IGNORED

IGN's new top 100 games of all time -list completed

8th lutz

http://top100.ign.com/2007/

Their criteria for creating this list of with 30 editors is the the following:

Eligible games had to have been released no later than December 31, 2006 (perspective is a good thing)

A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

The list is comprised of single, stand-alone titles and doesn't include compilations, expansion packs or add-ons.

Titles with multiple editions such as collector's boxes, gold editions or direct re-releases have been consolidated into one single entry, with the edition deemed most deserving taking precedence.

Updated versions of original titles were only included on the list if they were significantly different from their predecessors.

100. Archon: The Light and the Dark- C64, NES, PC

99. Rayman 2: The Great Escape- DC, N64, PC, PSX, PS2

98. Quake II- MAC, N64, PC, PSX

97. Silent Hill 2- PC, PS2, XBX

96. Wave Race 64-n64

95.) Bionic Commando- ARC, GB, NES, PC

94.) NiGHTS into Dreams...-saturn

93.) Ultima VII: The Black Gate- PC, SNES

92.) WipEout 3-playstation

91.) Pilotwings-snes

Edited by 8th lutz

Boy that's an extremely annoying setup they have there. One page for each game, and no master list? And not posting the entire list at once, to make you come back to the site periodically just to see what new games they've added? Just a means to serve up more ad impressions to fill up their coffers with. Screw that.

