IGNORED

Wii with kinda loud DVD drive?

SINGLE TOOTH

So i traded a computer for a Wii.

I'm starting to get a little paranoid about the sounds my Wii is making. When you first turn the unit on, and there is a disc in, you can hear the drive working. I never noticed this on other people's wiis..

Also, right before I just turned the system off, I was playing some Wii sports, and I thought the CPU fan in my computer was humming, but it turned out to be the wii reading the disc.

Anyone else have a loud Wii? Should it be cause for concern? I don't have a reciept for it.

Yeah I can hear it chug away when it's reading the disc. Sometimes the volume varies depending on the printing on the disc also, if it's more raised you get more noise. I have DVDs that make a hell of a row in my similarly slot-loading Mac drive.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes..the Wii has one of the loudest or noisest DVD drive mechanisms I've ever heard. Mine makes a heck of a noise almost sounding like it is grinding at times when loading and reading some of the release games. However, I've noticed with newer titles like MP3, SMG, and Dewy that is has gotten much more quite.

I used to also have an issue with my Wii killing comms with the remotes and leaving a blank screen. Thankfully since the 3.0 update, this seems to have disappeared completely!!!

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't worry about the noises you hear from the DVD drive. Have you heard it "beep" yet? That threw me the first time I heard it do that. Doesn't do it nearly as often as it did new, but that "beep" from the DVD drive when turning it on and off and loading games used to really freak me out...

Yes..the Wii has one of the loudest or noisest DVD drive mechanisms I've ever heard. Mine makes a heck of a noise almost sounding like it is grinding at times when loading and reading some of the release games. However, I've noticed with newer titles like MP3, SMG, and Dewy that is has gotten much more quite.

I used to also have an issue with my Wii killing comms with the remotes and leaving a blank screen. Thankfully since the 3.0 update, this seems to have disappeared completely!!!

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't worry about the noises you hear from the DVD drive. Have you heard it "beep" yet? That threw me the first time I heard it do that. Doesn't do it nearly as often as it did new, but that "beep" from the DVD drive when turning it on and off and loading games used to really freak me out...

My Psone beeps and I have a few othter computer drives that beep, so that really wouldnt have freaked me out as much as the kinda whirring and clicking noises.

But these responses have really relaxed me about the situation.

I like they way that, even though it could easily have done so, it doesn't do CDs or DVDs. This is Nintendo for you, they're not interested in being the 'home hub', it's a games machine, pure and simple.

And it tells you what the weather is..

In case you want to take your DS outside..

Worst optical drive noise ever = Dreamcast.

Is the Wii louder than the DC? I always thought it was the noisiest system.

As far as the pure terror that your lens assembly is going to shoot out the side of your console, nothing beats the Dreamcast. My 360 and Wii both seem to run pretty comparably loud, but the clickiness on the Wii is worse than the 360. The Wii is a real mystery because it shouldn't really be doing anything above and beyond the quiet GameCube. Nothing's louder than a Dreamcast though. :)