IGNORED

GRRRRRRRAAAAARRRRGGGHHH! (Super Cobra)

Jess Ragan

it always boggled my mind that people hate the 5200 controllers but dont say anything about the awkard hard feeling colecovision, wide disc unconfortable intellivision, and stiff 2600 controllers. 5200 controllers are a piece of great video game history. 5200 controllers help shape the future for sony controllers. yeah, they are unreliable, but i still luv em!

I've heard plenty of people complain about the ColecoVision and Intellivision controllers. I don't like those either. I'm not sure how the 5200 controllers shaped the way for future Sony controllers, as Sony's controllers don't suck. And there were plenty of analog joysticks before the 5200, and other systems with a numeric keypad, so nothing innovative there.

..Al

the dual analog joysticks has some of the dna of the sony's....

They aren't dual analog sticks, there's only one analog stick in each 5200 controller. You're reaching a bit. And as I said before, other systems (Odyssey 2 and the Apple II, for instance) had analog joysticks so that was nothing new when the 5200 came along.

..Al

the 5200 controllers can be dual when you use the dual setup with games for robotron and space dungeon...a concept that was pretty cutting edge when it first came out. no other home system did that on their controllers. plus the 5200 had the pause button on the controller, a feature that was a new concept that odyssey, apple, intellivision, and coleco didnt have.

i'm not saying that the 5200 controllers are great, and you cant deny how unreliable they are, but people that grew up on the 5200 controllers didn't have a problem with them if they worked.

Edited by phuzaxeman

I can still insult the 5200 STICKS huh?

Just save your breath and get a MasterPlay Interface, or just get an A8 computer and ditch the 5200 altogether ...I might do just that myself. I was never too hot on the 5200 and resisted buying one. A nice one was available locally, so I bought it...but buying it and using it has not made me a believer.

Got the redemption. It's best used with the Epyx 500 stick or the Genny 6 button otherwise the 5200 is unplayable.

If could just see my 9 year old when hes trying to use the OEM controllers its unplayable to him. Hes hands are too small to hold on the OEM controllers, he like using the Redemption 5200 with the 7800 game pad or the Wico Joystick.

The redemption is a Godsend! If only someone could build one for the Colecovision.

Does the Colecovision really need something like the Redemption? How many games actually use the second button? IIRC most of them use only one of them.

It could use it. If you have ever played any CV game with a Sega 6 button you would know what I mean. I wired up a CV controller so that you would use the CV controller keypad but at the bottom of the controller I wired in a female DIN plug to accept any 2600 compatible controller. It works really well and it beats swapping out the controllers after the game select screen.

Edited by vaf5136

I seem to be the only one around that actually enjoys the fact that all of the old systems had such varied controllers. I find it part of the excitement for playing each system, whether it be the CV, INTV, 5200, 2600, Fairchild Channel F, Astrocade, TI99/4A, Apple ][, Tandy CoCo, Arcadia or the APF M1000. I wouldn't want them all to be the same, like most are today. I don't dislike a single one of them and would not have it any other way.

Then again I fell the same about cars. Vintage vehicles have such style and class while modern cars all look like the same type of bubble-mobile.

Edited by darthkur

I seem to be the only one around that actually enjoys the fact that all of the old systems had such varied controllers.

No, I enjoy the variety quite a bit. It's actually using a number of them that sucks. :D

The Intv is the only one I cant stand and wont play - I have an Inty II that even has the joystick piece you can put on the disc and its just not fun. No prob playing the CV or 5200 with standard sticks, though I prefer my 130XE over the 5200.

The Intv is the only one I cant stand and wont play

The Inty controllers are bad enough, but don't punish yourself excessively by using the INTV2. Possibly the worst controller of all time.

I actually got rid of my INTV2 because of the horrific controllers. I find the INTV3 much better. Not like that's saying a whole lot though. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just played the 5200 version of Super Cobra last night. Now I know why the original poster hates it so much. I find the 2600 version to be a million times easier and therefore better.

Vanguard seems to have similar issues.

Maybe I'm just not used to the sensitivity of the 5200 controller yet but it can make lots of stuff difficult.

Does the Colecovision really need something like the Redemption? How many games actually use the second button? IIRC most of them use only one of them.

It could use it. If you have ever played any CV game with a Sega 6 button you would know what I mean. I wired up a CV controller so that you would use the CV controller keypad but at the bottom of the controller I wired in a female DIN plug to accept any 2600 compatible controller. It works really well and it beats swapping out the controllers after the game select screen.

I'd like to know how you did this, as I've given some thought to doing it myself. Where do you connect the wires? There are three contact points for each direction, and I'm not sure which one (or ones) to use.

• 10 years later...

I always liked Super Cobra. Finished it lots of times on the 2600, A8 machines, and on the 5200 - of course without the heinous stock controllers on that one. icon_mrgreen.gif

I know this is an old post, but CONGRATS on completing it on the 5200! I just recently picked up a copy for myself. I never played Super Cobra back in the day. Judging by these comments, there aren't many who have been able to get through to the end. Until I read through these comments I would have bet the game was impossible to conquer (on the 5200 system). Despite the use of Rapid Fire and unlimited continuations, I am stuck on the last cavern on the progress bar (not bad for a 64-yr old senior gamer). IMO the chopper is too long and there doesn't seem to be enough time and space to descend before crashing the rear end or front end into the vertical wall ahead. If I have the patience to get to that point again, I'll keep plugging away!

For what it's worth, I believe you have to use an analog (rather than digital) controller to navigate through the caverns. I've tried both styles. You need analog because you need to rely on the variable acceleration as you navigate; as well as time your approach when you're in the vicinity of anticipated tank fire. I have rebuilt my stock controllers and also modified them slightly. Installing new boots has made a significant difference in control over the worn out originals that were still installed on my '80's controllers. I think the new boots (purchased at Best Electronics) are a little stiffer, which seems to allow the joystick to self-center better; giving you a little better control. I've noticed improved play-ability with River Raid as well.