..Al

90. Okami-ps 2

89. Alone in the Dark - 3DO, MAC, PC, PSX, SAT

88. Star Wars (Atari)- arcade

87. Advance Wars-GBA

86. Perfect Dark-N64

85. Mafia- PC, PS2, XBX

84. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle-MAC, PC

83. World of Warcraft- MAC, PC

82. Syndicate- 3DO, GEN, JAG, MAC, PC, SNES

81. Space Invaders-2600, 5200, ARC, GB

80. Ninja Gaiden Black-xbx

79. Secret of Mana-snes

78. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening-GB, GBC

77. Star Fox-Snes

76. Final Fantasy VII-PC, PS1 (Ign had the wrong platform-They claimed the games was on the ps 2! :ponder: )

75. GoldenEye 007-N64

74. Sam & Max Hit the Road- MAC, PC

73. Resident Evil-PC, PSX, SAT

72. MechWarrior 2-MAC, PC, PSX, SAT

71. Planescape: Torment-pc

70. Tecmo Bowl-Nes, GB

69. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty-ps 2

68. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time-GCN, PC, PS2, XBX

67. Mega Man 2-nes

66. Burnout 3: Takedown- PS2, XBX

65. Thief II: The Metal Age- pc

64. Total Annihilation-MAC, PC

63. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution-ARC, PS2

62. Wolfenstein 3-D-3DO, JAG, MAC, PC, SNES

61. Phantasy Star IV-GEN, PC

60. Prince of Persia - GEN, NES, PC, SCD, SGG, SMS, SNES, TG-16

59. Command & Conquer: Red Alert-PC, PSX

58. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!-nes

57. ICO-ps 2

56. NHL '94- GEN, PC, SCD, SNES

55. Final Fantasy II- GBA, PSX, SNES, WSC

54. Contra- ARC, GB, NES, SGG

53. Rome: Total War-PC

52. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty- PC

51. Sonic the Hedgehog-GBA, GEN, SGG

50. Super Smash Bros.-N64

49. Guitar Hero II- PS2, X360

48. Shining Force II-Gen

47. God of War-PS 2

46. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2-DC, MAC, N64, PC, PSX

45. Battlefield 1942-MAC, PC

44. Panzer Dragoon Saga-SAT

43. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn-MAC, PC

42. The Legend of Zelda- Nes

41. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island-Snes

40. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec -PS 2

39. Super Mario Bros. 3- NES

38. Final Fantasy Tactics-PSX

37. Pokémon Blue Version- GB

36. Grim Fandango-PC

35. Grand Theft Auto III -PC, PS2, XBX

34. Deus Ex - MAC, PC, PS2

33. Fallout-MAC, PC

32. Halo: Combat Evolved -XBX

31. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask-N64

30. Metroid Prime-GCN

29. Dragon Warrior-nes

28. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness-MAC, PC

27. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic-MAC, PC, XBX

26. Half-Life-MAC, PC, PS2

25. SimCity 2000-MAC, PC, N64, PSX, SAT, SNES

24. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior-ARC, PC, SNES

23. Super Mario Kart-snes

22. System Shock 2- PC

21. X-COM: UFO Defense- PC, PSX

20. Metal Gear Solid-PC, PSX

19. Doom-3DO, 32X, MAC, PC, PSX, SAT, SNES : ign didn't mention the jag. version :ponder:

18. Chrono Trigger- PSX, SNES

17. Super Mario World-GBA, SNES

16. Shadow of the Colossus-PS2

15. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night-PSX, SAT

14. Pirates! -MAC, NES, PC

13. Ms. Pac-Man- 5200, ARC, GB, GEN, LYX, SNES -Ign didn't mention the 7800 or the 2600 version :ponder:

12. Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM) PC

11. StarCraft -MAC, PC

10. Resident Evil 4-GCN, PC, PS2, Wii

9. Final Fantasy III (US)- GBA, PSX, SNES

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past-GBA, SNES

7. Super Metroid- SNES

6. Half-Life 2-PC, XBX

5. Super Mario 64-N64

4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -N64

3. Civilization II-MAC, PC, PSX

2. Tetris-ARC, GB, MAC, NES, PC

1. Super Mario Bros.- Nes

Edited by 8th lutz

That list is terrible, with too much emphasis on modern stuff that only seems big now because the reviewers/readers can remember being excited about news posts about it last year or the year before. I wrote that without looking at the list. How'd I do?

Their tastes aren't that cliche' this time.

ign_top_game_100.jpg

Edited by A Sprite

That list is terrible, with too much emphasis on modern stuff that only seems big now because the reviewers/readers can remember being excited about news posts about it last year or the year before. I wrote that without looking at the list. How'd I do?

Not overly accurate yet. There are still 60 games not announced yet in the rankings. It too early to tell.

IGN didn't count any games that were released in 2007.

The only game I can see so far from 2006 is Okami.

This one is really different so far compare to the most lists in the last 10 years. I am saying that because Phantasy Star 4 being ranked higher then Final Fantasy 7. The 2nd thing is GoldenEye 007 being ranked 75th.

Their tastes aren't that cliche' this time.

ign_top_game_100.jpg

Hmm. Not yet. So far it's almost reasonable. I expect that to change around the top 50. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Wait a second, how is freaking Mafia on there? How is Mafia ahead of Star Wars, Bionic Commando, and Nights?

Edited by Atarifever

Has Mario 64 been listed yet? That'll probably be in the Top 10 if not #1. :roll:

Nope.

There are plenty of spots left. It is possible that Mario 64 will not be in the top 10 since Final Fantasy 7 was only 76th.

Really, you can usually count on Super Mario 3, Mario 64, a Zelda game and FF VII in IGN's top ten. So maybe things will be different.

Love the fun facts on Ultima VII: The Black Gate. Although at the time I considered Ultima Underworlds I superior to it.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate contains numerous references to some of the tension that existed between EA and Origin at the time.

Two characters, named Elizabeth and Abraham (E and A), appear to be good-hearted characters, doing good deeds at various points, but they prove themselves to be less than trustworthy when they show their murderous ways. Elizabeth and Abraham are in league with game baddie The Guardian -- called "The Destroyer of Worlds." And wouldn't you know it? Origin used "We create worlds" as its company motto.

The picture for star wars is incorrect. Here is another quote on Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time.

