wood and boards that mount to the side of the cabinet and connect to the monitor, then your looking at a more expensive fix ($100-$250) so you need to decide how bad you want to keep your star wars. Broken, its probably worth $200-$300.

You are sure only the monitor it out? That means you can hear the game playing with no picture.

http://www.vaps.org/members/location.php?location=Tennessee

C

here is a list of vaps members in tennessee. Find someone with a star wars/space duel/tempest/black widow/gravitar/ or quantum on that list and beg them for help.

Even if they can't help you fix it, maybe they can direct you to someone local who can. The problem is that your only other option would be to ship the whole monitor to someone to have it fixed. PLus you need to find out wht type of monitor you have thats bad. If it has a big metal frame that all the boards that connect to the monitor are mounted to the frame, then it will probably be an inexpensive fix($75-$150).

but if it looks like the tube is just stuck in the wood and boards that mount to the side of the cabinet and connect to the monitor, then your looking at a more expensive fix ($100-$250) so you need to decide how bad you want to keep your star wars. Broken, its probably worth $200-$300.

You are sure only the monitor it out? That means you can hear the game playing with no picture.

http://www.vaps.org/members/location.php?location=Tennessee

Well before it went out it went to like a half screen and then it popped and the whole monitor went out. I do believe the music was still playing when it went. I believe, if i remember what the first guy who worked on it told me, that it has a Wells something monitor. As long as fixing would stay below $500 i would game for getting it fixed. It would be great if i could fins some one to redo the entire inside of it. Its looks pretty old in there. I'm sure that some of the soldering is brittle just by looking at it. All the boards and stuff on mine are on the sides near the bottom. So its probably the second type you mentioned. On the up side, i did manage to get the owners manual and schematic book with the game when i bought it. Anyways, thanks for link to possiblilities.