IGNORED

What so great about the FB2?

The sticks are probably the single biggest reason to buy one, especially if your old ones are worn. You can also hack a cartridge port onto it so you can play old 2600 carts. But, since it has significant compatability issues, I'd probably skip that. If nothing else, its fun to have around as an Atari collectible.

But, since it has significant compatability issues, I'd probably skip that.

Not half as significant as those NES/Fami-clones, and those things sell like hotcakes. I wouldn't mind getting one and modding it just for the composite output, I've got my heavy sixer if I wanna play Pitfall II.

The sticks are probably the single biggest reason to buy one, especially if your old ones are worn. You can also hack a cartridge port onto it so you can play old 2600 carts. But, since it has significant compatability issues, I'd probably skip that. If nothing else, its fun to have around as an Atari collectible.

I think people harp too much on the compatibility issues. Remember that this console was sold as a standalone unit to play the 40 (well, 42) games built-in, and it does run those games without problems. That it even plays original Atari 2600 binaries and can be modified at all with a cartridge port is thanks to Curt Vendel, who put a considerable amount of time and energy into this project to cater to classic gamers, even though we represent only a tiny percentage of those who'd buy the Flashback 2. There are two hidden games, a test mode, the unit includes two new 2600 joysticks that are compatible with old systems, and features several prototypes and homebrew games--all things that the general populace would not even blink if omitted. And it does play the majority of the 2600 library without problems--it's typically the more advanced bankswitching carts that have problems. Considering the 2600 hardware was created from scratch for a unit that sold at $30 retail including 42 games and two new joysticks, I think that's pretty commendable.

..Al

• 1 year later...

I think the fact that FlashBack 2's are going for upwards of $70 on the internet right now (out of production) this should be a good sign to Atari that it might be time to work on releasing FB 3 and 4!! :-) Yes, and doubling the game capacity would be nice.... and a high score keeper, etc.

I wasn't impressed with the FB1, either. It's a joke. But the FB2 is a different animal altogether. It's the most we can ask for right now in this economy without ramping up a whole new gaming corp, etc. Just put out a cheap 80+ games joystick.

B

I have a flashback 2, it's actually what renewed my interest in the 2600. However, my joysticks that came with it no longer function, and I've in fact gone back to really old original atari controllers instead. Weird world.

Oh yes! And the joysticks alone are worth it! They are reproductions of the originals and they work on your old system, well worth the $20 in my opinion!!! I'm using them on my old 7800 right now. ;-)

B

I think the fact that FlashBack 2's are going for upwards of $70 on the internet right now (out of production) this should be a good sign to Atari that it might be time to work on releasing FB 3 and 4!! :-) Yes, and doubling the game capacity would be nice.... and a high score keeper, etc.

I wasn't impressed with the FB1, either. It's a joke. But the FB2 is a different animal altogether. It's the most we can ask for right now in this economy without ramping up a whole new gaming corp, etc. Just put out a cheap 80+ games joystick.

B

I have a flashback 2, it's actually what renewed my interest in the 2600. However, my joysticks that came with it no longer function, and I've in fact gone back to really old original atari controllers instead. Weird world.

There are two hidden games, a test mode, ...

Sorry for replying to an old post, but how do you get into test mode?

From the FAQ:

Diagnostic/Test Mode -

While holding the Reset and Select buttons down with the B/W & Color Switch in Color mode -

Power on and you'll get a Joystick test mode

Doing the same thing with the switch in B/W mode -

Power on and you'll get a Paddle Controller test mode

There are two hidden games, a test mode, ...

Sorry for replying to an old post, but how do you get into test mode?

From the FAQ:

Diagnostic/Test Mode -

While holding the Reset and Select buttons down with the B/W & Color Switch in Color mode -

Power on and you'll get a Joystick test mode

Doing the same thing with the switch in B/W mode -

Power on and you'll get a Paddle Controller test mode

Thanks, I will have to try that!

• 2 months later...