IGNORED

Redemption 5200: Small number available! SOLD

Albert

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm giving thanks that I own a 5200 redemption! It's the single best accessory available for that system. The best part of using the redemption is that the useless stock controller is only used for the keypad and the start /reset/pause buttons. No mushy stick!! Enjoy and give thanks that Albert has made some more available. Happy gaming.

Today I made 10 more Redemption adapters. Two of them are the 7800 model (that lets you use Atari 7800 joysticks and supports both buttons), and eight of them are 2600/Genesis/SMS models (lets you use 2600 joysticks as well as SMS/Genesis controllers and supports two button games with those). These are tested and all I have to do is finish assembly (dremel some 5200 shells, assemble and label) and they're done. If you want one, please PM me. Price is $60 shipped in the US/Canada and $65 elsewhere. Payment must be made via PayPal or credit card.

If you already sent me a PM and I wrote you back but you haven't paid, please write me again or you will forfeit your copy.

Will post pictures tomorrow once I've finished assembling them.

..Al

Just finished testing and assembling 12 Redemptions! Here's a picture:

redemption_2.jpg

As of right now, six of the 2600 adapters are available as well as the two 7800 adapters. The 2600 adapter will work with 2600-compatible joysticks and Genesis/SMS controllers. The 7800 version will work with the 7800 Pro-Line stick and d-pad controller. The price is $60 shipped in US/Canada and $65 elsewhere. Please PM me for payment information. Don't wait long as these are on a first-come, first-serve basis and I may never be making another batch of these!

..Al

Got my 7800 version today and can't get the white cable to stay hooked to the 5200. I'm not sure what's going on. Is this only for 2 port 5200s or something?

The Redemption will work with either system. Unfortunately, Atari in their infinite wisdom decided to recess the 5200 controller ports, meaning that normal DB25 connectors do not fit very deeply into the 5200 ports. If you look at a 5200 controller cable, you'll see that the connector itself is fairly long and even has a little tab to help the connector stay in place. When we were designing the Redemption we were not able to find a supply of 5200 controller cables or extension cables, so we had to have cables manufactured, but they use normal DB25 connectors.

The earlier cables I had to actually use a dremel tool on to cut away some of the plastic around the connector to make them fit better. The next batch of cables were better in this regard and did not need further modification. However, with either set the connection isn't as good as with a 5200 controller cable. It's best if you can plug the Redemption in and let it rest on a hard surface in front of the 5200 where the rubber feet on the Redemption will help prevent it from moving. It's not ideal, but without spending a gazillion dollars on having a unique connector made that will fit deep into the 5200 controller jacks, I don't know of anything else that can be done.

..Al

Got my 7800 version today and can't get the white cable to stay hooked to the 5200. I'm not sure what's going on. Is this only for 2 port 5200s or something?

The Redemption will work with either system. Unfortunately, Atari in their infinite wisdom decided to recess the 5200 controller ports, meaning that normal DB25 connectors do not fit very deeply into the 5200 ports. If you look at a 5200 controller cable, you'll see that the connector itself is fairly long and even has a little tab to help the connector stay in place. When we were designing the Redemption we were not able to find a supply of 5200 controller cables or extension cables, so we had to have cables manufactured, but they use normal DB25 connectors.

The earlier cables I had to actually use a dremel tool on to cut away some of the plastic around the connector to make them fit better. The next batch of cables were better in this regard and did not need further modification. However, with either set the connection isn't as good as with a 5200 controller cable. It's best if you can plug the Redemption in and let it rest on a hard surface in front of the 5200 where the rubber feet on the Redemption will help prevent it from moving. It's not ideal, but without spending a gazillion dollars on having a unique connector made that will fit deep into the 5200 controller jacks, I don't know of anything else that can be done.

..Al

One solution is to use an extension cable.

Allan

Yeah I ordered an extension cable from oldschoolgamer.com over the weekend. I figured I could probably use electrical tape or duct tape it to what's currently coming out of the redemption unit.

Mine fits snug unlike on the 5200, so you most likely won't have to use any tape.

Allan

• 1 month later...
The Atariage Redeption 5200 is not in production any more but I found this on ebay; an original 2600 to 5200 controller adaptor:

Atari 5200 Masterplay Interface for 2600 Joysticks RARE

Hopefully someone can use it, I don't have a 5200.

post-9089-1201911825_thumb.jpg

missing the additional stick on fire button

• 3 months later...

I would love to buy a Redemption 5200 if one is still available for Atari/Genny

Thanks,

Tom

These are all sold out now..

The Redemption 5200 adapter has not been in the AtariAge Store for a while, but I've scrounged up enough board and parts to build a small number of them. So far I have built up four, and I can build up to six more if there is demand for them. The first four I will be able to ship out this week, any after that would likely be next week. These are the 2600/Sega version that allows you to plug in any Atari 2600-compatible joysticks as well as Sega SMS/Genesis controllers (allowing you to play two-button games).

Redemption2600Adapter.jpg

After I go through these, I will not have any of these to sell for quite some time, possibly never. I am out of boards and the custom cables we had built for these, and I have no plans to order more for now (they are a pain in my ass and time consuming to build).

The price is $60 shipped in the US/Canada and $65 outside the US/Canada. I imagine these won't last long, so please PM me if you'd like to buy one.

..Al

• 6 years later...

Is there any chance you could make one for me Albert? I'm really getting frustrated with even my gold-plated refurbished default controllers. They just aren't very reliable.

Please pm me, or just respond on this thread. I know this thread is really old (last reply was 2008), but I've been looking for these on the net, and can't find them anywhere.

Edited by KAZ