IGNORED

GRRRRRRRAAAAARRRRGGGHHH! (Super Cobra)

Jess Ragan

Hey, I don't like THAT controller either, but it's not something you can complain about, since the 2600 isn't locked into it. You don't like the CX-40? You just buy an alternative to it... there must be at least a hundred of them, and half are as common as dirt with a price to match. If you don't like the 5200 controller, however, your options are a great deal more limited. You can either try to build an adapter (and believe me, that's not always easy!), shell out big bucks for a Wico Command Control, or shell out even BIGGER bucks for one of the other sticks produced in limited quantities for the 5200. That makes the inadequacies of the 5200 stock controller all the more difficult to accept.

Call it unfair, call it trolling. Call it whatever you like, but I will NEVER apologize for hating the 5200's stock controller. It's a horrible mess, and practically every industry insider from 1982 agreed that it hurt the system's appeal. Even the people who like it will grudgingly admit that the controller is prone to breaking due to a poor internal design.

Call it unfair, call it trolling. Call it whatever you like, but I will NEVER apologize for hating the 5200's stock controller. It's a horrible mess, and practically every industry insider from 1982 agreed that it hurt the system's appeal. Even the people who like it will grudgingly admit that the controller is prone to breaking due to a poor internal design.

You also don't come into nearly every conversation about the system and bitch about them. I love the 5200 controllers, and I'll be the first to admit theyre made cheap and prone to breaking. But that said I'd rather have a broken 5200 stick which I know how to fix, than a working 7800 or Coleco controller with the #1 and #2 fire buttons positioned on opposite sides of the controller.

With the exception of Gorf, there's not one 5200 title I can't play well with the stock controllers (well...Frogger to a degree but there's always the numeric keypad). And again for my part, I knew lots of people who had a 5200 back in the day and not one ever complained about them (other than the firing buttons wearing out), in fact I had never heard about how supposedly difficult the non self centrering issue was until I joined Atari Age. I used to hate the CV controllers like poison too until I played more and now they're not so bad. It just takes a litle practice is all.

Anyways I dont mean you Jess, I know you're not trolling. I bet though if you practice some more you'll do better. ;)

Hey, I don't like THAT controller either

<3

, but it's not something you can complain about, since the 2600 isn't locked into it. You don't like the CX-40? You just buy an alternative to it... there must be at least a hundred of them, and half are as common as dirt with a price to match. If you don't like the 5200 controller, however, your options are a great deal more limited. You can either try to build an adapter (and believe me, that's not always easy!), shell out big bucks for a Wico Command Control, or shell out even BIGGER bucks for one of the other sticks produced in limited quantities for the 5200. That makes the inadequacies of the 5200 stock controller all the more difficult to accept.

I wasn't talking about you.

You dislike them, sure. And you're verbal about it.

I can respect that.

But you don't come into every thread just to rant about them, tell people to get another system just because of the controllers, misread threads for the sake of adding more fuel to your controller hatred, spam advertisements for your chosen substitute across the board... you get the picture.

Every post I've seen you make has actual content beyond "the controllers suck" and you don't attempt to derail every thread into a console-bashing session because of the controllers.

ANYWAYS....

5200 Super Cobra. Horrible port of a game that wasn't that good to start with.

Edited by JB

Anyways I dont mean you Jess, I know you're not trolling. I bet though if you practice some more you'll do better. ;)

Hey, I don't HAVE to TRY to make people angry... I do it naturally!

What this comes down to is that you're mad that my opinion differs from yours and I'm not afraid to express it. If it's any consolation, I really feel the way I do... otherwise, I wouldn't have spent all that money on an extra Wico stick and all that time building adapters. However, I don't dismiss the system just because I don't like the joysticks packed with the unit. If I learned anything from the Dreamcast, it was that a game system is worth more than the sum of its stock controllers.

Edited by Jess Ragan

Super Cobra has playability if your not using the OEM 5200 Controller :roll: I have the Redemption 5200 the 7800 one, the last time I've played I got to level 5 :thumbsup:

Ummm.... Jess wasn't using a stock controller until I pointed out that the game was even worse with one.

And it's not the controller's fault that whoever ported this from the computer paid absolutely no attention to the input device being analog.

I like the 5200 OEM controller I just don't use it with all the games I play. ;) Yes I agree SC needs a calibration routine and then you might be able to play. The Jag had the same thing going on, have you played Checkered Flag? :x Bad development, play testers out to lunch, no quality control and someone said "Ok, This game is ready for release!" :ponder:

Edited by walter_J64bit

Hey, I don't HAVE to TRY to make people angry... I do it naturally!

What this comes down to is that you're mad that my opinion differs from yours and I'm not afraid to express it. If it's any consolation, I really feel the way I do... otherwise, I wouldn't have spent all that money on an extra Wico stick and all that time building adapters. However, I don't dismiss the system just because I don't like the joysticks packed with the unit. If I learned anything from the Dreamcast, it was that a game system is worth more than the sum of its stock controllers.

