IGNORED

What I think of my new Lynx II

theking21083

My Lynx II finally arived it was the first time to get my hands on one of these bad boys. I like the size and shape of it, I can play for hours without any discomfort. The battery life doesn't seem as bad as people say, it's not any worse than the Game Gear. It seems to have a strong selection of games in it's library to keep me playing for the rest of my life. To top it off I got a sleek looking carrying case to haul around my system, accessories, and games. As a total package I give the Lynx a 10/10. I had more fun playing this for a few hours then I ever had with my Gameboy or Game Gear.

Here is what I think so far of the 17 games that I got with the system:

Chips Challenge - Loved it on the PC and Love it on the Lynx. This is a excellent port of an excellent game. So far all of the levels are their just as I remember but with advanced visuals. 10/10

Crystal Mines II - I played the first Crystal Mines on the NES for many many hours and I can see me doing the same for it's sequal. 10/10

Ishido - Interesting little tile game but very challenging. I see myself poping in this game every now and then. 7/10

Jimmy Connors Tennis - I'm not a sports fan (especially tennis) but this game seems like it was fairly good for what it was. 5/10

Klax - I liked this game on the NES and it's just as good on the Lynx. I like how they rotate the screen in this game. 8/10

Kung Food - This game seems to have a bad reputation but I found it mildly amusing. Not the greatest game but way better then some others that I have played. 6/10

Malibu Bikini Volleyball - Again, I'm not a big fan of sports and I didn't realy give this much playtime but I thought it was mediocre. 5/10

Pac-Land - Nice sidescroller but not the best version of this game that I have played. Could have been better but still lots of fun. 8/10

Pinball Jam - Fun little pinball game. I'm not a huge pinball fan but I could see myself getting an urge to play this every so often. Plus I always had a thing for Elvira. 7/10

Pit Fighter - An even crappier port of an already crappy game. It's so slow and jumpy that it just is not any fun at all. Did I say that it was crappy? The only fighting game on this earth that is worse then Pit Fighter is Shaq-Fu. 2/10

Qix - Very challenging but still a fun game. I do have trouble seeing the little sparky things that come after you but I'll get over it. 8/10

Rampart - I like building up my castle and barraging the ships with cannon balls. It does get old after awile but is fun in small bursts. 7/10

Robo Squash - This game was not very interesting but I think it would be a blast playing it with a friend. 5/10

Super Skweek - Lots of levels and lots of fun. This game could keep me going for the years and I still probably will never get past all of the levels. 9/10

Toki - This is an excellent platform game. A little challenging but not too much to keep me from playing. I loved this game on the Genesis and this port seems to hold up well. 9/10

Tournament Cyberball - Football is not my cup of tea and it still isn't. I got my ass handed to me but I do like the robots in the game. 4/10

Xybots - I liked the visuals and 3-D effects but thats about all this game has going for it. 4/10

I know that their are many other games out their for the Lynx that are good and bad but these are the only games that I have so far. I couldn't compare them to any other games so I rated them accordingly to what I had to work with. I hope to get some more games soon because I have a huge list that I made of games that I want to get. I will try to keep this thread updated when I get new games to try out.

Edited by theking21083

Nice read. and congrats, I love the Lynx, favorite Atari system next to the 5200. I recommend Roadblasters, Hydra, Rampage, and Todd's Adventures in Slime world.

I also disagree with a couple of your mini reviews, for example, Yes Kung Food is as bad as people say, 2 out of 10. And Xybots, 7 out of 10. It's a pretty technical game for it's time, it's a bit on the slow side but it's still some damn good fun.

I agree that Xybots is technical and it looks realy nice but it just got boring after a few levels. I'm sure that if you compare Kung Food to some other games of the same style it sucks big time. I don't have anything else to compare it to so I could only rate it on its own. It's really not a horrible game on its own.

Is Pinball Jam as crap as people say it is?

It seems interesting.

I think it's better than the Jag's Pinball Fantasies.

Ya, but compared to it's contemporary portable pinball games like Devil's Crash on the TurboExpress or even Revenge of the Gator on the Game Boy, Pinball Jam is pretty sub-par... I love video pinball, but I have a hard time fighting with that game for too long - it's just too hard to figure out what's going on! On the other hand, I was playing Devil's Crash today - 15 years later and I still need to hit that game every couple weeks... I'm as addicted to it as I am to California Games on the Lynx... ;)

Which reminds me, theking21083 didn't mention California Games in his opening post. GO OUT AND BUY IT ASAP! California Games is a Lynx MUST HAVE!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

It seems interesting.

Ya, but compared to it's contemporary portable pinball games like Devil's Crash on the TurboExpress or even Revenge of the Gator on the Game Boy, Pinball Jam is pretty sub-par... I love video pinball, but I have a hard time fighting with that game for too long - it's just too hard to figure out what's going on! On the other hand, I was playing Devil's Crash today - 15 years later and I still need to hit that game every couple weeks... I'm as addicted to it as I am to California Games on the Lynx... ;)

Which reminds me, theking21083 didn't mention California Games in his opening post. GO OUT AND BUY IT ASAP! California Games is a Lynx MUST HAVE!! :)

ok so by now you GOTTA have Cali games right??? and hopefully for your sake Roadblasters, rampage, and ninja gaiden.

It seems interesting.

nope, I got slime world and thats it for now. I'm hoping to get some more after christmas.

ok so by now you GOTTA have Cali games right??? and hopefully for your sake Roadblasters, rampage, and ninja gaiden.