Ubisoft is surely happy that the gamble paid off with Sands of Time. The vast success of the cult hero spawned two successful sequels (Warrior Within and The Two Thrones) and 2D versions for the Game Boy Advance and cell phones.

Huh? I thought the game bombed so bad that Ubisoft decided they had to "thug up" the later incarnations in order to get gamers interested?

Sonic the hedgehog made it in there. Personally I consider Sonic 2 to be the better title.

Edited by Shannon

Love the fun facts on Ultima VII: The Black Gate. Although at the time I considered Ultima Underworlds I superior to it.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate contains numerous references to some of the tension that existed between EA and Origin at the time.

Two characters, named Elizabeth and Abraham (E and A), appear to be good-hearted characters, doing good deeds at various points, but they prove themselves to be less than trustworthy when they show their murderous ways. Elizabeth and Abraham are in league with game baddie The Guardian -- called "The Destroyer of Worlds." And wouldn't you know it? Origin used "We create worlds" as its company motto.

It would be hard for me to choose between the Ultima VII games and Ultima Underworlds, as I enjoyed all of them immensely. But I guess Ultima Underworld was pretty unique for its time, so I have to give the nod to it.

I wasn't aware of the EA references through "Elizabeth" and "Abraham", that's clever. :) I have seen people walking around Origin wearing EA Borg shirts, though..

EABORG_XO.jpg

The "XO" graphics in this image refer to the Ex-Origin mailing list, comprised of people who used to work at Origin..

..Al

Mario 64 was one of the worst games ever made. I'll wear that stamped on my forehead. (I'm not challenging Mario 64 fans - I am just saying what I feel and that is it.)

I actually like this list so far. The games that are a bit of a thorn in my side are GoldenEye64 and Perfect Dark - neither game was anything special, but they were both some of the first "FPS" games for a home console. I can see how they would be on there due to sales, but any PC FPSer (Wolfenstein, DOOM) or MAC FPSer (Marathon) didn't think twice about GoldenEye when it came out.

I really wonder how they order these. You have such a large pool of games from which to pull your top 100. If they are in special order, the order is so odd. Take a look at these three -

Wow. Those are definitely three very different games from three different eras. How do you hold Syndicate in one hand and Space Invaders between the other and draw a line putting one ahead of the other? Heck - they might say, but I am just reading 8th Lutz's post.

Mario 64 was one of the worst games ever made. I'll wear that stamped on my forehead. (I'm not challenging Mario 64 fans - I am just saying what I feel and that is it.)

I actually like this list so far. The games that are a bit of a thorn in my side are GoldenEye64 and Perfect Dark - neither game was anything special, but they were both some of the first "FPS" games for a home console. I can see how they would be on there due to sales, but any PC FPSer (Wolfenstein, DOOM) or MAC FPSer (Marathon) didn't think twice about GoldenEye when it came out.

I really wonder how they order these. You have such a large pool of games from which to pull your top 100. If they are in special order, the order is so odd. Take a look at these three -

Wow. Those are definitely three very different games from three different eras. How do you hold Syndicate in one hand and Space Invaders between the other and draw a line putting one ahead of the other? Heck - they might say, but I am just reading 8th Lutz's post.

Saying Mario 64 is one of the worst games ever made is quite ludicrous, as I'm sure you know that nearly everyone else feels that it's one of the best games ever made...lol. It's like saying, "I think Tiger Woods is one of the worst golfers of all time"...lol. Let me guess, you are a Sega drone and bitter about how the Saturn was perceived in the US? ;) Also you say Goldeneye wasn't special? It was only the most kickass 4 player home console game in the late 90's... Only Mario Kart 64 rivaled it in 4 player fun imo. Although I'm sure some will say Smash Bros.

Edited by kevincal

Even as an unfinished Half-Life 2 mod, Goldeneye received awards in the PC gaming community - your fanboy panties are showing. :P

Saying Mario 64 is one of the worst games ever made is quite ludicrous, as I'm sure you know that nearly everyone else feels that it's one of the best games ever made...lol.

