IGNORED

my first wild find! - miner 2049er

brett6400

I started looking for Atari 2600 cartridges in the wild at the start of summer, but I never found a single cartridge until today... At a local thrift store I purchased MINER 2049ER in excellent condition for $3. :D I passed on also purchasing MISSILE COMMAND or DONKEY KONG for $3... :roll:

HOLY POOP! That is an AWESOME first find! Totally shibby!

That's a tough one to find. I got mine off of ebay and it ended up being a fake, somebody had put a new Miner 2049er copied pcb in an old Miner 209er case. (they screwed it up too, and failed to get the pcb to line up with the cart slot on the VCS, so I have a hard time getting it in the Atari). caveat emptor, I guess. :sad:

But hey! Good for you! Odd how there has been much talk about this game as of late... :ponder:

Thanks for the congratulations guys!

As I said, I'd been looking off-and-on most weekends since May and had yet to find a single cartridge for sale in the wild! I think I'll keep the $2.99 red grease pencil marking on the back of the cartridge as a reminder of my first find in the wild! :)

post-1877-1027806606_thumb.jpg

post-1877-1027806607_thumb.jpg

Sweet find! 8)

I run across stuff in the wild around here from time to time. Still, once you get near the 200 mark, it gets harder and harder to add anything new to the collection w/o going the eBay route. Haven't found a "Miner 2049er" yet.

Congrats!

I went to that San Jose Flea market in May, and was super excited about seeing Atari. I figured that is where it all started. Apparently, until about two years ago, that was THE find capitol of the region- prototype games, systems, unreleased variations- that would all end up there via thrift stores and trash heaps. Seriously, that was happening.

Now, everybody there knows what Atari is, and what you will find is way overpriced. I saw a heavy sixer, in a reconditioned system box for 79 or 89 bucks, cant remember which. Not a bad find, but an ebay price. Only other Atari there was one lady with three copies of Combat and a Superman (which I bought) for 4 bucks each.

Good luck. My advice, look for NES valuables, as they are far more plentiful, and most people do not know what individual carts are worth for that system. I would get ahold of a DPGuide, if you dont have one, and know the carts that are worth some bucks. There were easily 5000+ carts there, just few Atari... :(

Good luck, and please, PROVE ME WRONG! (I would love to hear you found a Cosmos or Space Invaders handheld!):)

Cassidy

Thanks for the advice, Cassidy.

On Sunday I went to two flea markets and a dozen garage sales.... no Atari. I agree that NES cartridges are more plentiful. The thrift store that had only three Atari carts (including Miner 2049er) at $3 each had probably two dozen NES carts at $5 each.

I just got done copying a NES cartridge rarity guide into my Palm PDA, since I'm not that familiar with NES offhand. Maybe I'll stumble across some rare NES in my pursuit of Atari.