IGNORED

Easiest joystick for Classic Gaming

missyrelm

Hi,

I am trying to help get my wife into classic gaming, but the joysticks are really bothering her.

She just got sorta used to the PS3 controllers when we bought a TI-99/4A and she *really* didn't like the TI joysticks at all.

I just ordered Y joystick cables for the TI which will allow it to use almost any classic joysticks for systems like the Atari, Commodore, and other ones as well.

Now I am trying to pick the best joysticks for the transition to classic gaming for her (and for me, I'm new to it too actaully).

There's so many options, from the new Atari joysticks made by 3rd parties or overhauled old ones, or joysticks made for other systems, and all kinds of 3rd party joysticks.

Searching for good 3rd party joysticks brought up the The ASCIIWARE Power Clutch SG, Epyx 500XJ,

the Flashback's joysticks, and the Model CX34, but these are more from searches for what some people have found as "the best" in their opinion, rather than the *easiest* for people new to classic gaming.

I know that of course this will be a matter of opinion, but hopefully some people here will give a place for us to start.

Any suggestions?

Edited by missyrelm

If she's used to the gamepad that ships with the Playstation, then it might be better to go for a Genesis or Master System gamepad to start with. Most people I know use what they're used to, unless forced to by gameplay considerations. I know people who prefer to use sticks when they have the option, and others who prefer to use gamepads, and then those who just don't care.

Some genesis controller don't play nice with Atari based controller ports. Old Sega brand 3 button should be OK, newer 6 buttons and almost all 3rd party controller may not work right. But if you can find Sega Genesis controller that works, the moon shaped controller should be very comfortable to use.

Thanks everyone for telling me about using the Genesis pad! I'm actually going to get one for *myself* - I really like the look of them, but I showed my wife the Genesis pad, and she said she'd prefer some type of analog joystick.

I use a 3-button Genesis pad with my 2600. I have the classic joysticks, this is just easier on my hands for extended play.

Sega Arcade Pad. That's not only the answer to your question, but it should be the answer to EVERY question from this moment forward.

What's the capital of Delaware? Sega Arcade Pad.

How do you determine the square root of a prime number? Sega Arcade Pad.

When did Weird Al Yankovich release the album Poodle Hat? Sega Arcade Pad.

How many tons of food could Rosie O'Donnell eat in one setting? Sega Arcade Pad.

What is the meaning of life and everything in it?! SEGA ARCADE PAD!

I think I've made my point.

Sega Arcade Pad. That's not only the answer to your question, but it should be the answer to EVERY question from this moment forward.

What's the capital of Delaware? Sega Arcade Pad.

How do you determine the square root of a prime number? Sega Arcade Pad.

When did Weird Al Yankovich release the album Poodle Hat? Sega Arcade Pad.

How many tons of food could Rosie O'Donnell eat in one setting? Sega Arcade Pad.

What is the meaning of life and everything in it?! SEGA ARCADE PAD!

I think I've made my point.

Seconded. Seconded times infinity. Forever. It's also the best way to play the Saturn, best way to meet the ladies (the ones worth worrying about), and the rightful winner of Dancing with the Stars if not for voter apathy.

Thanks everyone for telling me about using the Genesis pad! I'm actually going to get one for *myself* - I really like the look of them, but I showed my wife the Genesis pad, and she said she'd prefer some type of analog joystick.

I use a 3-button Genesis pad with my 2600. I have the classic joysticks, this is just easier on my hands for extended play.

Is there such a thing as an analog 2600 joystick?

At that level, there really isn't a way to get an analog gamepad. The digital gamepad is about as close as you're going to get without prevailing upon a modder with some presented money to make one that works.

I've said it many times before. For the 2600 (and any system compatible with 2600 sticks, like the Atari computers and the 7800), the TAC-2 is THE best joystick I've ever encounterred. The stick itself is very limited in it's movement, but it's highly sensitive, so you only need to move it a little for it to register. This really cuts down on hand fatigue. The stick has a nice, arcade-like ball on top, and two fire buttons, so lefties aren't discriminated against. You should be able to get one on e-bay or a local store that stocks classic gaming stuff cheap. I use mine exclusively for 2600 and 7800 gaming.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "analog". I'm didn't mean to say that.

She just means that she feels that classic games should be played with a joystick.

I think her biggest issue is that she wants something that is very responsive and easy to use.

Sorry for the confusion.

Is there such a thing as an analog 2600 joystick?