Everyone else feels E.T. is the worst game of all time. It doesn't mean that everyone else is right.

I'll be nice today and say if I were to make a top 100 list, Mario 64 wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Saying Mario 64 is one of the worst games ever made is quite ludicrous, as I'm sure you know that nearly everyone else feels that it's one of the best games ever made...lol. It's like saying, "I think Tiger Woods is one of the worst golfers of all time"...lol. Let me guess, you are a Sega drone and bitter about how the Saturn was perceived in the US? ;) Also you say Goldeneye wasn't special? It was only the most kickass 4 player home console game in the late 90's... Only Mario Kart 64 rivaled it in 4 player fun imo. Although I'm sure some will say Smash Bros.

"Everyone else" I know around here actually agrees that Mario 64 "Isn't a Mario game" and some of those also believe it is quite boring. I am not quite sure how you can say I am alone in this opinion. A few others in this very thread made some points that aren't quite as wild as mine are (haha!). If you look at the transition of two of the major franchises to the N64 - Mario & Zelda, you can see a night and day difference between proper adaptation. Zelda has always been an action/adventure game that centers around exploring, puzzle solving, and fighting. When they moved it from isometric to a tomb raider POV, it worked because the nature of the game was retained. Mario64 on the other hand was a laughable installation in the Mario franchise because they turned it into an adventure game. It's extremely slow and is nothing like a Mario game. A Mario game is typically fast paced - not quite like Sonic - but Mario is a sidescroller where you grab powerups & coins as you push from one level to another.

I love how two of you came to the conclusion I am a fanboy of something else because I don't love something that you hold true to your heart - I'll have you know I am not a fanboy of anything. I simply think Mario64 and GoldenEye are two horrible games. What is wrong with that?

GoldenEye had horrible controls and was totally pointless as a multiplayer game because you could see where everyone else was - where is the fun in that? Mario Kart 64 was a much better multiplayer console game. I think I am with you on that one.

Even as an unfinished Half-Life 2 mod, Goldeneye received awards in the PC gaming community - your fanboy panties are showing. :P

I am going to have to drop a big "I have no idea what you're talking about" here. What do you mean? What fanboy? What is it with you people calling me a fanboy of something because I don't like something? :D If I came in here saying I was a HUGE fan of Mario 64, that would make me a fanboy - but if I don't like something....then ...I must be a fanboy of something else? Can you offer me an explanation here? I am confused. They are two horrible games - that's my only point. There is no hidden meaning.

Also regarding your point about the unfinished Half-Life 2 mod of GoldenEye - what does that have to do with anything? It's a completely different game. What fanboy panties? I'm still confused.

For the record - I am not really a fan of FPS games in general. :P

"Everyone else" I know around here actually agrees that Mario 64 "Isn't a Mario game" and some of those also believe it is quite boring. I am not quite sure how you can say I am alone in this opinion. A few others in this very thread made some points that aren't quite as wild as mine are (haha!). If you look at the transition of two of the major franchises to the N64 - Mario & Zelda, you can see a night and day difference between proper adaptation. Zelda has always been an action/adventure game that centers around exploring, puzzle solving, and fighting. When they moved it from isometric to a tomb raider POV, it worked because the nature of the game was retained. Mario64 on the other hand was a laughable installation in the Mario franchise because they turned it into an adventure game. It's extremely slow and is nothing like a Mario game. A Mario game is typically fast paced - not quite like Sonic - but Mario is a sidescroller where you grab powerups & coins as you push from one level to another.

I love how two of you came to the conclusion I am a fanboy of something else because I don't love something that you hold true to your heart - I'll have you know I am not a fanboy of anything. I simply think Mario64 and GoldenEye are two horrible games. What is wrong with that?

