IGNORED

Server Migration Complete - 11/11/07

Albert

Wow. Search is much faster now. And since when have we been able to search for literal, multi-word text strings? :love:

Yeah, the search should be much better, and I haven't even tuned MySQL for this server yet (which has 4GB of RAM, twice as much as the old server). I should be able to give MySQL quite a bit more memory for buffers, which should make it even faster.

Can you give me an example of some searches that you tried that did not work on the old server? I wasn't aware anything changed in this regard. Certainly nothing I did on purpose, but if it is different I'd like to figure out why. :)

Thanks,

..Al

Can you give me an example of some searches that you tried that did not work on the old server? I wasn't aware anything changed in this regard. Certainly nothing I did on purpose, but if it is different I'd like to figure out why. :)

Thanks,

..Al

I doubt it's related to the new server. I probably just haven't been paying proper attention to the IPB updates, but I'm referring to not being able to quote literal strings of text when searching. For example, "Game Program". You referred to the problem in this old thread. It appears we can now run these kinds of searches.

Curious... I just ran a quoted search for "game on". That search contains a two letter word that isn't usually allowed, but the search returned a list of results anyway. "On game" also returns a list of results. However, when doing a search for something like "Game on Lynx", where the two letter word is surrounded by words with three or more characters, I get the standard notification that some of my keywords were below three characters. :?

Try rebooting your machine to see if that clears out the old DNS data..

IIRC routers cache DNS adresses too, so resetting the router might help.

Do cheap consumer routers actually cache DNS addresses? I didn't think they did, but if they do resetting them certainly wouldn't hurt.

..Al

I am currently logging in thru a proxy...I think it might be my ISP.

I rebooted several times....I don't use a router....I've tried everything I can think of....

My Posts is 10 billion times faster. Is it just the new server or did you lower the number of results? (I normally don't need more than one or two pages of results.) Once they fix the bug that makes viewed threads appear to be unread, everything will be perfect.

Thanks.

My Posts is 10 billion times faster. Is it just the new server or did you lower the number of results? (I normally don't need more than one or two pages of results.) Once they fix the bug that makes viewed threads appear to be unread, everything will be perfect.

Thanks.

I did not make any changes at all to the forum. Mainly it's faster because the server has more memory, the CPUs are faster, the hard drives are faster, and I have a more aggressive firewall setup to try and cut down on the number of spammers mailbombing non-existent atariage.com email accounts (all spammers must die a horribly painful, excruciatingly slow death).

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Well I dont know about how well the new server is because I havent seen Revsdr since i paid for my games and Im not sure whats going on but he hasnt logged in since before the server change i think and I have no games yet either so im thinking it could be a server issue??

And Sheehan cant get in either and has gave up trying.

:?: I wonder how many people still cant get in???? :?:

Well I dont know about how well the new server is because I havent seen Revsdr since i paid for my games and Im not sure whats going on but he hasnt logged in since before the server change i think and I have no games yet either so im thinking it could be a server issue??

First, you posted this in the wrong topic so I moved your post.

The server was moved two weeks ago. If someone cannot still get to this server, it has absolutely nothing to do with the new server and everything to do with either their local system or their ISP. Your post is the first I've heard of any potential problems people may still be having. Revsdr did successfully login on Monday, November 12th, which is after the server was moved. Who is "Sheehan"? There are no members by that name or even close (I just looked). If you can have this individual contact me directly at albert@atariage.com I will try to help them.

..Al

First, you posted this in the wrong topic so I moved your post.

The server was moved two weeks ago. If someone cannot still get to this server, it has absolutely nothing to do with the new server and everything to do with either their local system or their ISP. Your post is the first I've heard of any potential problems people may still be having. Revsdr did successfully login on Monday, November 12th, which is after the server was moved. Who is "Sheehan"? There are no members by that name or even close (I just looked). If you can have this individual contact me directly at albert@atariage.com I will try to help them.

..Al

Atarimania75. Sorry, i thought that was common knowledge. And no offense was meant, I know i couldnt get in at first and he's tried everything to get in and I did email you direct 2 weeks ago and thought you had helped Atarimania75 figure it out when i didnt hear back from eitehr of you until he emailed me 3 days ago saying he gives up. Just wondering out loud if anyone was having problems or knew of any others and NO malice was intended.

Atarimania75. Sorry, i thought that was common knowledge. And no offense was meant, I know i couldnt get in at first and he's tried everything to get in and I did email you direct 2 weeks ago and thought you had helped Atarimania75 figure it out when i didnt hear back from eitehr of you until he emailed me 3 days ago saying he gives up. Just wondering out loud if anyone was having problems or knew of any others and NO malice was intended.

If he cannot see this server, then either his computer, his router, or his ISP is caching the old DNS information for atariage.com. I am writing him an email now.

..Al