I'm not mad. :?

Well...not the angry kind of mad at least...maybe the insane variety a little...

What you were saying was just too BAD to be true, so I popped in the game one more time and tested it out with my stock controllers. One of them worked well enough, but the other one reacted exactly as you described, with the helicopter drifting out of control and into the cavern walls. And just as you predicted, it only took me five minutes to quit. Oh yeah, this is a real gem!

(Yet strangely, the ColecoVision version is even worse...)

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion. The CV version looks worse than the 5200 but it plays much better. The control is much tighter and it has the correct 2 button separate controls for bombs and shooting. It still has the annoying almost impossible section of tunnels but that's just the game itself. Play it with the Super Action Controller and it's not bad at all.

The 5200 version is pretty much no fun at all but the CV version isn't a bad game. It's definitely not worse tha the 5200 version.

I'm surprised that hardly any 5200 stock controller fanboys didn't pop a blood vessel over all the complaints on this thread!! Redemption Rules!!

Or any of the people who have their tounge up the butt of the likes of videogamecritic.net who have nothing better to do than complain about the 5200 or the Jag. :roll: Stun shock and disbelief, this is another title VGC gave an undeserving "F", and here you are again in another thread about the 5200 controllers.

Really, don't you have anything better to do? Plenty of people like the 5200 stock controllers. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

You should the 5200 contoller as a butt plug! The non-centering part of stick should make you really love the stick, fanboy!!

Nobodys crying.

And no YOUR opinion doesn't count. You're a piece of shit troll only here to start an argument. It's not a matter of how many posts, but how often they're completely worthless and only meant to agitate the people here to enjoy the hobby.

Much like VGC I'm sure you've never even played the games you criticize, so you're more than not worth the argument anymore.

Someone else can feed you from now on troll.

Now we rate people by how many posts we have. Boo Hoo. Again I guess if you don't hang a 5200 controller or a Jaguar over your bed and pray that one day they might actually be good pieces of video game equipment, your opinion doesn't count! Boo Hoo fan boys. Cry like little bitches!

Dude, stop acting like a douche.

Nobodys crying.

And no YOUR opinion doesn't count. You're a piece of shit troll only here to start an argument. It's not a matter of how many posts, but how often they're completely worthless and only meant to agitate the people here to enjoy the hobby.

Much like VGC I'm sure you've never even played the games you criticize, so you're more than not worth the argument anymore.

Someone else can feed you from now on troll.

What's the matter, I pushed the wrong button on the 5200 keypad! You have to resort to childish cursing? It doesn't make you look too intelligent. EVERYONE'S opinion counts! You belong in your own thread Titled: Disgruntled Over-Posting 5200 Fanboys!

Now we rate people by how many posts we have. Boo Hoo. Again I guess if you don't hang a 5200 controller or a Jaguar over your bed and pray that one day they might actually be good pieces of video game equipment, your opinion doesn't count! Boo Hoo fan boys. Cry like little bitches!

Dude, stop acting like a douche.

I guess you no life 6 Million post guys stick together!

@vaf5136

Trust me, the 5200 stick isn't as bad as you've heard by people who've never used it. They're simply parroting the negative comments about it they've heard so much, over the years, that it must be true. Try one for yourself (a working one that is) and you'll know the truth. The side mounted fire buttons are my biggest critism, everything else is okay. I've only had my 5200 since June of this year so with this system there's very little nostalgia associated with it.

BTW I also defend the CV & Inty controllers that are often maligned by vacuum heads who've never used 'em.

I wonder why PB decided to get the rights to Super Cobra rather than the superior (and original) Scramble?

I'm not sure, but it might have been either because of legal issues surrounding the game (Stern v. Kaufman) or the fact that it had already been licensed out to Western Technologies/GCE (for porting to the Vectrex).

I finished it with the stock 5200 controllers. Probably more than once--I can't remember

any more. It's very frustrating to get all the way to the booty, pick it up, and just fail to

clear the last barrier. If the booty touches that, it blows up and you have to replay the level.

Honestly, I think most modern shmups are much harder than Super Cobra, it's just that

it's hard in a very annoying way. At least I beat Super Cobra--I've been trying to finish

R-Type for 20 years and I still can't clear the first loop...

Trust me, the 5200 stick isn't as bad as you've heard by people who've never used it. They're simply parroting the negative comments about it they've heard so much, over the years, that it must be true.

100% true.

BTW I also defend the CV & Inty controllers that are often maligned by vacuum heads who've never used 'em.

Yep. I was the same way, blaming the contrllers. A little practice allowed me to get used to them. I would have missed out one lots of good games for both systems had I just played once or twice and gave up. I guess thats the difference between gamers and people just determined to hate something from the get go.