IGNORED

So... I tried the Euro Joypad

DragonmasterDan

There's also the telegames joystick, similar to the original 7800 controllers, but slightly smaller, with smaller buttons, a smooth knob, and a slightly more comfortable design.

I also like the joypads, although the crosspad can be pretty inaccurate and can move it you get rough with it. But they're great for marathon playing where the joystick would render you arthritic. The telegames controller is cool, and has the rapid-fire switch.

There's also the telegames joystick, similar to the original 7800 controllers, but slightly smaller, with smaller buttons, a smooth knob, and a slightly more comfortable design.

I also like the joypads, although the crosspad can be pretty inaccurate and can move it you get rough with it. But they're great for marathon playing where the joystick would render you arthritic. The telegames controller is cool, and has the rapid-fire switch.

How locatable is the telegames stick?

I'm a big fan of the joypad as well, but like everyone says, the D-pad can be very inaccurate (especially in Asteroids!). The buttons are also too far apart, so when I'm playing a game that requires two buttons, I have to uncomfortably stretch out my thumb to reach button 1.

Yeah, the buttons are way too far apart and the D-pad is stiff (this was a brand new pad too so it's not like it was damaged). How much luck have people on here had with modding NES pads or Gen pads to use dual fire?

I'm a big fan of the joypad as well, but like everyone says, the D-pad can be very inaccurate (especially in Asteroids!). The buttons are also too far apart, so when I'm playing a game that requires two buttons, I have to uncomfortably stretch out my thumb to reach button 1.

Yeah, the buttons are way too far apart and the D-pad is stiff (this was a brand new pad too so it's not like it was damaged). How much luck have people on here had with modding NES pads or Gen pads to use dual fire?

I assume you unscrewed the Thumbstick?

How locatable is the telegames stick?

In the UK, Telegames is constantly selling them on evil bay.Link to current auction

I love the Euro Joy pad, I use them on all of My Atari's that can use them. With the Euro Joy pad you can't be hard with it and it works just fine but you if get Heavy Handed it just suck buttons can get stuck. Now for NES fans I would do the 7800 hack for NES game pad. :D

Edited by walter_J64bit

I find the joypad only works for some games. It's really good for Double Dragon, Planet Smashers, and it's the closest thing to a good way to play Realsports Baseball (although that's not saying much). I also like it for Scrapyard Dog. For Impossible Mission it is terrible (sometimes you want to walk right but instead you go up an elevator and into some robot lasers), and I don't think it's useful for much else from what I've played. I prefer the prolines to the joypads for most games.

How does it work with that Gauntlet style game? The name illudes me at this moment. Just asking as I want to get a couple of these just for that purpose.

I use the Goatstore stick for Dark Chambers, and that's far superior to either the Joypads or Prolines for that game. I find the joypads bad for games where you have to do a lot of dodging enemies in close quarters (due to the less than great D-pad), so I don't think it'd be too good in Dark Chambers.

How does it work with that Gauntlet style game? The name illudes me at this moment. Just asking as I want to get a couple of these just for that purpose.

I use the Goatstore stick for Dark Chambers, and that's far superior to either the Joypads or Prolines for that game. I find the joypads bad for games where you have to do a lot of dodging enemies in close quarters (due to the less than great D-pad), so I don't think it'd be too good in Dark Chambers.

Hmm, how much is a Goat Store Jamma stick going for these days anyway?

I quite like the PAL controllers. When playing Asteroids I hold it "camera style" with my right hand. The thumb of my right hand is placed under the controller with my first two fingers covering the 2 buttons. The left hand thumb covers the dpad in the traditional way. The controller is tipped forward slightly away from you and I can thrust and shoot through batches of rocks pretty effectively and have no problems activating hyperspace.

I picked this up from a video games tipster book - it is the recommended style of play with NES Gradius where the 2nd button is used to activate powerups and using your fingers gives you a better rate of firing. I can remember using this technique very effectively when sword fighting in SNES Prince of Persia.

Edited by davyK

According to the people here who are handy enough to make their own, too much. I didn't see it that way though, as I'm about as handy as someone in a coma. It was $59.90 for the 7800 one. I'll warn you, it's pretty bulky.

According to the people here who are handy enough to make their own, too much. I didn't see it that way though, as I'm about as handy as someone in a coma. It was $59.90 for the 7800 one. I'll warn you, it's pretty bulky.

Most Jamma Sticks are bulky. LOL

• 2 weeks later...