GoldenEye had horrible controls and was totally pointless as a multiplayer game because you could see where everyone else was - where is the fun in that? Mario Kart 64 was a much better multiplayer console game. I think I am with you on that one.

I am going to have to drop a big "I have no idea what you're talking about" here. What do you mean? What fanboy? What is it with you people calling me a fanboy of something because I don't like something? :D If I came in here saying I was a HUGE fan of Mario 64, that would make me a fanboy - but if I don't like something....then ...I must be a fanboy of something else? Can you offer me an explanation here? I am confused. They are two horrible games - that's my only point. There is no hidden meaning.

Also regarding your point about the unfinished Half-Life 2 mod of GoldenEye - what does that have to do with anything? It's a completely different game. What fanboy panties? I'm still confused.

For the record - I am not really a fan of FPS games in general. :P

Fanboy used to mean you loved something irrationally. Those were more innocent times.

Now it usually means you have an irrational hate of whatever you don't like.

Is it a bad thing?

Hell no; you're easily the best thing to happen to this thread. If we all agreed on everything, most of us would be unnecessary.

Where I'm blowing the whistle is your claims to speak for the PC community, when even a simple mention of it's recent efforts to bring back Goldeneye went over your Google adverse head.

My opinion, just as relevant as yours, is that you really don't care whether you're right.

This was all about getting that rant out of your system.

I wish more people would do it.

Edited by A Sprite

Oh hey - on 8th Lutz's added numbers -

60. Prince of Persia - GEN, NES, PC, SCD, SGG, SMS, SNES, TG-16

59. Command & Conquer: Red Alert-PC, PSX

58. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!-nes

57. ICO-ps 2

56. NHL '94- GEN, PC, SCD, SNES

55. Final Fantasy II- GBA, PSX, SNES, WSC

54. Contra- ARC, GB, NES, SGG

53. Rome: Total War-PC

52. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty- PC

51.Sonic the Hedgehog-GBA, GEN, SGG

Lots of good ones in there, too. I really liked Prince of Persia, but I never finished it because I ran out of time. I've never picked it up since that time. Thinking back, I think I played it on PC with a joystick - that's really kinda odd. Probably why I didn't do so hot.

Mike Tyson's P.O. was great. It's too bad that it eventually had to be stripped of "Mike Tyson" - but it's still a fun game. The NHL series was a lot of fun back then. FFII (IV) is one of my favorite FF games. Contra is a great classic. I never played Rome: TW, but I know a few people that liked it. Sonic also got his fair share of attention with his release on Genesis.

Anyone play Dune II or ICO? I've never played them.

Hey Shannon - You mentioned Sonic II as being better than Sonic I. I have both of these games, but I have only really played just a little bit of Sonic I. Do you want to talk a bit about that?

My opinion, just as relevant as yours, is that you really don't care whether you're right.

This was all about getting that rant out of your system.

I wish more people would do it.

Exactly. The tough part is that we all have to read the discussion as words on a screen rather than get to joke around about it in the same room. Sometimes I'll write something, read it over again and be like...eeeeehh..that might sound like an attack on someone when it is really just a strong point I am trying to make for my side of the discussion.

I guess that is why we use these: :D I guess I just don't use them enough as I should.

Just as much as I want to state my opinion, I *want* to hear everyone else's. That is what makes discussion boards great.

...... :D

Saying Mario 64 is one of the worst games ever made is quite ludicrous, as I'm sure you know that nearly everyone else feels that it's one of the best games ever made...lol.

Everyone else feels E.T. is the worst game of all time. It doesn't mean that everyone else is right.

I'll be nice today and say if I were to make a top 100 list, Mario 64 wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Ya um, what are there...10's of THOUSANDS of videogames? lol. Of course it wouldn't be on everyone's top 100...but saying "IT'S ONE OF THE WORST GAMES OF ALL TIME" just makes no sense at all and just makes a person saying that look like a complete fanboy, who hates Nintendo...